Gonna need advice one New RIG

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Clavally, Feb 13, 2009.

?

Which graphic card you prefer?

1. GTX 285

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. GTX 295

8 vote(s)
    53.3%
  3. GTX 285 x 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. GTX 295 x 2

4 vote(s)
    26.7%
  1. Clavally

Clavally Member

GPU:
    Dunno
    Hie all, this is a new rig I intend to build but have some problems with it so do help me.

Processor: Intel Core i7 920
    Motherboard: EVGA X58 SLI ($984)
    Graphics Card:
    Memory: Corsair TR3X6G-1333C9 3x 2GB
    Display: Samsung 2433BW
    Storage: Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB + Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black
    Casing: Cool Master HAF 932
    Cooler: Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme
    Drive: LG SATA GH22-NS40
    PSU: Corsair HX1000 ($383) [Andyson 800W]
    Keyboard: Razer Lycosa Mirror
    Mouse: Razer Lachesis Mouse
    Speaker: Logitech Z5500 5.1 Speakers
    Sound Card: Asus Xonar D2x
    Mouse Pad: Razer eXactMat

Graphic Card
    1. I have been vexed over which graphic card to use. You see I have used up 1 PCI slot for a Sound Card. So Im left with 2 PCI slots. Which one is the best and has the highest performance

i. eVGA GTX 285 x2
    ii. eVGA GTX 260 Core 216 x 3 [if this is the best den i will drop my sound card]
    iii. ATI Radeon HD 4870 x 2

PS: Im looking to play all Games out there and also do video editting

Memory
    Since eVGA x58 SLI MOBO can only use 1333MHz and I wont overclock too. Anyone can suggest me what 1333MHz Memory to get?

*Edit: Could your leave ur reason behind for choosing the poll? thanks

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  2. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
  3. surrealX

surrealX Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Stick with that Corsair ram. 6gigs > 3gigs

Have you looked at the GTX 295?

4. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    If it's 6GB he needs, I rather him save some money and have a lower latency RAM than the Corsair: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220367

It's a Patriot 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory.

deltatux

5. Clavally

Clavally Member

GPU:
    Dunno
    okay thx. yea I have looked at GTX 295. Its way too expensive. My budget for graphic cards are < 850 US/ 1300 SGD.

6. Clavally

Clavally Member

GPU:
    Dunno
    wad does lower latency has in advantage compared to corsair?

7. Rancoor

Rancoor Banned

GPU:
    y...
    Awesome rig bud. But I really do think u should cut off some excess fat somewhere and go for a GTX 295. Yes really.

for such a kickass rig anything less than a 295 is demeaning.

heres what I would do...
    get an Asus P6T
    Samsung 1 TB HDD

somehow get a GTX295
    if not get the 2 GTX285s

8. Clavally

Clavally Member

GPU:
    Dunno
    but in terms of performance GTX 295 loses to 2 GTX 285. am i right to say?

9. Anubis

Anubis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 4GB
    Imho what I would do..
    Cut it with the speakers and the thermalright ultra 120 extreme cooler, getting a vista64(If you don't have it allready)

Instead I would save some extra bucks and get idd the 295. Speakers you can get later, and for now I would install win7 beta, when it's released then go for the win7x64..
    If you don't plan to overclock the cpu, you're fine for the stock cooler for now..

And for the TRUE120, is it even released for the corei7 socket allready?

10. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080

11. Clavally

Clavally Member

GPU:
    Dunno
  12. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    yeah :) been here since April'08

sorry for going off topic but where do you get your stuff?
    Too many stores @ SLS but next time, id avoid video pro and get my stuff at PC themes, it seems though they have a small store, their product range is good..

didnt know you could get an eVGA motherboard here though, i just noticed video pro started to sell eVGA videocards but dunno if we are covered with the step-up and warranty

BTW, there are similarly priced yet all aluminum casings at SLS, the HAF isnt all aluminum FYI (dunno if it matters to you)

13. Clavally

Clavally Member

GPU:
    Dunno
    your looking for eVGA graphic cards? In fact according to my fren he says sg only has eVGA GTX 260 core 216. I dunno abt prices all I got to do is ask my fren haha.

14. CCchips

CCchips Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 5970 2048Mb
    Yes, that's true. A GTX 260 in dual-SLI is slightly slower than a single GTX 295, and is roughly the same price (and both will require a monster of a PSU). Keep-in-mind that 2 GTX 285's in dual-SLI is much more expensive than a single GTX 295. A GTX 285 should be a nice fit for your machine though.

I'm assuming your gaming resolution is around 1900x1200 (Native) for your LCD? You don't have to worry about the latency for the RAM. Although it may perform better in synthetic benchmarks, real in-game performance across today's RAM is indistinguishible. Even Corsair's chief of engineering (quietly) confessed that there's nothing out there that remotely pushes RAM to stress levels that require revisions in the technology. Just make sure your RAM is DDR3 and doesn't exceed 1.65volts, otherwise your i7 will have a premature death!

I would recommend you switch from the Razer Lycosa to the Saitek Eclipse II if you want a gaming keyboard that offers programmable keys [i.e. macros]. If you are more concerned about overall build quality and the durability of the keys and paint, I'd recommend the SteelSeries 7G (but no macros). The Lycosa, G15, and Eclipse II suffer from the same problem - all have a lack of durability. All the keys' paint wears off in a matter of months, but it's purely aesthetic: they still perform great.

The backlighting on the Eclipse II is inferior to the Lycosa's, but it doesn't have the Lycosa's poor quality components. The Lycosa has been known to have keys break down permanently (covered in the warranty) and generally has a myriad of issues.

You could also save on the HDD. As long as it's 7200rpm SATA and above 0.32Gb/s in traqnsfer speed, no matter tha capacity it will be fast enough for gaming. You hear a lot about these "gaming HDD's", but the truth is that inquisitive people out there have benchmarked the differences in performance, and it's nil - they're the same. Remember, you are running a home computer for gaming, not a server (same reason why you don't pay extra for Samsung RAM - because it's server-quality RAM).

For your motherboard, I've heard around these forums there is a better, newer revision of another board that's cheaper and even better performance-wise, so make sure you check around the motherboard sections of Guru3D. For the mouse, I'd recommend the G5 (stay away from the G9 - I have one and it's awkward as hell to use because of it's shape).

Hope this helps. It's a killer rig you've got planned.

15. Clavally

Clavally Member

GPU:
    Dunno
    So ur recommending me to just get a GTX 285. What motherboard is it?

16. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
  17. Clavally

Clavally Member

GPU:
    Dunno
  18. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    if you are only gaming on a 24inch u wont need a board with triple sli features.

1x295 1x285 is enough so therefore the cheapest corei7 will suffice for everyday use and gaming.

1xpci x16 is all u need m8. if you are going to be doing professional graphics or playing games on a 40inch plasma 2500x1560 res screen then ok yes get a board with is sli enabled. e.g 2x16 pci slots being ideal.

the soundcard pci is different from the graphics pci. so 1x295 will leave u either a pci express or a normal pci for a soundcard.

i use this one..

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/149266

or u can pci express (smaller slot)

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/146350

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  19. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    videopro sells eVGA cards (and yes only the GTX 260 core216 AFAIK) what Im asking about is your eVGA motherboard :)

20. fearsjohn

fearsjohn Guest

GPU:
    evga 1070
    evgas motherboard is fine they fixed most of the issues with it.my first choice would be the dfi board that was posted already, then evga then asus.
    as far as gpus 2x 260s will be fine for your resolution or 1-295 or 1-285 all will work very well.
    also the 4870 x2 is a very good card as well.

i personally do not like sli and have never tried crossfire. to me sli needs alot of work to get it to work. i would stick with one very fast card. the gtx 285 or the gtx 260 or 4870 1gig cards. less hassle.