Got the itch...

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Slam, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Slam

Slam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    for a i7 920. Got it all in the cart, and ready to buy. Just having a really hard time deciding.

Any of you that have a 920 now, and had a similar Core2 and oc like mine, notice much difference at all? How does Vista 64bit run with the 920 compared to the Core2 etc? And of course, I will be oc'n the hell out of it.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  2. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3070
    all the synthetic benchmarks say this (insert number here lol)% an that % difference between c2d an i7,but from personal use its better then what alot of the reviews say you will feel the responsiveness right off the back,vista 64 an win7 run fast an faster,without getting into a bunch numbers,ill just say you will notice the difference when your actually using the machine from smoothness in games to faster running appz to definatly faster video coversion,you will be happy thats what i will say for sure

3. Slam

Slam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    Thanks Phoenix!

What were you running before?

Anyone else have some input?

4. GregM

GregM Member Guru

GPU:
    ES BBA HD4870 512mb
    Same general experience as Phoenix. I moved from a Q6600 at 3.6Ghz to a i7 920 at same clock speed.

5. Slam

Slam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    And you're feeling it?

6. worthy

worthy Master Guru

GPU:
    2 ATI hd 4870 512s
    To me, the biggest selling point would be the massive increase in multi-gpu scaling. On that alone it is an incredible upgrade.

Gives new life to an already existing multi-gpu setup.

7. GregM

GregM Member Guru

GPU:
    ES BBA HD4870 512mb
    Most certainly am. I have several RTS games that I have savegames for that I've had to put on hold until i7 came out. Core 2 Quad could not handle the massive unit counts. In Supreme Commander, Earth Conquest map, when playing against 7 AI's all on hard difficulty and with unit cap increased by 500% over stock game limits, the Q6600 simply chokes 10 hours into the game. All 4 cores by that point show between 40-80% busy, none at 100%, but the game is crawling. Core i7 shows 2 cores at 100% and the rest between 20-60% (HT enabled), but the game remains playable and allowed me to finally finish that battle.

Company of Heroes has a similar issue where playing on the map The Rhine with 4 German AI's on expert difficulty and playing the map for extended time. Once the main town that crosses the river gets pummeled by artillery for several hours of game time, the game becomes almost unplayable when looking at that area of the map. The Core i7 does not.

It's little things that Core 2 chokes on that I see Core i7 powering through with ease that impresses me the most. If you play FPS games only, forget seeing any advantages. If you play mostly RTS games, and you play those maxed out like I do, i7 is worth it's weight in gold.

8. Slam

Slam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    I hear ya there. I've seen the multi-gpu scores.

But if I'm single gpu (albeit a good one), does your rig basically feel more responsive all the way around?

9. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    If you are going multi GPU, emphatically yes. Otherwise, I'd wait.

Im not going to get into an argument with GreGM but his scenarios are not proven and are based on his own observations which he has never backed up with any numbers, merely his own statements.

Secondly, they are obscure and do NOT represent normal gaming scenarios. Further, no review I have read, or my own experience back his claims.

His argument will likely be that they dont stress the processor the way his scenarios do but I defer to the experts on this one. CoH and Supreme Commander ran fine on my Q9550 and they run fine on my i7. Benchmarks in multiple reviews confirm this.

Every benchmark I have seen (RTS, Simulation, FPS etc) does not show extensive gains in a single GPU scenario with an i7 processor.

With more than one GPU, things change drastically.

I have a Q9550 and a i7 965 and I cant say I really notice any difference in my gaming experience (single GPU).

Equally, it's likely the i7 will provide more performance gains as newer games that take advantage of it's power are released.

Photoshop, Premiere and After Effects are noticeably faster.

Thats my 2c

10. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3070
    was running a c2d e6600 clocked at 3.5ghz,4gigs of ram,i thought i wouldnt see much of a difference but whooooooooooooooooo i am impressed an thats hard to do lol

11. GregM

GregM Member Guru

GPU:
    ES BBA HD4870 512mb
    Yes, because you can show number that prove 1Gb of ram plays BF2 at the same FPS as 2Gb does. And only somebody who is blind playing both scenarios won't feel the difference.

Part of my complaint was the complete LACK of RTS gaming benchmarks, on ANY site. But your putting up FPS games as the model all games follow was purely silly and shortsighted.

What happened to not getting into an arguement with me? OH, you baited the comments just so you COULD get into said arguement while claiming not to. And your ridiculous reliance on the canned benchmark in SupCom shows you know nothing about it's engine.

Really? Bullcrap. Just how many RTS and simulation benchmarks have you seen? You haven't seen many at all. They're being broadly ignored, which takes me back to my complaint of earlier.

Name those games for us. How broad of a scope have you tested?

And that's about all it was worth . Thanks for the flame bait :/

12. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    More rudeness and conjecture and NO facts to back up the endless stream of misinformation that spews forth from your keyboard.

Before asking other people to back up their statements, I suggest you back up your own.

Im not talking about FPS games. Its you who insists that everyone uses FPS games as a benchmark, not I.

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=16189&page=6

http://www.sharkyextreme.com/hardware/cpu/article.php/3261_3782516__10

The 965 is showing a 16% gain in COH which is ok (but not what I would consider huge), and that CPU is also $1000.00.

http://ixbtlabs.com/articles3/cpu/intel-ci7-920-p3.html

(The WiC Results)

Again, I wont enter into a flame war with a guy who seems to know very little about PCs and is equally unwilling to accept fact.

My post was not a flame bait, it was quite simply asking you for some proof of your statements. Statements that you make in EVERY thread where someone asks about i7 performance and statements that have no basis in fact.

Here's an idea, stop spreading misinformation OR present evidence of these HUGE gains.

Tx in advance.

Eth

13. GregM

GregM Member Guru

GPU:
    ES BBA HD4870 512mb
    You talk about rudeness and bait arguements. I'm done dealing with hypocritical nonesense out of you. Next attempt to bait an arguement gets reported. I'm not going round and round with a closed mind like yours.

Any evidence I present will instantly be argued against by you, so why should I waste the time? I DO have numbers. But posting them for your picking apart pleasure isn't on my daily agenda. I'm not spreading false info, but your trying REAL hard to wish it was false, I don't understand what your malfunction is. Fact is, not one detail you've given proves it false either. So you can stuff the holier then thou act, you've already proven what a hypocrite you are by saying you don't want an arguement in the same post you baited one.

14. GregM

GregM Member Guru

GPU:
    ES BBA HD4870 512mb
    And read your OWN links. Sharkey's WIC test shows the i7 920 2.66Ghz beating a QX9770 3.2Ghz chip by enough to show (a 533mhz disadvantage) that clock for clock, i7 is far superior in RTS gaming. Also look at Company of Heroes for same thing :p

ixbt's WiC results were so low that they obviously benchmarked at a GPU limited resolution, or didn't you catch that little detail?

And Hexus's benchmarks are horridly broken, showing scores that are all over the place and make no sense unlike Sharkey's that were exactly as expected.

Thanks for proving my point for me.

15. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    Firstly, there is a massive difference in playing BF2 with 2gb as opposed to 1gb. With 1gb you get a huge amount of paging, even though the framerate may not be that different.

Secondly, stop all this ridiculous arguing. It seems to be happening way too often, and involves the same people time and time again. It has reached the point where infractions are going to be handed out to anyone continuing to derail threads with this petty nonsense.

If you deliberately bait someone into an argument, expect an infraction. If you get baited by someone, report it. If instead you choose to reply to it in the usual way, you will also get an infraction. No more concessions, you know who you are.

16. GregM

GregM Member Guru

GPU:
    ES BBA HD4870 512mb
    No problem, I totally agree :)

17. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    nvm Morbias and his "FINGERS" cough, beat me to it lol.

18. Slam

Slam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    Hey...gimme my thread back! :)

Any other i7 owners lovin it...or was it not that big of a deal?

19. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Its a great processor and I love it.

I had the 920 for a few months and then switched to the 965. Both have been excellent. I was running the 920 @ 3.2 but I dont even bother overclocking the 965.

I definitely notice improvement in Photoshop and some other apps that take advantage of it.

If you aren't experiencing slowdowns with your current rig, I'd wait around for Nvidia's next graphics offering and build from there.

If money isnt a concern and/or you do more than just game, it's the best choice out there.

Regards,

Eth

Last edited: Mar 11, 2009
  20. 8800gts320mb

8800gts320mb Master Guru

GPU:
    msi gtx 760 2gig
    my last setup was
    quad i think it was a 9500 & 2.5
    8800gts 512
    asus maximux formula

love the intel i7 not o/c yet as i will soon DOSENT NEED O/C really.
    i was extractimg a game from wimrar it must have about 3 gig or so and must of took about 1 min or less toextract !!

only just built this rig and not done alot to it yet but i can feel alot more response and quickness to it.and not regretting it...