Windows 7

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by cockneysean, Oct 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CharlieSimon

CharlieSimon Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Geforce GTX 970
    The full 3.2

2. Dmented

Dmented Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1080 ROG Strix
    So, I'm guessing it will keep the activation or will it mess with it?

3. sunderland

sunderland Master Guru

GPU:
    xfx 5770
    will just wait then as there is only 11 seeds and over 3000 leechers,will take a month to download

4. jumjumski

jumjumski Member Guru

GPU:
    mobility 4570
    not that long,only 6 hours:cheers:,will report later..

5. CharlieSimon

CharlieSimon Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Geforce GTX 970
    Don't know yet :)

Will tell when I've got it installed.

Downloading right now at 800kb/sec

6. Dmented

Dmented Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1080 ROG Strix

Torrent is crap for me right now, will have to keep it on over night unless someone finds a direct link to Microsoft. :D

7. Peerless

Peerless Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 sli 4gb
    Yea I know I just went through the pain of putting vista back on and finally said to hell with it! The winsxs folder in vista is a freaking joke! Within a few hours it had ballooned up to 13gb's! Plus I was having issues with games launching on it to so I just reinstalled 7 and now I am happy again. Vista is the new windows ME.

8. Luumpy

Luumpy Master Guru

GPU:
    470gtx s/c
    Windows 7 was nice,but after latest updates ,boot times are longer,games that ran well now stutter,and it seems chopy and unresponsive.Still freezes up from time to time.
    Way to go M$.
    Back to vista,which also locks up,way too much.

9. CharlieSimon

CharlieSimon Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Geforce GTX 970
    What updates?!
    Which build?!
    More information please :)

10. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Guest

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Sounds more like a driver/hardware issues. I have yet to experience any of those things in 7/Vista.

11. xankazo

xankazo Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 SC (6GB)
    yeah, me neither. still working like a charm.

12. mykledw

mykledw Guest

GPU:
    MSi RTX GT 2080
    Torrents are the devil for sure can SOMEONE of you Gurus please give us a decent link???????????????????

PPPPLLLEEAAASSEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!

13. mykledw

mykledw Guest

GPU:
    MSi RTX GT 2080
    Ditto, I am using win7 as main OS and love it.................

14. macdaddy

macdaddy Guest

GPU:
    TITAN X
    Why is it that some people here like the Bag Vista ?. Vista is a very stable platform now. It has gone a long way since its RTM release. Its people that has used vista for maybe just a week that complains most. I have used vista since beta and stuck with it because i know that its a new OS back then and it will have its fair share of issues, But now its gone a long way and is very good OS. Some people here maybe never even tried to stick with Vista because they can run a game on it when others will run and the start bagging Vista. While others just read or hear about Vista problems who never used Vista and start saying bad things when they haven't even tried it. Vista got a bad rep because from the early release and word of mouth and internet forums insured that it got a bad rep. Vista is a very good OS. They ONLY problem that's the downside of Vista is the it s resource hungry.

Now i have ran windows 7 for a few months now and im back to vista. Windows 7 looks promising it takes less resource and it will run most programs. Interface is easy and useful and very thought of the user. But there were a few problems here and there but that is expected of a beta. Now i can't say when microsoft will release but im sure the when it is released, It too will encounter some form of problems with programs and software. Thats why they have service packs. SO to end it here STOP bashing Vista its not perfect but its a very capable OS.

15. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    The only problem people will see is that win7 is going to get major support and promotion and might feel vista is left behind. Bit like the win2000 or winxp era. Ofcourse, I'm sure many on vista will stay on vista, but, I have a feeling that the performance numbers themselves will make many vista users migrate over to win7. It's amazing how much that 5% (perhaps?) performance advantage becomes a big deal especially in a place like this :D I'm sure I went over to winxp originally due to game support and perceived stability?

Those of us who didn't get vista and want to jump straight to win7 are in for a treat and longest support time :)

We know vista is going to be phased out eventually, win7 pushes that date forward. vista can't get rid of it's bad image. If they made win7 free for vista users then there would be no problem here (some are apparently getting win7 for free).

16. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    I haven't read up on windows 7 but from what I was told by someone who apparently knows alot, windows 7 is basically a tweaked Vista with a new name? They are just trying to shake the bad image I'm told but at it's core it's still Vista.

17. sunderland

sunderland Master Guru

GPU:
    xfx 5770
    CharlieSimon did you manage to get the 7048 version mate and if so did you put it on,as im thinking of just upgrading mine instead of a clean install,let me know please

18. MrBozack

MrBozack Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7850OC Windforce
    Try it for yourself, then judge.

Sure, it has some elements that have made it from Vista -but for good reasons! As far as "tweaking" goes, it's been made faster and more stable. It's a lot like Vista, but it's a very different feel -especially with all the new taskbar features.

Did I mention it contains software emulation for DirectX9? Even if your hardware has no DX9 support...

Best OS for the games I play. :)

19. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I don't understand why they would have to move away from a previous OS for it to be considered good. Lots of people love to say stuff like "I wish MS would remove the registry". That would pretty much guarantee the commercial failure of Microsoft. Most software doesn't even use the registry anymore, they use the documents/games folder and create files there. But for all the software that does? Gone, broken, doesn't work. Who would want to buy an OS where software that came out yesterday doesn't work? Not me.

There are also a lot of things people say that are completely false or just common misconceptions.

1. Removing services doesn't speed up gaming, period.

2. All of Microsoft's OS's with the exception of Vista were released within three years of each other. Microsoft isn't trying to shake the bad image of Vista, they are just continuing on their normal product cycle the same way they've been doing it for 25 years.

3. The WindowsSXS folder is not as big as you think it is. It's reported incorrectly when you check it's file size. "In practice, nearly every file in the WinSxS directory is a “hard link” to the physical files elsewhere on the system—meaning that the files are not actually in this directory." So it's counting files that aren't in the directory. On a typical system it only takes about 400mb.

20. jumjumski

jumjumski Member Guru

GPU:
    mobility 4570
    I just did a clean intall of 7048,seems stable so far,installed 181.71 and getting good fps in Grid,GTA4 and L4D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.