Metal Gear Solid 4 - got it, what do you think....

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by boodikon, Jun 12, 2008.

1. BamBoozleD

BamBoozleD Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 670 FTW LE Sli
    Yeah, sometimes I wished it were just full length movie. But yeah, It looks like all cut scenes was done with mocap. I loved his M4 custom so much I built an airsoft version of it. And yes its the Operator, very nice handgun.

2. Strikerx80

Strikerx80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 980 Ti SC +120/+300
    well i think it is the best game ever. its really hard to call this over ff7 but i think it might be better. i would need to play a ps3 version of ff7 to call it.

3. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Its best game ever for me too. infact its something different. i mean, some people hated it because they called it "this is not a game". All dependds on expectations. MGS series r always meant to be cinematic. And with MGS4 they made it the TOP. its good to see people think like me .i mean cinematics of this game is awesome and we ask for more.

4. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    They said it wasn't a game because the cinematics were very long. Fair play, but what they forget about is that there's easily more gameplay in there than your average game. I agree with Strikerx80 and Mr.Bigtime, it's the best game ever.

5. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    yea the game was absolutely amazing...finished it 2x already first run all guns blazing second run through 0 kills...just the graphics, gameplay...attention to detail with everything...not to mention the story...what a fitting end to the series

not to mention the ending was just awesome...can't remember the last time i played a game with an ending this good...all the games these days seems to have like a crappy 20 second cinematic sorry excuse for an ending...you think with the amount of effort developers put into making some great games they'd bother with making a good ending to the game...

the only thing i am disappointed is that the MGS series have come to an end...definitely my all time favourite gaming series

6. TekkMarine

TekkMarine Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti GTX SC

Same here man... My fav game of all time!...
    Just when i thought console games are dead MGS brings it back to life. And yeah im also disappointed the MGS series is coming to an end. Though i will be keeping a close eye on whatever Mr Kojima works on next.

7. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Damn good to see people love it!

And i wish they REMAKE the series with this engine to PS3 :)

8. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    i think of it second best game of all time lol

for me it simply cant beat Zelda: Ocarina of Time

9. Strikerx80

Strikerx80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 980 Ti SC +120/+300

yeah but this is only the end of the timeline. they are gonna be making more metal gear games. im betting the next one will be on how raiden rescues sunny from he patriots, and becomes the crazy android ninja.

10. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    * SPOILER ALERT* - potentially

ahh feckin game, i got near the end( the thing with the 2 dolls ) and i get to a certain point at least 10 mins through it and die( i get the doll and die soon afterwards ), grrrrrr, snnnnnaAAAAAKKKKKKEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!

Feckin thing is annoying,mainly because of the time it takes to get to that point, havnt played it in months because of that and as ive so many other games ive given next to no time though, it i definately the best MGS since MGS1 on the PS1

11. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    COOL! i want to be RAIDEN!

12. Strikerx80

Strikerx80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 980 Ti SC +120/+300

sure now after mgs4 everyone wants to be raiden but before everyone hated him lol. i think they made him so damn awesome in mgs4 on purpose so they could sell games with him as the main character

13. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Well, sounds to reasonable. They teased him good. Those action squences.damn good. i wonder if the game stlye will be like a bit God of War or other PUSH the Right Button in the Right Time. u know raiden makes complicated moves. it better be this way in my opinion. press x in the correct time and he will do his finishing move while battling.

14. Strikerx80

Strikerx80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 980 Ti SC +120/+300
    now thats a cool idea a god of war type game starring raiden!

15. Invincible

Invincible Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 3850
    SPOILER WARNING!!!!!!!!

Even though it is one of the best games ever (for me personally at the least), i must say it is not without flaws. here is what disappointed me:

1, Naomi's death and the way her death was handled. why does she need to die? one minute she was all good and the next minute she is announced terminally ill and 30 seconds later she dies..wtf? why cant she just have a happy ending with otacon? her death is very different to the boss'es death in MGS3, her death had pretty much no purpose. Also dialog of this scene is corny. i mean really, they can do better than that.

2, Big boss'es revival. I can understand the ending needed some kind of closure for the whole major zero vs big boss conflict, and we all want to see snake not shoot himself. but all in all i dont think it was wise to revive big boss once again. if big boss can be revived like that - effectively reconstruction of a human being from cell level, purely using DNA information, then every dead character can be revived from this game.

3, Eva's death. again i can see why Hideo want her dead - to put an end to the patriot, but i think it felt forced, she should have been the one at the end explaining everything to Snake.

4, the whole "liquid is ocelot but not really thing".... it was ok in MGS2, but now it is just silly. who is ocelot really working for?? the twist twists so many times i just lost interest, i think so would ocelot himself. liquid snake was never an interesting character to start with, dragging him along every where feel quite tiresome.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009

16. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    should really put a spoiler warning...but anyway

i agree with naomi, sucks to see her die...but your other points:

big boss was in a coma...the thing you saw burnt 'alive' in chapter 3 is actually solidus snake and not big boss...so not sure what you mean by "effectively reconstruction of a human being from cell level"

with 'liquid ocelot'...there wasn't any liquid at all...it was ocelot all along...but in order to trick the patriots system he made himself as if he was really taken over by liquid through psycho therapy of some sort and nanomachines in order to hide his true intention which was to end the patriots and to free big boss...he knows any direct assault on the patriots system is useless that's why he uses solid snake as a means to destroy the system (in which the patriots are least likely to suspect because the patriots been using solid snake as a mean to stop all plans in destroying the system)...in the end he wasn't working for anyone...he wanted to destroy the patriots and free big boss just as eva wanted to because of everything that happened to the patriots

17. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    i was always confused about the SAGA of MGS and now its more complicated :S :p

18. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    grr, i just read that about Naomi, feck

19. Invincible

Invincible Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 3850
    SPOILER WARNING!!!!

i know it was solidus's corpse that was burnt. Big boss died once in MG1, once again in MG2, by the time of MGS1 he was dead as a brick, not in coma, in MGS4 they introduced the idea that technology can reconstruct a human body, this is why you see raiden in human form in the ending, his original human boday was destroyed before MGS4, and made into a Cyborg, but in the end he returned back to human form. Big Boss was the same.

I also fully understood the storyline with ocelot, my point was simply that it was too many twists on top of each other it reached the point of totally improbably.

20. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    SPOILER!!!

i never played MG1 and 2...only read the story time line so don't know how 'dead' big boss was :p

but the reconstruction of the body as a cyborg was already there in MGS1...that was how frank jagger came back...also none of them were supposedly dead...just really, really maimed lol hence they had to be reconstructed and really that part of story didn't really bother me

i thought the story was really well done not to mention how they had to have reasonable explanations for a lot of the twists and wtf's in the game...but that's not to say i didn't feel there weren't some minor plot holes as well...such as when big boss said naomi told him about the virus strain in snakes body i was thinking big boss was in coma and technically would not have woken up until the patriot system was destroyed which by that time naomi was already dead so how she could have told him everything was beyond me...but all in all i really enjoyed the twists in the storyline and i thought the whole thing was just so damn well done...for me personally it was almost the story more than the gameplay that kept me wanting to play the next metal gear solid (and that's not saying the gameplay was by any means substandard)