Catalyst 9.2 drivers discusion thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by StimpyOz, Jan 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tommcd64

tommcd64 Master Guru

GPU:
    Quadfire 2 4870 X2's
    It would be nice for some quadfire optimizations. I have been using it and TBH from what I have seen and read, unless you are running a core i7 system and the games are designed to take advantage, it won't do you much good. I ran the same gaming benchmarks with a single 4870 X2 and there was only a 5fps difference between that and running 2 4870 X2's.

2. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I second that , exactly my point , would be nice for some optimizations for Quadfire :)

3. redrumy3

redrumy3 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090 FE
    Hopefully when i wake up we will have 9.2 Drivers :D

4. IcemaN22

IcemaN22 Member Guru

GPU:
    Assus TUF 4090
    9.2 that will be good this time + vista sp2 RC pack!

5. redrumy3

redrumy3 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090 FE
    yeah im waiting for vista sp2 rc too

6. Tequila

Tequila Guest

GPU:
    2xRTX3090 (nvLink)
    How many people do you think have 2 x 4870x2? They won't implement such optimizations or they will be very low priority to be coded as only like 2% of their customers would have quadfire with the 4870.

They need to radically change their driver to support custom driver profiles.

7. Liniuxs

Liniuxs Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI HD5770
    I quote "Catalyst 9.2 is on target for release later this week". This is from CatalystMaker - TweetDeck. We hope it's true.

8. Tequila

Tequila Guest

GPU:
    2xRTX3090 (nvLink)
    That source is the bull****; http://twitter.com/CatalystMaker

On the 12th of Feb he was stated saying "Planning for Catalyst 9.2 posting right now"

Is just another bull**** person trying to be important.

9. MorSage

MorSage Member

GPU:
    8.12, 9.1 and probably 9.2 are not the only problem facing 2 HD4870X2's as these are limited by vista SP1 only being able to read a few frames ahead, quad Nvidia too.

I have been using SP2 RC-escrow (almost certainly the same as final relaease, remember SP1) and it seems to have overcome the minimum framerate/stuttering issues of quadfire, at least on a i7 platform with plenty of RAM and fast HDDs in RAID 0.

The performance offered by a single X2 is already fantastic, how many frames/sec can a human see? The real advantage of 2 X2's is in the viability of improved quality settings, but this also requires no other hardware bottlenecks and a suitable operating system.

RC2 is definitely quadfire friendly, I personally am hoping for greater application utility and even higher quality settings from 9.2

10. lenne

lenne Guest

GPU:
    1080 GTX Gainward
    ill sell my card aswell, im just fed up with this bull****, the 4870x2 is loud as hell, always only ueses 1 core in just released games and runs hot like hell.

i tweaked it to the last possible extend, but its just developing so much heat even idle in 2d at lowest possible clocks, not to mention the amounts of heat and noise it produces when in 3d mode.

This is just an expensive piece of crap.

sorry, im in a bad mood...

11. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    9.2 is on track for this week just to let you guys know.

12. kitch9

kitch9 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    Which games recently have not used Crossfire?

What do you consider hot considering the thermal design of the chips?

My hottest gpu idles at around 55C and the coolest at around 35C, would you consider that hot?

13. lenne

lenne Guest

GPU:
    1080 GTX Gainward
    Fear2 only using 1 gpu.

Idle temp 55 c but only after i spend a couple of hours finding out how to and tweaking the core and ram clocks, otherwise it would sit way above that.

under load with nearly 100% fan its hitting 80 degrees easily.

im living right now in a hotter part of the world, what happens to me is a little chain reaction: if i play the room gets too hot, if the room is to hot i have to use aircon.
    That results in electricity bills almost thrice the tag i have if im not playing, not to mention that my girlffriend cant even watch tv beside me, because my pc roars as if its going of to moon.

I just dont expect that from a product that costs me almost as much as the whole rest of my build.

the energy saving is soo bad on this card, why it doesnt switch off one core while its in 2d ? why do i have to buy my whole setup from amd to switch off the card in 2d completeley and use integrated ? there is definetly a software solution for this but obviously its not gonna happen.

I paid a lot of money for a product that didnt even scratched what i was expecting of it and i think im not asking too much, its all software side its just that the *** from amd cant piece it together, all what comes from a new set of drivers is even more crap.

There are many litlle things that add up, like quad core support for the driver ? i mean wtf, quad / multi cores exist since ages and i have to wait half a year for my graphics card to support it ?

what i want from a new set of drivers is proper power management with switching off / on one core in 2d 3d on the fly, even lover 2d voltages for both core and ram and a little program that finds out the lowest possible clocks.
    I want the driver to adjust voltages and clocks / cores according to a game in a way that i set up somewhere: goal 60 fps, driver sees ok, this game will only need 1 core with high clocks to achieve it, this game 2 cores with a lower clock, i dont ****ing care about 300 + fps in a older game.
    furthermore i want to be able to use the gfx card to sharpen and polishing movie playback for any codec in any player.
    I want to be able to switch off that power hog in 2d at all, switching on the fly to intel gma ( only possible in xp, i know)
    I want some sort od native vray renderer.
    i want physics acceleration for every physics engine around.
    I want to be able to set up my own crossfire profiles, and dont have to wait a month in which i already finished the game.

and there are lots and lots more things that come to my mind, this is just what i expect of a product that expensive, and i cant see it delivered, not now and not in the future.

14. Zebatshu

Zebatshu Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX670
    LOL :stewpid:

15. kitch9

kitch9 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB

Crossfire works in Fear2, but the engine is that light on the GPU you don't need it. I get 100fps+ with CAT AI disabled and its less "hitchy."

Your GPU's have a thermal tolerence of 100C+ and your temps are normal for most high GPU's especially multi GPU's. Its not ATI's fault you don't agree with their thermal engineers, want it to be less than that and you live in a hot country!?!

The rest if your rant is just wow...... Seriously WTF!?!?!

16. lenne

lenne Guest

GPU:
    1080 GTX Gainward
    So u agree with a company that doesnt employ all the means possible to save you from a higher energy bill ? I am not happyly giving away my money knowing that there are solutions to circumvent it, maybe try to convince me with constructive critic, not "wtf".

All ure saying right now is

1. fear 2 runs faster with xfire off. ( ??? )
    2.the thermal tolerance off my gpus is 100c
    3. you got me wrong: i want it to be less than that where its not needed, i dont care if farcry maxxed out makes them smoking hot, im neither stupid, I am aware of the fact that more processing cycles (not very precise, i know) require more power, and by that ultimatively more heat ( atleast until quantum computing ;)

and u didnt say a single word to the power saving features which i mentioned to be implemented, which was the main point of my post...

...sorry for edit...

But u understand the basics of clock speeds, core voltages and heat dissipation / energy consumption ? i just read ur post a second time and im not too sure anymore, but from overclocking your quad you should know ?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  17. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    try a 3rd party gpu cooler? the stock ones are pretty much crap anyway i have 2 cards which came fitted with 3rd party coolers that can run at 100% and its still not loud, also look at better cooling for your case or maybe watercooling

as for fear 2, ati need to optimize it first i mean look at clear sky when that came out it was 10fps now its about 50fps, they release drivers per month

18. kitch9

kitch9 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB

You can manually edit the 2d clocks of your card if you require. Ati deem 507mhz gpu and 500mhz memory to be fine but whatever. You can set them to 300mhz GPU and 300mhz memory if you want. This would give you a further power saving over default, if only slight.

The GPU's on your card are designed to withstand temps well in excess of 100c and load temps of 80-90c should be considered normal and nothing to worry about.

Fear 2 has a Crossfire profile but its light on the GPU as I said. You want 60fps as you said so why don't you save power and use 1 gpu and still have 60 fps. IMO it even runs a little better on one GPU. With multi gpu setups thats how it is sometimes, get used to it. GTA IV for instance did not have a SLI profile available at launch whereas there was a Crossfire profile from day one. Again thats how it is. ATI release 1 driver a month and Fear 2 has been out a week, its a strong possibility to say things might not be quite as optimised as they can be, but its no issue as the game flies anyway.

19. tommcd64

tommcd64 Master Guru

GPU:
    Quadfire 2 4870 X2's
    I have Vista SP2 rc. With having this, quadfire just hasn't been utilized for me. But I am not using a core i7. For me without a core i7 system the gaming benchmarks are only a few fps difference between running 2 4870 X2's and a single 4870 X2. This isn't saying that quadfire is horrible. It is saying that with the current drivers as they are, there is no reason to go to quadfire unless you are on a core i7 system.

20. MJay27

MJay27 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7850 2GB DDR5
    Will the Cat 9.2 Drivers have any kind of Game improvements unlike the last lame 9.1 Release?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.