WIll ati retake throne of fastest gpu again?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by death_samurai, Feb 28, 2009.

1. death_samurai

death_samurai Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream
    I understand that for a long time ati was lagging behind nvidia and finally with the 4800 series of gpus and the flagship 4870 x2 did it retake the crown only to lose it to the gtx 295.

Will ati be able to come up with a faster gpu? Has anyone heard anything on the grapevine?

Will nvidia continue to pull further away like in the past?

2. Smart

Smart Member Guru

GPU:
    Visiontek / 4870 / 512 MB
    i have inside-info that Nvidia is working on a 3-gpu card, other than that ATI is only in the mid-life of the 4000 series, we will probably see a revised 4870x2.

expect Nvidia to hold it for at least another 6 months.

3. death_samurai

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream

Seriously why is ati lagging so far behind?

Seems like in this case nvidia's gonna be holding the crown again for a very long time. :bang::bang:

4. GeoD

GeoD Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    the earliest they will catch up will be the summer i think. around then both NV and ATI are supposed to release new generation cards so im sure ATI will have a new x2. even if they release a new x2 when the rv790 refresh or whatever its called comes out in april i think that the 295 is too far head. but who knows.

5. death_samurai

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream

What ur saying is that even with their new x2 if they do in april it still lags behind gtx 295? I didn';t know it was that much faster only slightly faster?

6. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Guest

GPU:
    2070 Super
    It's all speculation at this point. For all we know it could be the 295, who knows.

7. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    not really the gtx295 are 2gtx260 and the new radeon should be able to fight the gtx 285.so the revised x2 if released should be faster then gtx295 with a god performance margin.

and o yeah ati has the new 40nm card which is quite awesome for a 128 bit card :)

8. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    just a side note ati dose not need the crown to make money.

9. GeoD

GeoD Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    in some games the two are pretty close, almost a dead heat. but in other titles the 295 is pretty far ahead (especially FC2, Crysis, Dead Space). http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-295-review-bfg/

i personally wouldnt expect a new x2 in april since the rv790 iseems to only be an overvolted/overclocked rv770, no extra SP's or even a die shrink. this leads me to suspect that the resulting heat would make an x2 based on the rv790 hard to produce unless it had ungodly cooling.

i have no inside info, just my thoughts. who knows though. if ATI has a few tricks up their sleeve its only good for us consumers since it will keep nv's pricing, and thus ATI's, in check.

10. GeoD

GeoD Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    the 295 has two 280 cores, 480 SP's total.

11. death_samurai

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream

Yes that's obvious. They have a niche market where ppl are unable to afford nvidia's cards? AM i correct??

Yet i am sure nvidia has a larger market share and i am sure more ppl have defected from ati to green camp due to the speed of the gpu issue.

This is definitely a source of pride.

12. Lyla

Lyla Banned

GPU:
    This.

Basically whichever brand wins the value for money performance will reap the sales.

Once you get into having to win via SLI etc. meh who cares, only a small portion use SLI atm, and it comes with side effects.

So right now the company that wins is the one that gives the best bang for buck in the 100-250 dollar market.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  13. MrBozack

MrBozack Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7850OC Windforce
    The real question is; When are nVidia going to catch up on ATi's superior image quality?

14. Smart

Smart Member Guru

GPU:
    Visiontek / 4870 / 512 MB
    Pardon? there is nothing wrong with the 4870x2 at all, it can still compete and is the better option for HIGH resolution for now.

i'm not a big fan of this "crown" idea, both makers are equal, just sometimes they come out with improved technologies, making them the better buy for some... but not all.

15. Bornakiller

Bornakiller Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SLI
    A fast gpu that stutters is useless :S

Smooth game play is what matters.

16. Bornakiller

Bornakiller Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SLI
    U get what u pay for ;)

17. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    no 2 gtx 260 gt200b read the reviews.

18. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    on what res do u play your games ?

19. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Guest

GPU:
    2070 Super
    that lemon had some zing!

20. death_samurai

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream

That's what some ppl told me. Then they showed me the reviews and it seemed that the x2 lagged behind the 295 in almost every test, cept for 3dmarks 06 and a few games at a higher res cos of it's bigger memory.

I was quite dismayed. Then they used quadfire vs 295 in sli quad mode and of course it still lagged behind and the improvement was not very much and it lagged behind a 260gtx in some applications.

Actually maybe that was only a fluke. I should have read more reviews and asked ppl from more forums.