Is this a good computer

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by katuysha, Feb 23, 2009.

1. katuysha

katuysha Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon X1950Pro 256 mb
    I want to buy a readymade and really great computer, specifically to play gta4 on high, but I'm not very updated on what is considered great hardware nowadays.

The best one I've found is this one costing about 1400 USD, but since it's a lot of money to me I want to be perfectly sure that this one is going to be awesome and stay so for years to come, so please tell me, is this the computer I want?

Processor: Intel Core2Quad Q9300 (2.5GHz)/6MB Cache

memory: 6GB DDR2, 4st DIMM-slots

hard drive: 1TB 5400rpm

Video card:
    NVIDIA GeForce 9800GT 1024MB/3070MB

Network: WLAN-n, 1Gbit LAN,
    connections: DVI, VGA, 6xUSB,

Free ports: 1xPCI, 1xPCI-Express 1x,
    1xPCI-Express 16x.
    Chipset: Intel G33

Microsoft Vista Home Premium 64-bits

Oh, and what does 1024MB/3070MB mean? Do I get both numbers added up?

2. noteleet

noteleet Active Member

GPU:
    nVidia 5200 FX 128mb
    That is a decent set up there and it may play GTA4 decently. The processor is pretty good the graphics might not be quite up to snuff.

If you just want to play GTA4 you'd probably be much better suited just buying an Xbox 360 or PS3. Whichever console tickles your fancy.

3. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    ermm that wont play gta4 well. in fact most setups dont until u start using higher end stuff. its poorly optmised for the pc. thats a general consensus.

for me theres only one way to play gta4 and thats on a ps3.

plus i'd steer clear of ready-made pcs.

make your own...we can steer you in the right direction...

welcome!

4. scipio

scipio Guest

GPU:
    Evga 1080 gaming
    Why would they use a 5400 rpm drive?

5. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Now that's just bad lying! GTA4 looks a lot better and runs much better on my pc than it ever ran on my 360 or PS3... Not even comparable. If anything, it runs better on the 360 than on PS3 and it also has DLC.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  6. Mark121

Mark121 Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 660
    I also agree +1

7. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    well i heard/read many instances of it suffering from lots of problems on the pc.

anyways perhaps i'm wrong...and in my opinion its only worth a good few weeks at most.

not my game..liked the first couple but not this one.

(note to self..dont post anything slighty wrong on this forum or u get accused of lying lol).

bit of a harsh comment there eclap. nvm.

8. Nerox

Nerox Master Guru

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE 6950 2GB
    I think that with 1400 USD you can build a better computer by FAR ... or just buy the parts and let someone who knows about hardware to build it for you. A 5400 rpm hard drive isnt good enough nowadays

9. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    well, you obviously haven't played the game on the PC and then gave out misleading information about it's performance on the PC. Yes, it runs like POS on a underpowered pc (weak dualcore etc) but on a fast dual core or a decent quad, it flies by and looks a ton better than anything PS3 or 360 can produce.

Anyway, back to topic, that rig is ok I guess. It's only "weakness" is the graphics card. Try to get a similar rig with a ATI 4870 512mb (should cost roughly the same) and you'll have a very nice PC.

10. CCchips

CCchips Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 5970 2048Mb
    GTA 4 is heavy on the CPU-end, but don't neglect the GPU, otherwise it won't run well at all (below 30 FPS on maximum in-game visual settings).

I would drop the CPU and go for the Core2Quad Q6600, which is also a very powerful CPU but much cheaper than what you're going for - it still offers a whopping load of computing power. Only have 4Gb of RAM, since you won't need (or use) more than that. The HDD really needs to be 7200rpm, otherwise it'll be quite slow in retrieving game files. Anything else about the SATA drive doesn't really matter (e.g. transfer speed). If you want to future-proof your PC, the Q6600 CPU is definitely a winner, but your GPU is sorely lacking. For resolutions of up to 1600x1200, you'll need at least a GeForce GTX 260, whilst for resolutions of up to 1900x1200 and beyond, you'll need at least a GeForce GTX 285. Let us know if the cost savings from picking less RAM (yes, I know, RAM is cheap) and the less pwoerful CPU I recommended gives you enough money to buy the GTX 260.

Also, what is your gaming resolution? What are your in-game visual expectations (e.g. do you like turning everything on "high" or "maximum" settings)?

11. kRze

kRze Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 280 SSC|24" Dell
    $1400 USD for that rig, ouch I wouldn't... thats way over priced. You look into building your own, you can get a much better computer for that budget.

12. SickBoy254698

SickBoy254698 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 780 OC
    They are correct you should build your own. Go with a Quad core CPU and at least a GTX 260. FYI I can play GTA IV with all settings on high. I choose not to because I prefer high framerates to image quality. On high my FPS can dip as low as 20 and that's just not ok. On medium it dips no lower than 30 and not very often. In all honesty there is really not any noticeable difference between High and Medium. Low is a different story. As people have said already though, the game has serious issues. After beating it the other day though I will say it was worth it.

Anywho, if $1400 is your budget you should be able to get twice as much PC for your money. So don't buy that one.

13. katuysha

katuysha Guest

GPU:
    I'm planning to keep my old bulk monitor with 1024x768 so resolution wont be a problem. My table was built for that size and it'd be a pain to modify the table.

If that one is lacking, how about this one, it's a put-it-together-yourself package slightly cheaper but without OS (but that's easy enough to buy I guess).

motherboard: Asus P5Q SE P45

Processor 2.83 GHz Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 (2 x 6MB cache)

Chipset: P45/ICH10R

Front Side Bus 1333 MHz

memory: 4 GB (2 x 2GB)DDR2 PC6400 800 MHz

hard drive: 1TB Serial ATA-300

video ATI Radeon HD4870 512MB GDDR5

They also got a very similar one with Nvidia GeForce GTX 260 896MB DDR3, though more expensive.

I'm pretty sceptic about building from scratch, then no company will bother to fix it if it breaks right? (happened to my current brand one, and they fixed it for free)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  14. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Thats looks good to me much better than the pre-made one.

15. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    The GTX260 is more or less equal to the HD4870. There's plenty of reviews confirming this statement here in Guru3d's hardware review page if you want to check it out.

True, you don't have one company you can call if something goes kaput. But what you do have is warrantied parts in your machine, so if a part dies out you can call the manufacturer and let them know about the issue if your outside of the vendor's return policy.

16. katuysha

katuysha Guest

GPU:
    This one is very similar but slightly cheaper than the non-ready-made one, and seem to have more processor, or is there something I've missed about 3.16 duo compared to 2.83 quad?

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500, 3.16Ghz, 1333Mhz, 6MB Cache

Memory: 4GB

Hard drive :1TB Western Digital Caviar GP, 32MB Cache S-ATA II, 7200rpm

Video Card: nVidia GeForce GTX 260 896MB

17. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    Go with the quad. The slight difference in price will make a big difference in games that benefit from a quad core processor.

18. viren

viren Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 2070
    Eh, you can build an i7 rig with 1400 usd. Spend some more time on guru3d pricer grabber or here is a decent config:-

Processor - Core I7 920 2.66GHZ 8MB Smart Cache,
    Motherboard - Asus P6T [Intel X58 Chipset],
    Ram - 6GB OCZ DD3 1333 MHZ [3X2048MB],
    Monitor - Samsung SyncMaster T200,
    Power Supply - Cooler Master Real Power M850,
    Display Card - XFX Nvidia 260GTX,
    Hard Disk - Western Digtal Caviar Black 500GB,
    Cabinet - Cooler Master CM 690.

I bet this config will cost you around 1400usd.
    Take care.
    Virendra.

19. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    Shame that USD isn't the currency in Sweden :rolleyes:

20. Hekynn

Hekynn Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 460 1gb MSI HAWK
    Thats a good setup but if you can grab a GTX295 from your local PC store or Bestbuy Newegg is completly out =(