Ok I know this might be asking a lot, but...

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Polluxx, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Polluxx

Polluxx Member

GPU:
    evga 6800gt
    Ok... even though Im a little scared (ok a lot scared) about this, I've decided Im going to try and build my next computer.

I posted here a couple days ago asking what people thought of Alienware computers, and the general consensus was they were quality computers, but you pay way too much and you're better off building your own.

Ive never built a computer. The most Ive ever done was upgrading a graphics card and putting in some more ram. So this is kind of a big step for me.

Fortunately I have a friend who HAS built computers, and he said he would be willing to help me. With his help I have finally worked up enough nerve to go for it.

So... that brings me to the system, and thats where you fine folks fit in. I need your help. I have a rough idea what components I want, but I dont know EXACTLY what I should get. I need to know which parts/brands you suggest, which I should avoid, which are overpriced, etc.

My budget is around $1,500-1,600, with maybe a little wiggle room. I was hoping maybe if one of you is bored, or feeling especially nice, you could maybe "build" me a computer off newegg, by linking to each component I should get. Here is a rough guide to what I want:

- Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-920 2.66 GHz 8MB Cache
    - PSU: At least a 750watt quality power supply, don't know what brand
    - Graphics card: This one Im not as sure about, but if I could afford a NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 280 or better that would be good. Not interested in SLI right now, want to stick with a single card
    - Motherboard: Intel® X-58 Motherboard- Socket 1366 Core i7 Ready, Dual Triple Channel DDR3 Memory, or something similar. Not exactly sure what I need.
    - RAM: 6GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz - 3 x 2048MB
    - OS: Windows Vista® Home Premium (64-bit Edition) . Need to make sure its the 64-bit version and not the old 32 bit one.
    - HD: 500GB SATA 3Gb/s 7,200RPM 16MB Cache
    - Optical Drive: 20X Dual-Layer Burner (DVD±RW)
    - Tower: I have no idea. Something that is full size, so it will easily fit all the parts. ATX extended I think its called? Also, no flashy neon lights or anything like that. Simple is good.
    - Extra cooling?: I dont know if I will need extra fans or how many the case we choose will end up having. Also.. do I need a better cooler for the processor?

I know this might be asking a lot, but Im sure someone out there is up to the task. I have tried surfing newegg a little but there are just so many different products thats its a little overwhelming.

Any help you guys can send my way would be so greatly appreciated! :)

2. Helpful

Helpful Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti
    Do not be afraid. As with any learning process,"no sacrifice no victory!"
    I just finished helping a young dad by building my 16th computer for him.
    I believe I can do as you ask.
    Many of us are here to give back in our own way.

3. surrealX

surrealX Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    [​IMG]

I just quickly scanned through parts. Depending on where you live you will be charged tax but there is some rebates in there.

4. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    spot on. +1. if i were in the states thats almost a carbon copy of what id go for. i would chose a 285 (evga) for the gpu or a 295 (evga again)

ahh id go for a true 120 extreme heatsink if its compatible with a scythe 120mm case fan..(3000rpm).

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009

5. Helpful

Helpful Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti
  6. Polluxx

Polluxx Member

GPU:
    evga 6800gt
    wow thanks guys! such quick replies too!! I will definetly look this over :)

7. Deathspank

Deathspank Guest

GPU:
    Gainward GTX570 1280mb
    i was the same on my first build back in the day. i think its the cables that make it look scary. but with the psu out the way you get a good idear of where everything goes.

then you will see its quite easy and you'll never buy a fully assembled pc again.

8. gampamu

gampamu Guest

GPU:
    MSI 8800GTS 320
  9. kRze

kRze Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 280 SSC|24" Dell
    I would say this is a great build as well.

ONLY 2 things I would change is, one, the 500GB Black to a 640GB Black, because those seem to have the best platters out of the Blacks.

And second, I would ask to the OP, what size monitor are you using? and whats the native screen res?
    Because you can very well do with a GTX 260 if you're at 16x10 and below, and if you still want the 280 for extra frames I would go for the GTX 285 instead.

10. Polluxx

Polluxx Member

GPU:
    evga 6800gt
    I have a fairly large monitor. Its a samsung (dont remember the model number) but its a 24" widescreen LCD. I believe the native res is like 1900x1220 or something.

11. kRze

kRze Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 280 SSC|24" Dell
    Nice, in that case yea a GTX 285 would be perfect.

12. Dahzeal33

Dahzeal33 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x eVGA GTX 275 SLI
    Good luck man! You can do it!

..but beware, it can become an addiction! :nerd: