Fear 2

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by ownz, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    Initially I was pretty impressed but I quickly started to think exactly what you posted Chrispton22, very mediocre. Its the moments of tension, those moments that make the hair on the back of your neck stand up that makes it worth playing I think (and not to beat a dead horse, as soon as they add the ability to disable "Film Grain" it will be much better)! With that said I have heard from people who already completed the game who mentioned that the second half of the game is much better than the first half. The story, gameplay, level design, and pace of the game get better towards the end of the game. So I'm gonna at least give it some more time before I condemn the game completely.

2. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    I guess you've tried going into your properties for the sound, and turning it down to basic, or off, as i had to do that on my old sound card when i got no sound in game on Crysis, as well a couple of other games.

3. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Yeah, tried that. The game only works when I disable the soundcard in control panel (same for x-fi and onboard) tried them out even separately, tried different drivers.... tried everything!

4. fiskadoro

fiskadoro Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 460 Superclocked
    Woah. When/if you die, instead of just starting where you left off immediately (or the most recent checkpoint in this case) the game decides to re-load the entire level again -- but I thought this is what "memory" is for?

Enjoyable enough game so far, but not a patch on the atmosphere and tension of the first.

5. Treble557

Treble557 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX295/8800gtx physx
    After beating the game, I can honestly say that unless you're good about finding the intel, peicing clues togeather about the story as the game gives it to you, and enjoy things like resident evil... You won't enjoy fear 2.
    There's alot more to it then just those moments of tension. Those moments just sorta link it all togeather pushing it above and beyond.

You have to really pay attention to the games story and give it a real chance, otherwise you're only setting yourself up for dissipointment.

6. BaDmOfO

BaDmOfO Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 liquid
    Strange, I have a quad core and sli and haven't had any issues. There was a bug in demo concerning multi-core support. The full release is right as rain.

I am wanting to pick up Fear2. I absolutely loved the first FEAR. I think I'll wait until I'm bored with the games I have now though. I've splurged on way too many games and way too much high end hardware lately. Knowing myself, I'll probably get bored within the next week and make an impulse buy, I hope this game is worth the $50 they're charging for it.

7. vipk

vipk Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 4890 1 Gb
    No. It even gives you a clickable option: reload last checkpoint.

Anyway, I have a feeling I'm near the end of the game and I must say it has been an enjoyable experience. If you enjoyed the first Fear you will probably enjoy Fear 2. There is a greater variety among enemies and surroundings, the action is still good and cinematic and the scares are still in the form of visions as well as fast or stealthy enemies.

I got from this game just what I had expected. It does nothing new for the genre but everything is done right. The weapons feel great, the ambient sound is nice, the story and cinematic scripted moments are well done. It's not a game of the year title, it's not a sequel as HL2 was to Half-life but it is an enjoyable shooter, especially if you liked the first one.

Basically the team behind the game didn't change the formula but gave us more of the same. Everything that made Fear good is present in this game (expect for leaning :/) and the few things that sucked the first time around have been looked into.

8. fiskadoro

fiskadoro Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 460 Superclocked
    I totally get this, and that's all cool and whatnot, but I'm just surprised it has to take so long to re-load the entire level, and why it just can't restart instantly like most games... I just thought it was a little unusual to have to wait so long for the re-load, as it kind of loses a little of the tension/atmosphere for me.

9. mcharj11

mcharj11 Banned

GPU:
    BFG GeForce GTX 280 OC
    Well not everything, there isn't any dynamic or soft shadows. :/

And WTH happened to dual wielding pistols?

10. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    People denying issues with Left 4 Dead and Multi-Core/SLI issues need to visit the Steam forums and have a look around. There are hundreds and hundreds of people that can't use their system to it's potential in any Source games. This has been a known bug since HL2 and people are still experiencing problems in Left 4 Dead (including my self). I can not run both GPU's in Left 4 Dead or it will randomly crash but then come back up and then crash again (all video display driver messages) and then recovered. This is exactly what most people are experiencing that have the same issue (which is a lot of people). I got the advice to disable SLI to avoid this issue and that fixed it instantly. I can still run Mutli-Core CPU, but SLI enabled through NVIDIA CP causes constant display driver crashing. Left 4 Dead is a great game and even with only one core on the 295 I still have large performance with 100-120fps all maxed @1920x1200 8xAA 16xAF.

Back to Fear 2, I just beat the game and that is one f*cked up ending....I mean I would never let a kid below the age of 16-17 play that game. That is worse than GTA IV by a large bit. I'll post screenies later on but avoid for spoilers. Overall the game was great and performed even more amazing (150-200fps most of the time), SLI support was huge and mult-core optimized also played a role in great performance. It's good to see a game that you can walk in the store and buy it; then after you get home you can put it in the PC and BAM you're playing it at +100fps with no issues of crashing or graphical artifacts. This game shows PC game developers how to release a product and quit letting PC gamers feel like they are rolling a dice when buying a newly released game (if it will run without issue or not). The only main problem with FEAR 2 is that some people have sound issues, but I haven't had one bit of distortion or loss of sound in any way on my X-Fi Prelude.

I rate the game this way (out of 10):

Graphics: 8.5
    Sound: 8
    Gameplay: 8.5 (multiplayer is considered)
    Performance: 10
    Overall: 9 (not combined)

11. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    Treble557 - Thanks man for the advice, much appreciated! I have only played the game for a couple hours or so but I wasn't sure how important all the intel was or if I should even take the time to read it. I'm glad to know this early in the game that its important, I probably haven't missed much yet!

LedHed - Thanks for your nice overall review of the game, great job! You make a good point about the performance of the game, the only issues I've had so far have to do with personal preference (not actual technical issues). Like you I haven't had any issues with sound which is great because many people are having issues!

12. IcemaN22

IcemaN22 Member Guru

GPU:
    Assus TUF 4090
    Probably your RAM is unstable, try to run prime95 blend test and see if it's stable.
    I have been playing for 2 hours today without crashes and problems. Only thing they could fix is the autosave lagg....
    It's a good game but I prefer the first F.e.a.r game, I liked the physics and the effects better in that one.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  13. znipah

znipah New Member

GPU:
    Gefore 8800GT
    I had the crash to desktop issue and, after removing all movies, the "Sound acceleration error". Found out that the game was looking for the file/codec "l3codeca.acm" in vain. Downloaded it, placed it in \Windows\System32, regged it with regsvr32 and now the game runs fine with movies and sound. I have a Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer.

14. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Surprising amount of negativity about this, ah well, im really liking it, i admit the borders thing might be a pain, but since it reminds me of the "i dont like black bars" whingeing when DVD's were first out, it makes me laugh more than anything.
    Also the film grain removal mod makes the game look like crap, and a more like a 5year old FPS, it takes more than just the grain away.

In my opinion the best FPS since COD4, and the graphics can be stunning at times only Crysis/Far Cry2 top it.
    No sound problems, or crashing problems, the saving does cause a small stutter which annoys but not overly.

I do miss no option for a 360 Pad though.
    Online yes, but single player First Person Shooters using a Mouse & K/Board are boringly easy

15. Leodie

Leodie Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I didn't notice the black bars until the whiners complained about it, neither the grain film, lol.

I just finished the game, not as scary as fear 1 because you get used to alma after a while.
    In fear1, alma or any ghost scenes were pretty rare, which is more scary when you don´t know when it will happen again.

The ending is a bit WTF!? :3eyes: ...especially some scenes a few minutes before the end, i wonder if some of the producers actually wish they were is that scene them self.

Good game, i just wish there was a WALK button!

16. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, does get used a bit too many times that you get pretty desensitised to it.

I miss a walk button too, especially as you can walk in the 360 version.

17. Treble557

Treble557 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX295/8800gtx physx
    Yeah, you find out that the arach corp is pretty much umbrella 2.0 with their own little raccon city. lol
    EVERYTHING it manipulated by them. EVERYTHING!
    Alma is like their tyrant (or whatever it was called). lol

18. MAD-OGRE

MAD-OGRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA 780 Classifieds
    yea no problems with quad or SLI as of yet, sound works fine as well.

19. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    The multiplayer is so much better than FEAR 1 was, I love the addition of the mechs in the game. Armored Front mode is a blast :D

Performance in multiplayer is even higher than single, with 180-200fps average (compared to 100-150fps in single).

20. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Good news, I fixed my sound issues. I had to download a certain .acm file (whatever it stands for) and put it into my system32 folder, game works with sound now. Happy!