Post Your Hi-Fi Equipment Here (Something a little different!)

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Deckard79, Feb 13, 2008.

1. frisell

frisell Guest

GPU:
    BFG 280GTX OC 1G
    I just swtched to multi-channel. Sold my old Audio Research LS3 pre-amp and Adcom 555 amp and got a Marantz SR6003 AV receiver. Was considering the Cambridge Audio 640R but its a little dated now, though the SQ is one of the best for AV receivers. Liking the Marantz, clean and powerful enough, all the current surround decoding options and the auto speaker set-up is nice. Using KEF 104.2 for mains, C6 for center and C25s for rears. PS3 for dvd/blu-ray and a Micromega Leader for cd, all plugged into Adcom ACE-515 power conditioner. Sony 50" Wega rear-projection LCD for display.

2. Jimmy45

Jimmy45 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 670 PE/OC 2GB
    quite an old system now but still keeps me happy,

receiver - Sony STR-DB925
    Front - Acoustic Energy AE109's
    Center - JBL MR Center
    Rear - AE 100i bookshelf's

Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  3. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
    Never heard the Grados. They sounds really good though :)

I'd lean more towards SR80/SR125 at the price bracket. I went for them over the Grados due to the massive price hike on Grados in the UK.

That and people seem to rave about them on the web :)

4. Deckard79

Deckard79 Member Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9600GT passive
    Yeah, that's very true. Grados are virtually priced out of the market over here.

I did have a pair of SR-325s, SR-225s, then later some Denon D2000s but sold them all when low on cashflow. I miss having a good set of cans :(

The guys at Head-Fi have compared the Alessandros and Grados a fair bit, so it does seem that there are subtle differences.

5. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
    I'm really happy with them. I was tempted to get something a bit pricier ('future proofing' etc), but in the end I decided there wasn't any need - especially as my source is only the inbuilt sound on my laptop now.

One of those Audigy 2 ZS PCMCIA cards is quite tempting...

6. jazziam

jazziam Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 260GTX
    Ehhh my bank account hurts, just spent a bought a pair of Monitor Audio BR 1's and they were delivered today and a Cambridge Audio intergrated amp. Just need a better sound card for my pc. Asus DX1's any good for music?

P.S. Did you know that if I have a problem with my Speakers that monitor audio are not far from were I live ;) seems there repairs are based in Rayleigh Essex, not far from were I lived in Rayleigh =D

7. Deckard79

Deckard79 Member Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9600GT passive
    To answer your question, yes they do sound good for music.

I replaced my dual-opamped Prelude with the DX (PCI-E) to save a bit of cash, and in all honestly I'm happy I did.

The Xonar isn't quite as refined, and soundstage is closer and more direct. It's great fun to listen to.

8. jazziam

jazziam Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 260GTX
    Awesome, I think Uni Loans next month are gonna go towards getting a better card. Also Deckard, Ive gotta go and pick up some cable from my local Hifi store Rayleigh HIFI (interconnects between speaker and amp) what am I looking for perticularly in a cable, gold connectors, grade/quality, manfacturer etc? Because i've read places that they say to spend about 10% of your budget on cables?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  9. Deckard79

Deckard79 Member Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9600GT passive
    To be honest mate, I'm in the school of thought that spending much money on speaker cables and interconnects is a complete waste of money.

Providing the cables are shielded and insulated, you'll be fine - your £1.99 per metre cable will sound every bit as good as your £100 a metre cable. Anyone who claims otherwise is perceiving minor differences under the pretense that they 'should' be able to hear an improvement.

Spend all your money on source and speakers, and use basic interconnects if you ask me...

10. jazziam

jazziam Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 260GTX
    cheers mate =] ill post up pics of it once its all done. Annoying that the amp doesnt come till tomorrow, grrr. Speakers look so nice =]

11. Deckard79

Deckard79 Member Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9600GT passive
    Nice one bud, look forward to seeing them.

12. Pupp3tmast3r

Pupp3tmast3r Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    I'm using a Sony STR-DE598 6.1 receiver hooked up to a Sony DVP-NS310 DVD-player via an optical cable. My receiver connects to my Soundblaster Audigy 2 using a standard Coax cable and sometimes I use some analog connectors too. I think that sounds better with music. Anyways, it all hooks up to 2 Magnat Motion 1000 speakers in the front, 2 random philips speakers in the back (got them from an old little tower radio, they're using that w00x system, great bass!) and some older Magnat Vintage center speaker. Haven't gotten a sub yet, but I don't really need one in this room at the moment. Will get one when I move out of this room though :) Watching my movies and playing my games on my Samsung Syncmaster 206BW monitor (20.1").

13. arnstein

arnstein Member

GPU:
    onboard geforce
    Living room - Audigy 4 out to Creek 6060 Integrated Amp. Spendor S20 speakers matched to a homebuilt sub based on the NHT 1259 12" driver. Sony XA70 ES cd player. Thorens TD 145 TT.

Office - X-fi music (if I ever get it to work) out to Yamaha CR440 receiver and the large Advent speaks that I refoamed myself some years ago.

14. mythor20

mythor20 Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7950GX2
    In my bedroom I have a pair of very old Tannoys, 3m industrial quality fiber optic cable, 3 sets of leads running analogue audio from my Fatal1ty to my Receiver.

I have the following hardware:

Yamaha RX-V361
    Pair of Tannoy 609's
    Small cheap Yamaha centre and small rears that once were used by older yamaha system

I have run a 3m fiber optic cable which I had made at a fiber sales/installation company) to my front 5.25" bay to output my music obviously thru SPDIF to the input on my receiver.

I have the 6 analogue output channels out the back of my fatal1ty to the multi-chan-in inputs back of the receiver for games and movies.

I used to run an AR 150w RMS sub before I got the Yamaha receiver but have found that the great bass response at lower sound pressure levels are adequate enough for me.

On a side note, when I used my sub I would hear it in the next room and not so much with it sitting right next to me.

Great topic!

15. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Took it from the other big screen tv and put my z5500s in there.

Reciver HT system Sony STR-K700

I have it plugged in analog for the front phones plug for my ultrasones HFI-780 and then in digital for my speakers.

may chance the reciver to a Yahama HTR-6130 as gonna keep the speakers. I just dont like the reciver.

16. jazziam

jazziam Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 260GTX
    Pics =]

Creative Xfi Extreme Audio (it does the job but a proper xfi or asus dx will be better) -> Cambridge Audio A1MK3SE -> Monitor Audio BR1's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Deckard79

Deckard79 Member Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9600GT passive
    Smart setup jazziam!

How does it sound?

18. jazziam

jazziam Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 260GTX
    Amazing, I played Pink Floyd; Money from Darkside of the moon and i almost cried, this set up trounces my previous set up easily. Not to heavy on the bass and give a really nice warm sound. Though i reckon with a decent sound card it could sound even better.

19. Spirit02

Spirit02 Guest

GPU:
    6800XT/16GB
    Currently:
    X-Meridian/LM4562 analogue -> digi002 rack -> Fostex monitors

Normally:
    X-Meridian/LM4562 analogue -> Musical Fidelity X-150 integrated (opamp changed) -> Dali Ikon 7s
    = very bright, and a little lacking in the low end. I've decided I don't much care for ribbon tweeters.

Headphones:
    Sennheiser HD600 straight out of the X-Meridian, but am in the process of building a headphone amp that sounds better than anything for the price.

20. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
    Sangged a second pair of T20s for £20 brand new. Thought it was a bit good to pass up.

Going to set it up as a (far from ideal) 5.1 setup, with the T20s running in mono for a centre, Mordaunt Short speakers for the front, and the other pair of T20s at the back.

If only my room didn't suck for audio...