Remove features from ATT

Discussion in 'ATI Tray Tools Public Beta Section' started by Ray Adams, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Ray Adams

Ray Adams Guest

GPU:
    ATI HD6950
    Hello.
    I just want your opinion about this:
    I'm thinking about removing a lot of things from ATT. Some of them doesn't work, some works, but not in all circumstances. ATI changed a lot in newest drivers and its very hard for me to make full alternative for CCC.
    So, if ATT can not fully replace CCC because some parts still doesn't work, why should we keep it? :)

Here is a list (just for example):
    Overlay Color Correction/Deinterlising . - Doesn't work now under Vista with new drivers, but worked with old ones.

One of the biggest unfinished parts of ATT is TV Out/Display. It works for 30% of people only( or may be 10%). And 70% others says that they found bug, this or that doesn't work. I'm tired to answer hundreds of times that I unable to implement full alternative to CCC! I'm not inside ATI, I don't have all documentation they has. So may be it better to remove it and stop the flood of questions? :)

Of course I will not remove all what I want to remove without your opinions. :)

2. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    Though none of those features concern me, I don't think it would be a good idea to completely remove them. And even if you did end up removing them, I have the feeling that people would just start flooding you with questions related to implementing them again, so I doubt it would benefit you in the long run. If I were you, I'd listen to the opinions of people who do use these features however, before jumping to conclusions.

3. Raikku

Raikku Master Guru

GPU:
    POV GTX 280
    On other hand, could it be possible to make Nvidia-style functionality for Dual view users, or is there something in hardware-level on ATI's cards which prevents that(?) Never needed any color/overlay-things so those doesn't mean anything to me.

But of course main point to use ATT is that you could get rid of that s...ty CCC, which is just unbelievably crappy.

I noticed when i had both CCC and ATT that it's difficult to keep up with settings when both of those programs changed things in each other.

4. zbaic

zbaic Active Member

Ray:

*please* don't remove at least TV/Display module as it's very useful (maybe hide it by default, and make it eanablable visa Adv. tweaks - until you maybe resume work on it at some point ;)).

Right now it works for me (this module - I'm on X1xxx) and I use it for a very important thing to me - to set max achievable refresh rate on my CRT available and "seen" by the drivers to sth more than 60 Hz (via EDID? - don't remember how it's called now) - without it I'd be stuck at 60Hz max RR on my CRT, so it's a very important feature for me.

Please bring at least this option back (to set max achievable refresh rates/resolutions) if you don't want to leave whole module "hidden" by default and unlockable via adv. tweaks.

But imo you shouldn't just remove whole modules (as they mostly work for people with older cards/older drivers - so why "punish" them with cutting features - leave that to ATI ;). As I said, best option would be to hide them by default and make them unlockable by more advanced users :). (Plus put a disclaimer/some sort of notice/prompt by the option to unlock them that they are not supported/use at own risk/may not work etc etc).

btw: what was the last beta version of ATT with TV/display module (and others?) still in? Could anyone upload it somewhere (Ray, do you still have this build)?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2008

5. Ray Adams

Ray Adams Guest

GPU:
    ATI HD6950
    TV Out/Display officially removed but can be enabled by editing atitray.ini.
    Look in beta version thread about it, but don't post any bugs report :)

6. r2rX

r2rX Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GeForce GTX 480
    Well, i'd recommend just disabling features rather than removing them completely (unless drivers have changed so dramatically that a current feature simply doesn't link with the driver---and you can't update the feature in conjunction with the driver for whatever reason).

Like the TV Out/Display....you merely hid it...which is very cool, as it is a feature that I still use......

....just my two cents. :p

r2rX :D

7. zbaic

zbaic Active Member

Ray:

it's great they are not removed for good and can be reenabled. Which other modules hidden by default now (in addition to tv-out/display), if any, can be enabled via .ini?

Did you disable any other modules I didn't notice/remomber (hope not)?

TIA!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2008
  8. Ray Adams

Ray Adams Guest

GPU:
    ATI HD6950
    Only TV Out

9. jjwa

jjwa New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870 512MB
    I would personally love to be able to use ATT and never install CCC at all. I think most of the things you are considering to remove are the ones most ATT users rarely use in CCC as well.

That includes any TV/TV-out/Overlay related things. Also general color settings (basic stuff can be done in Windows without installing CCC). With the 48xx series, Overdrive limits the overclocking quite strongly, so I think that's costing Overdrive quite a lot of' customers', especially with the nice temperature checking and fan control possibilities of ATT. In fact, I am currently thinking of actually uninstalling CCC, making sure it does not interfere with any other tweaking software :).

Only things I am not yet sure of: is 2D and 3D mode switching part of CCC, or of the basic driver package? Same for the game-specific optimizations Ati makes; they're done with Ati Smart and not a part of CCC, right?

10. Fedyon

Fedyon Member

GPU:
    X1950Pro 512Mb AGP
    As I'm being the first one who requested hide_display, I think in general it is natural to hide out unreliable features by default installation. If hard removal of codes is required to maintain the stability of all the rest, then it can't be helped. Otherwise it may be better to make some official accesses to turning on those hided features (not editing ini) and at that point you could warn the users with big bold red blinking alerts, in hope of preventing the flood of "where's gone?!" posts.

BTW still hoping if ATT could handle DVI outputs... arrgh.

11. AXS

AXS Master Guru

GPU:
    ATi HD 4800
    Ray, you had a good idea back them. I guess it would be for the best, to remove all non working features, cause they'll only get people confusing, asking all those "Why does this...?" questions. It would be a much cleaner ATT.

12. Bhairava

Bhairava Guest

GPU:
    2x 5850
    I understand your position, you don't work in ATI and to make an alternative to CCC without any help i guess is very difficult.
    I think you can disable some components but you should not remove it.

13. AXS

AXS Master Guru

GPU:
    ATi HD 4800
    Why should it be there if it can't be used? That's like showing a picture of that function. No seriously, it's much better that way, to know that what you see it's what you get. The functions that don't work mislead people and they come here putting the "Why doesn't ....Work question".

14. Ray Adams

Ray Adams Guest

GPU:
    ATI HD6950
    Thats why I already removed TV Out. :)

15. SurfaceCleanerZ

SurfaceCleanerZ New Member

Hello,

CCC is crap, I think, too.

But I just used ATT to en/disable the TV-Out of my x300 and X600 (both mobility). ok, the feature to store desktop icon positions is great, too.

But now I have to look for another tool, I think...

ok, I had severe problems with ATT sometimes, too, but overall it worked good.

Just my 2cts,
    Stefan

16. BLJ

BLJ New Member

i'm very glad i was able to reenable the display menu again.
    I use it with hotkeys to enable / disable the monitor - instead of a KVM Switch.

to save somebody else the search (i didn't find any real explanation on how to reenable display & TV Out context menu):

add
    hide_display=0
    to atitray.inf @ ATT Install Folder.

regards and many thanks to Ray Adams!

edit: hmm this is not my first post.. but my last was from like 2001 ^^

17. Username__

Username__ New Member

GPU:
    x1950pro 512m agp
    Ho no, where the usefull fonction "restart driver" in new builds ? :cry: :cry:

Can be re-enabled by .ini ?

18. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB

19. Username__

Username__ New Member

GPU:
    x1950pro 512m agp
    OOps, Ho ok, very nice =) thx

20. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Hi Ray, I think its an excellent idea to remove some features from ATT or maybe even put them in a power user section like Unwinder does it with RT.

I'm only using ATT's game profiler, the Adaptive AA and the HQ AF tweaks.
    So for my sake that would be enough, since its more an nHancer for ATI for my use.

For monitoring I use RT + AOC19NET anyway.

Anyway, that's just my 5cents, keep up the good work.