Powercolor AGP HD 3850

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Paladinchan, Jan 16, 2008.

1. enoch

enoch Banned

GPU:
    Powercolor HD4870
    You should be able to get into windows and download the drivers after you get the PSU and VGA card installed.If not try the drivers on the CD until you can download the latest driver.

I have an asus board with VIA chip P4M800 and works fine with the powercolor 3850.

They've updated the agp hotfix http://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&questionID=31625

But, I don't think you'll need it for sapphre card.

2. Imperious

Imperious Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward Phoenix GTX1070
    I'm running Powercolor HD3850 AGP with Asrock 4coredual sata, which is almost the same as the dual vsta model.
    It is good enough for over 11000 in 3dmark06, but You will likely get around 9000-10000 with a e6300.
    I also modded my e5200 cpu to boot at a default fsb of 266mhz, so over 3.3ghz helps with the scores.
    Plays Crysis fine, so all other games no probs.

3. ReDxKinG

ReDxKinG New Member

GPU:
    BFG 7800GS
    Interesting...good to know....Just 2 quick questions, Is your ram DDR1 or 2 and do you have it running your in dual channel mode? ALso, Do you think the power supply that I currently have is enough to support the 3850 agp?

4. Imperious

Imperious Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward Phoenix GTX1070
    My ram is DDR1 cas 2.3.2.5 Gskill 2gb in dual channel mode.
    Considering that DDR2 is cheap you would get better performance than with cas 3 ddr1. I don't think low latency ddr1 would make much difference fps wise than ddr2 would, but if you have cheap ddr1 then ddr2 would be the way to go.
    My old psu caused problems with this setup, an Antec Smartpower 2 500w, whereas prev comp with Pentium M cpu @ 2.7ghz and same Vid card had no probs at all with it.
    New Thermaltake psu fixed the probs. Your psu is likely better than the Antec was so see how you go.

The Pci-ex to AGP bridge chip (rialto) on these cards can cause lockups and crashes when it overheats, as Powercolor and other manufacturers somehow decided not to put a heatsink on it. I did and the card runs much better, but I still keep the speed to about 810/954 when doing online gaming.
    The dual core intel cpu's max out the video card which increased the problems compared to none on old system at 823/954.
    If You get a sapphire card,they don't clock up to the same speed as the Powercolor cards due to lower gpu volts, also they have a inferior cooler.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009

5. Polarite

Polarite New Member

GPU:
    XFX 7950gt 512 ddr3
    Hello ,

I'm considering to buy a AGP ATI HD 3850 card because my XFX 7950GT is dieing already only one dvi port works..., will I see a performance boost over my XFX 7950GT ?

I read a lot over the HD 3850 to be the fastest AGP of this moment , is this true ???

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  6. enoch

enoch Banned

GPU:
    Powercolor HD4870
    I can't get ATI OverDrive to work with my AGP 3850.The clock settings aren't sticking.Has anyone had any success with this card?

7. IVANHOE14

IVANHOE14 Member

GPU:
    HD3850 Agp
    I'm having the same problem as you it could be a bug with the drivers.:bang: Hopefully someone with the same card that got it working could point us in the right direction.

8. gleal

gleal New Member

GPU:
    Powercolor 3850 AGP
    Hello, yesterday i bought a 3850 agp card from Powercolor and i can't make it work, my system reeboot randomly after entering windows or if i try to run some 3D aplication, like a game or a benchmark.

I've updated my mbord bios and chipset drivers, and tried the drivers that came with the graphics card and the ati drivers with the hotfix. I also changed some agp bios settings like the fastwrite, graphics aperture size to 128 and 256 mb and the agp 3.0 calibration cycle and no go.

I've read that there are some incompatibilities with this cards and VIA. Is it possible to make this work or should I try to return the card?

AMD64 +3000
    Asus AV8
    TCCD 2x512MB PC3200 CL2
    ATI Raddeon X850 Pro (former card, everything worked fine)
    Maxtor 160GB + 2X WD 250GB
    Fonte Revoltec chromus II 450W
    Win XP Pro

Thanks in advance and sorry for my bad english.

9. Scott586

Scott586 New Member

GPU:
    Powercolor AG3850 / 512MB
    ATI Overdrive Not Sticking

I'm joining the crowd here with a non functioning overdrive. I can run the self-test and it runs through the GPU and memory tests fine. When I try to slide the settings higher and "apply", it just reverts back to stock.

I've successfully overclocked using ATI Tool, but it seems to overclock constantly even in 2D mode. The Overdrive is supposed to kick in overclocks only in 3D mode as needed.

I too would be grateful for some ideas on this one. Beyond that issue, the card seems to run fine (Powercolor).

Thanks

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  10. enoch

enoch Banned

GPU:
    Powercolor HD4870
    Is that why the settings don't save?Because overdrive only sets the clocks higher when you're playing a game?

Edit:According to spyre over at ati/amd forums :
    spyre Moderator

The overdrive clockspeeds only get used in 3D
    -------------------------
    Game.AMD Administrator

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009

11. Loster

Loster Master Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Hey gleal,
    i got the same A8V mainboard im my second config as you and exact the same issues.
    As i wrote here:
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=282935
    Set the BIOS setting "AGP Mode" to 4x

12. gleal

gleal New Member

GPU:
    Powercolor 3850 AGP
    Hey Loster, thank you very much, it worked fine!
    It must be the only setting that i didn't tried, LOL

I wonder if that reduction from 8x to 4x causes any bottleneck or lack of performance, do you know something about that?

Now i can play grid and all that games that require pixel shader 3 or greater.

Cheers

13. lennchma

lennchma New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD3850 AGP
    I've got this graphic card and must say it's very good.

14. braddles69

braddles69 Member

GPU:
    HIS HD3850 @ 770/950
    Hi all, I wanted to know if you think the HD 3850 will be a good upgrade for my system. I always thought I would rebuild in a year or so but then looking around yesterday saw that AGP is still going strong and if this card can get me through another couple of years then...great.
    I am a casual gamer only own 3 or so titles, may get the new FEAR as I loved the last one. Only worried that $180 is a bit of money for a card that may not see much improvement on with my CPU.(Then again I paid $130 for this crap X1650 Pro card:bang:)
    My system is OC'd at auto 10% and very stable but would love it if I could finally turn all the eye candy on FEAR. MOBO temps are always 50-60C and even on a 42C day my CPU hits only 70-72C. Is the Prescott CPU going to bottleneck much?
    In addition, I have looked at my psu, bought it to get the X1650 pro stable and it's a piece of crap Ritmo 500W with only 20 amps on the single 12v rail so understand I will have to buy a new one (Coolermaster Extreme 460W PSCORS460PCARA3 - anybody got it or know it? it has 2 x 12v rails with 18 amps each, should be enough I guess, though I am running 3 hdd, 1 wifi card, 1 tv card, the sound card and gpu!)
    So it gets down to A$186 for Powercolour hd3850, A$64 for the psu....and then if I go crazy A$165 for a samsung spinpoint 1 tb hdd to ease the load and bring my OS and drives into Sata time:)
    OR at least $800-$900 to build new rig with 775 chipset and E8400 etc etc.

When I built this rig 2 years ago I didn't think I would have to upgrade for awhile and though I am happy with it, the chance to set it up for the next 3-4 years stably and play new games , blu-ray etc with a stable PSU (atm the 3.3v is dropping into high 2.9's even after cleaning dust out of the PSU) is very tempting.
    Thoughts and opinions?
    I do love the mobo, very easy to oc and full of expansion slots and I built this baby:nerd:

Thanks in advance for your ideas.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  15. enoch

enoch Banned

GPU:
    Powercolor HD4870

16. braddles69

braddles69 Member

GPU:
    HIS HD3850 @ 770/950
    I would think a copper heatsink is better isn't it, more conductive therefore more heat into it and then with the fan more heat out? Seems the same in Oz now too...all seem to have a black plastic heatsink? Why?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  17. enoch

enoch Banned

GPU:
    Powercolor HD4870
    Yea, I'm pretty sure the copper wins there, especially since there are no memory heatsink anymore from the looks of it.

I guess they must be lowering production costs or something.Glad I got my card before they made the change.

18. scajjr2

scajjr2 Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus RT-6900XT LC
    I returned a Powercolor HD3850 AGP about a month ago to Newegg mainly cause it didn't work well with my board but also because the description on their web site showed the copper cooler, card came with plastic one. Newegg said they got pics and info from Powercolor. A day or so later Newegg pulled the Powercolor HD3850 AGP from it's site. It is now back but now with the plastic cooler pic and there is only 1 review listed for it.

Sam

19. braddles69

braddles69 Member

GPU:
    HIS HD3850 @ 770/950
    Well I have discovered that Powercolor has indeed changed the model from the original PowerColor PCS HD3850 512MB AGP
    Product Name :AG3850 512MD3-P with the copperheatsink and zerotherm cooler and slightly oc'd mem clocks to the plastic one (AG3850 512MD3), I guess to save costs:puke2: I would have liked to get the HIS Iceq3 Turbo model but none currently available in Oz :3eyes:
    But I was lucky enough to still find one of the performance Powercolor's so @ $205 Au$ I am eagerly awaiting my new card! This is the one most of the reviews were done for at the release date and a couple of reviews done using my board and same clock speed P4. Very excited:infinity: and looking for about a 4X increase in gaming performance from my old card (on ebay now...anybody want it!:wanker:
    I'll let you know how I go.
    I already have the 9.1 drivers and the AGP hotfix downloaded, Coolermaster Extreme 460W PSU coming with it and hope all will be good for :biggun:

Thanks guys this thread provided a heap of info and convinced me to keep my rig going for another couple of years.
    Cheers

20. Loster

Loster Master Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    just played FEAR2 on my second system.

AMD64 3700+ (2200 Mhz)
    2GB RAM
    Vista 32bit
    ATI AGP HD3850

Ingame setting 1280x1024 everything maxed out 4x AA.
    FPS range 30fps - 60fps.
    It stutters during the continuous ingame loading times on my machine, coz the harddiskdrive is in use at that time, maybe 2GB of RAM isnt enough for that game and Vista ? I dunno but thats the only one thing what is alil anoying for me. However, all in one i am very happy with this AGP Card.

Maybe i should test the Win7 OS , WIN7 shouldnt be that much resources and RAM hungry :).

Two screenshot:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]