Gtx 295 does not truely have 1792mb RAM

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by popcorn1, Feb 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. popcorn1

popcorn1 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5870
    "about as good as 4870X2 but less memory and NO GDDR5 memory which is new and memory is mirrored so its not really 1792"

"Only has 894 MB of memory MIRRORED (Not actually 1.8 GB)
    Doesn't have enough memory bandwidth compared to ATi's DDR5
    Does not have full GTX 280 and is closer to GTX 260's with the limited memory interface."

Is this true and what does it mean? If a game like GTA 4 requires more virtual memory, will I be able to use that 1792 mb?

2. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    It means one PCB has a one GPU & one set of memory each and they split the frames between so yes its mirrored memory so that means it can only use 894mb frame buffer.

3. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Both cards have memory mirrored.
    Both cards have similar memory bandwidth. GTX 295 = 224 GB/sec
    4870x2 = 230 GB/sec
    Virtual memory has nothing to do with the onboard memory.

Hope that clears it up fer ya.

4. popcorn1

popcorn1 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5870
    so really this is just a 894mb card..

does the 4870x2 have mirrored memory too?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009

5. MAD-OGRE

MAD-OGRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA 780 Classifieds
    yes it does.

6. popcorn1

popcorn1 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5870
    I hope thats true so I can feel better about purchasing a Gtx 295, but isnt the memory on the 4870x2 on one card, where as the Gtx 295's memory is literally split between two cards?

7. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    It's on one card but the same applies, whether its a sandwich card or a single PCB with two GPU's makes no difference.

Both GPU's have their own pool of memory that the other can't access, so both have to contain the same data.

In terms of memory bandwidth, yes, the GTX295 has more but is restricted ever so slightly with less memory in total in comparison to the 4870x2. The 4870x2 can be made cheaper using GDDR5 RAM with a smaller bus to gain similar levels of throughput so i wouldn't worry about that. The GTX 295 though is slightly faster overall regardless of memory amount.

Price to performance, i won't comment, but the GTX295 is the faster card and in all reality, the 100MB less of "actual" memory won't make much difference in direct comparisons between the two.

8. popcorn1

popcorn1 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5870
    Thanks for that. Your specs show what you feel has better price-performance.

9. piotrek

piotrek Banned

GPU:
    GTX295
    LOOOL you moron!! that's nothing new and everybody who has this card besides some rare complete-idiots knows that.

it's obvious that you don't need the performance you bought with your system, because people like you won't see the difference between your sys and a 500$ system, BUT you "know" there is a difference in statistics, which is why you feel now you have a "worse card".

you're truly an amazing kid, probably not above 12 years of age which indeed would be the perfect excuse for your intolerable stupidity and greed.

knowing you're that kind of person it is nice to know you own a intel i7 platform (even unoverclocked LOL. but i'm sure you have no clue of what to do) probably spending few hundred bucks more than you would have for a similar Quad oder Dualcore system, because:

Most DDR2 Dualcore/Quadcore gaming rigs > yours, because for gaming

i7 <<<<<<<<<<<< Other processors

GL in the future nerd hahahaah

oh and wtf:

OF COURSE it is close to gtx260, because it's fcking made of 2 GTX260s, so why should it be faster than 2* 280s for the price of not even 2 260s ???? gtx285 sli will cost you 650Euro + compared to gtx295 ~400-450euro giving you a very good value compared to gtx285sli.

if you wanted a faster gaming rig you should have went for quad sli with 2 gtx295 or something like that.
    if you weren't so stupid to buy a ddr3 system when you are short on money and want full graphil experience you probably wouldn't have to stick with that.

10. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Ok go easy on the guy hes just asking a question.

11. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    There is no need for this kind of hostility on Guru3d.

12. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    You never even read his post. He was asking for clarification on those statements, not actually telling us they are facts.

You need to get yourself sorted. That sort of hostility and ignorance is no where near tolerated on G3D so i suggest you learn how to post properly if you want to continue posting here for the forseeable future.

By the way, when you learn to talk like the adult you claim you are, maybe you'll have the right to accuse someone of being 12 years old because to me it seems it is indeed you that is the 12 year old here, not the OP!

Grow the **** up and stop being an absolute prick

P.S. This is a help forum, not your personal playground to talk to people like you are the absolute master of knowledge. Either post to help someone in a decent manner or kindly **** off.

13. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    That's a bit harsh, piotrek, and why did you turn the discussion from one about memory on the GTX 295 to one about his choice of CPU anyway? That was totally unnecessary not to mention off topic.

But since you mentioned it...

The Core i7 plus GTX 295 is a very good choice IMO and gives popcorn1 a more future-proof system with room to breath with upcoming games. The Core i7 has been shown to be excellent for games in many reviews, including those on Guru3D, so I don't know where you've got your information from about it being a lot less powerful than other processors. That is completely wrong. You seem to be implying that the Core i7 is inferior to an AMD Phenom II or even dual-core processors, which is clearly not true.

The system Guru3D now use for games testing uses a Core i7-965 clocked at 3.75 GHz for example to reduce the likelihood of the CPU bottlenecking the benchmarks!

With many future PC games being led on the consoles, which are more dependent on the CPU than GPU, a powerful CPU may well prove to be useful for future games. For example, GTA IV runs superbly on the Core i7-920 even at stock speeds because that game is more CPU-dependent. I'm sure it won't be the only game either.

14. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Cant wait till a mod sees this. Oh the irony of mentioning 12 year olds in a post like this.. :p

15. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    He'll be back apologizing. He's done it before...

16. GC_PaNzerFIN

GC_PaNzerFIN Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 + AC Xtreme
    i7 is a real beast for multi-gpu setups. Awsome performance scaling :D

17. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Yea I know, I need a new monitor this 22" 1680x1050 is a complete waste when I have this beastly rig just wanting to churn out 1920x1200 res with ease. ATM it is simply falling to sleep at my current res.

Also GTA IV is a son of a bitch to run even on Core i7, I think it is because the game just runs better on Nvidia hardware... but for some reason it runs OK on my rig but still not very well and defiantly not with high frame rates. Plus the graphics look hideous as well.

18. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Just to let you know, piotrek: you do have three infractions now. Getting a fourth one will automatically lead to a ban. ;)

19. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    It's worth mentioning that you dont need to get worked up yourself ;)

20. popcorn1

popcorn1 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5870
    Do you not understand what the quotation signs mean? Did you not learn about them in English class?

Were you so butt hurt by the contents of the quotes about the Gtx 295 that you just had to jump in and flame and fail at the same time to realize that I wasnt the one who said it?

You have an E5200 and youre down talking me for having an i7? Since when was someone with a Core2 computer allowed to down talk someone with an i7 computer? And then you say the i7s are inferior to other processors. What is the world coming to?

You say I'm wasting money but you suggest getting two Gtx 295s instead of just one Gtx 295 and the latest and greatest. I think you are the type to buy two Gtx 295s just to stare at 300fps in a game like CSS. Is spending $500 on video cards not a waste of money to you?

You call me a nerd but youre the one trying to school me about computers. Do you not understand that you got owned? Ownage pwnage. It's obvious you wont return to this thread. You dont stand a chance. Just pretend like you never saw the posts following yours. 40 posts and 3 infractions. Is that a world record?

Might as well just create a new G3D account as a backup account. You know. Just in case. piotrek2.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.