Will Windows 7 truly be good for PC games ?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Guru3D News

Guru3D News Ancient Guru

Gamesindustry.biz has interviewed Microsofts VP Chris Lewis who says their upcoming OS refresh Windows 7 will actually be a boon for PC games: Q: PC gaming is still pretty popular for certain genres...

More...

2. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    I hope so or microsoft will be receiving abusive emails from me lol jkz

3. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    Just read article just PR buy it .....I still skeptical

4. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    they'll say anything to get us to buy it, guaranteed to still be slower than XP

5. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    Dunno, I get better frames in Windows 7, anecdotally obviously. I haven't done any timedemos, but my 3Dmark scores are definitely better.

6. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    beta is faster then xp or vista and games work better so pfft :e

7. proFits

proFits Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    You my friend should go back to Windows 98, works as fast as a ship-of-the-line, specially on an core i7

8. hearnia_2K

hearnia_2K Active Member

GPU:
    PNY RTX 2080 Super
    The only game I've really tried on it so far has been Defense Grid, however for some reason it doesnt seem to run properly. Its stuck using just 1 core, and so it gets slow when its busy.

While, in XP is runs happily using multiple cores, and the documentation says it has SMP optimizations too.

I have also tried FEAR, which very happily runs along at 1920x1200, with FSAA, but I don't remember how it performed previously, as I last tried it a very long time ago!

9. nutyo

nutyo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X HD5870
    98 was way too bloated. What the hell is up with all this GUI crap? Windows 3.1 is where it is at.

10. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    It should be faster and better than xp or vista.. there wouldn't be a reason to go backwards. I'm looking forward to it but I'm not looking forward to getting ripped a new one cause of the price.

11. proFits

proFits Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    if we're having to go 3.1 we'll just play dos-games instead -_-

12. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    I hope it is faster than XP straight away. Unlike Vista which was just stupidly slow when it was first released. But since SP1 and many updates since it has proved to be a very nippy OS and I am loving it at them moment. I would hate to have to go back to XP. Though if W7 proves to be faster, and more compatible out of the box then I may just pick up a copy of the HP 64-Bit edition :)

13. viren

viren Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 2070
    It is high time Microsoft kept its promises. BTW, i personally think Windows 7 will give us a better gaming experience than Vista. Hope for the best. Cheers to Microsoft.

14. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Sounds promising. Although I did have my fair share of problems with the beta of 7, it still felt a lot faster and more responsive than Vista. I know that 7 is more or less what Vista should have been, but I'm still looking very much forward to it. :D

15. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Same here! Always with the waiting though!:)

16. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    some people all over the net claimed up to 25% performance increase in various games compared to Vista, some less some more, this can only be a good sign considering it was a Beta.

;)

17. biggerx

biggerx Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070 FTW
    You haven't installed it yet??? What are you waiting for?

18. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
  19. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    nah got fed up with one app crashing and bringing down the whole OS requiring a reboot, otherwise it would rock :)

My point really is M$ have been selling the "its faster than <insert our previous OS here>" since MS DOS games. Win 95 was supposed to be way faster than DOS, it wasnt faster and its been the same since, im not saying DOS was better, it was a pain in the butt, but 95 was not in any way faster for games at least.

20. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    nice performance, i'm fine with a little loss and this can only improve with each driver and update, also W7 seem a bit more stable than Vista generally which is exactly what i'm after. ;)

hmm lol surprise W7 beats XP and Vista, cool.

[​IMG]

on the other hand.. i can only assume immature drivers.

[​IMG]

i have a friend who's os is Vista and a few current games would just crash or even bsod after 15 min, he tried everything including a format, every driver update, downclocking, overclocking, nothing, installed W7 Beta to give it a try and those games now are stable as a rock (they were also stable in XP).

he's reluctant to go back to Vista and been running W7 for a few weeks 99% stable. lol

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009