How organized is all that DATA on your PC ?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Marri, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Marri

Marri Guest

GPU:
    Just wondering..

I'm only @ 1.8TB will be adding another 1TB tomorrow..
    I don't use External HDD's !
    I need to re-organize my folders before I fill my new hard drive..
    I don't do partitions , as in non of my other drives are partitioned , I might partition my 1TB drive..
    I might partition it into 3 or 2 , not sure..

Isn't there this one singular perfect way to keep things uber organized , any tips..

How do you guys maintain everything , is it a hassle for you guys..
    Last month I accidentally deleted 200gigs of downloads , I dont remember what I deleted but in a way I was a tad bit happy I had less stuff to organize..lol

I wish to see and learn how you guys deal with your stuff/Data..
    Or is this a personal question..
    If you guys dont mind , do post pictures if u can to show how organized DATA on your system is..

Since 1 or 2TB's drives are so common these days , I'm sure almost everyone has had to deal with these sort of issues , I wonder if there's a refined way of doing this..
    Everyones got their own way of organizing data , it's a solo thing..
    I know..
    But I wonder if someone out there does it alot better then most of us :D

2. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    500GB T166
    c: 97,6gb, os ad app's.
    d: 368gb, installed games, music, important installers, pictures, vmware stuff

another 500gb T166
    f: 465gb, image backup's from my legal games, some BSD Unix installers, and "sekalaista" file which constains about anything from program installers, movies, series, you name it...

3. proFits

proFits Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    Musique folder = folder full of music
    Vidéo folder = full of movies, short and long
    Applications folder = full of programs in 3 subfolders, Executable, games and Utilities

Life is hard, don't know why you guys need organization when folders are an almost free resource (take up insanely low amount of HDD space)

4. masterchiefx2

masterchiefx2 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 280 Sli
    was organized now its not

5. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    640GB RAID 0 array:
    C: System partition (Vista install, programs etc)
    D: Games partition (installed games)
    E: Storage 1 (image files for the most part)

Independent HDD's:
    F: Storage 2 (mostly HD film)
    G: Film (all non-HD film)
    H: Series 1 (TV series)
    I: Series 2 (TV series)
    J: Div. (mostly MP3's and photos, but also some backup)
    K: External 1TB drive (mostly HD material, but also some backup)

In addition I have 3 HDD's in my seedbox which are mapped over my network called Dump 1, 2 & 3, mostly containing different crap for temporary storage.

I have so many drives and such a large volume of storage that I need to keep things very organised, else everything would just be lost.

6. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    my harddrive is extremely organized, you won't find sparse directories, all my games are inside a directory called Games, same for movies/music/programs.

[​IMG]

edit: all my games are installed in D:\ (directory Games)

the directory Drive D located in D:\ contains all my installed Programs (eg. Paint Shop Pro, Spybot, Antivirus and so on).

the STUFF directory contains Mp3s/Movies/Images.

the CRAP directory actually belongs to my mom lol when she has to access the PC and save anything she knows that the CRAP directory is where her stuff goes. :D she can't go wrong this way.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  7. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    C:\ - SYSTEM (320GB)
    - System and software software only
    D:\ - STORAGE (500GB Enterprise Grade)
    - Everything else. Documents, photos, music and videos etc.

If it's on Linux then this would be how the structure looks like:
    / - (320 GB)
    /mnt/windata - (500GB Enterprise Grade)

The home folder will be on the 320GB, but all the documents, photos, music and videos will contain a symlink to the data drive mounted on /mnt/windata.

deltatux

8. Iarwain

Iarwain Banned

GPU:
    4890 990//1120
    Very organized.

C:\ Windows, strictly windows, nothing else.
    D:\ Programs, strictly programs, always on or misc
    E:\ Just games.
    F:\ Storage. Video, download folder, backups.
    W,X,Y:\ Reserved for readyboost and flash drives
    Z:\ RAMdisk with firefox cache and a temp folder.

All internal, separate disks, except the flash drives F:, it's an external 500GB.

9. Renegade8100

Renegade8100 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    mine is a cluster **** in my documents but rather organized in my backups

I like to clutter up stuff in my documents and organize it all before I do backups. I really think that I should reorg again simply because its still a cluster **** and that sucks

10. viren

viren Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 2070
    C:\WINDOWS and program files, D:\Mp3 and videos, E:\Movies , F:\Games and software setups.

11. TirolokoRD

TirolokoRD Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 980TI ACX 2
    What makes me wonder, in the same topic.....how you guys do when you do have to make a fresh install of windows?, you make an image?, format and install......what about you YEAR that have so many games installed!!??

It never worked for me, like using and old game folder in a new installation of windows.

My folder are like follows:

C: Windows/programs/installed games 500GB
    D: Documents/Pics/Music 1 TB
    E: HD Films, TV Series (I try to keep everything in HD) 1TB
    F: All my Installations setups!! 1TB

12. Nato.dbnz

Nato.dbnz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5870 Crossfire
    C Drive (OS) - Vista 64 & General Apps
    D Drive (Games) - Game Installs
    E Drive (Storage) - Music, Pictures, Videos, Installers for useful apps etc

13. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    C: Windows applications and games
    D: Films, music, back up data.

14. Julepalme

Julepalme Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX580 OC'ed
    the below distribution is made with fragmentation in mind and performance. i keep my windows/programs seperate from my Download folders.. and my storage folders. download partition tend to fragmentate like hell. storage disk is a lot easier to keep defragmented same with windows/programs partition.

And then i put games on my 1.5TB disk only because its the best performing disk of them all read/write speed wise. in time i might get a 300gb raptor for games to keep all the small files in games away from my storage disk where i keep 4-13gb HD movies. that way i can set my allocation table sizes to something more suitable for small files on my games disk.

anyway here it is:

160gb Disk

C: ~30gb Windows/Programs
    D: ~110gb Temporary Download Folders / Installer storage, basically where i download files too extract etc. bit messy this one.

1.5TB Disk

E: Games Installed here. and HD Movies/Series Stored here too.

36gb Raptor

F: Page file resides here and nothing else really. mostly to avoid fragmentation of pagefile.

36gb Raptor

G: Nothing atm.. considering popping it into my other machine setting it for for a server or something.

15. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    i too am very organized.

i think the main thing is just to keep most everything off the C: drive cause if something goes wary with the OS, it can be a real pain to then try to backup files or move them so you can format.

also i occasionally write it all to DVD's and USB hard drive just in case one of my drives fail. i spent a very long time accumilating patches/drivers/software...etc not to mention the installs of games, i'll be damned if i'm going to start all over.

one good hard drive failure or a serious OS crash and you may think of seperating stuff to different hard drives next time. for many of us, takes a long time to aquire that stuff...downloads, ripping dvd's...etc.

i can reformat and reinstall my OS for C: drive right this very second and wouldnt effect me a bit other than having to customize windows to my liking.

16. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    extremely organised aswell, I can't stand a computer with garbage on it and random files/folders everywhere. I've got a small 60GB windows partition, a partition of about 400GB and another 500GB drive.

I never format the 2 bigger partitions but I maintain them like hell, I reformat my windows partition about every 4 to 5 months, nothing as nice as a clean windows :p

Aside from that I have a 750GB external HDD, to backup music, movies, etc, which is full right now, so I have to buy another one to backup my stuff. I'm actually thinking about getting one of those huge 2TB external disks.

And it's damn handy indeed to have a seperate windows partition, just for programs and windows, I would rage if something went wrong and had to format a drive with music/movies on it :p

17. Marri

Marri Guest

GPU:
    I must say , I'm impressed already..
    You guys are lot more organized then I am , surly by a large margin that is..lol

Currently things sit like this
    C: Windows 7 + Games/Software (All Installations go in a folder named "Installed" , drivers being the only exception ) , Months downloads etc (300GB Veloci Raptor no partition)
    D: Windows Vista 64bit + Games/Software + HD Movies & Shows + Small Backups-Game Saves etc (320GB Seagate no partition)
    E: Windows Vista 32bit + Backup1/Backup 2 + Music and lots of other unorganized folders etc (320GB WD no partition)
    F: HD Animes/ SD Movies & Shows + Misc Backups (250GB)
    G: Anime/Movies/Shows all SD (320GB WD)
    Z: Wallpapers/Albums/Comics/SD Movies/Documents/Software Backup.1 + Software Backup.2 (320GB WD)

All my drives are low on disk space asides the C and Z..

------------------------------
    After writing everything down , I've realized I must get my act straight..
    I shall add that I haven't defragment my HDD's for over atleast 8months now..eeKk

I'm going to use my , 1TB Drive to Organize Movies in one partition solely , and the other partition for Songs solely..

----joweyx: I've wondered about that just the same as you do...
    ----Year: I've got lots of folders named Crap , Dump , Bin , Big Folder-Fix Crap etc...lol (Full of ugly sub folders :( )

I usually dump all my months work in one ugly folder and then start sending them where they belong.
    But ehehe , sometimes I'm lazy and I skip the organizing segment for another month , this is where I go wrong mostly..
    Secondly I have a horrible time forgetting where I put things..
    almost most of my drives have movies in them , so it's always going back and forth to find where my last movie went..
    Shame on me , I'm very unorganized..
    I'm planning on having HDDs for Specific types of files only..
    Movie Drive/Partition Separate
    Photos/Albums Separate Drive
    Music Drive/Partition Separate
    Backup Drive Movies/Separate Drive
    Backup Drive Music/Separate Drive
    Backup Drive Album & Documents/Separate Drive

etc

18. PuddingWagon

PuddingWagon Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670
    1tb drive:
    C: 32gb - Just Windows, left room for the space Visual Studio loves to hog up.
    D: 16gb - Documents
    E: 883gb - Games, applications and videos

500gb drive:
    F: 500gb - Videos and page file

I try to keep it all organised but I really need to clean out my documents. It isn't too bad since I basically only use my pictures and a uni folder. The latter being very organised into year&semester/unit/type of class.

19. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I have mine as individual hard drives and relatively well organized. I returned my 1TB Seagate drive as it seemed funky and shortly after the horror stories about the bad drivers came out. Also around the same time my 500GB WD drive died.

C (300GB Maxtor): OS + programs I don't mind reinstalling often because they update often.
    D (640GB Barracuda): Everything except what I use C for and shows. All are organized by category. This includes backups of everything (except shows).
    E (640GB Barracuda): Shows, organized by what show it is of course, and if some are subtitled by more than one group the subfolders will be organized by sub group and/or order of episodes.

It would be completely organized if it weren't for the fact I have a folder here and there for unorganized things and things I want to organize later. Due to returning the 1TB drive and my 500GB drive dying I may have to buy a new drive in the next few months. Hopefully this time there will be some 2TB drives around.

It sounds fruity and retarded but I didn't word it very well. Basically with the setup I have I can smash my C: with a hammer at any time and I don't lose anything. I'm too tired and lazy to reword it to make more sense.

20. GregM

GregM Member Guru

GPU:
    ES BBA HD4870 512mb
    I have 4 Seagate 750Gb ES.2 drives, 1 for OS/apps/games, and 3 in RAID 5 for primary storage.

Drive 1:
    C:\ (Vista)
    D:\ (Win7)
    E:\ (Installs)

Drives 2, 3, 4 (RAID 5):
    F:\ (storage)
    ..\drivers
    ..\apps
    ..\images
    ..\game_updates
    ..\music
    ..\video
    ....\Misc
    ....\Movies
    ....\Series

And yes, I see the irony of having 1 drive servicing 3 drive letters while 3 similar drives are all servicing only a single drive letter for all 3 together.