GPU accelerated and enhanced x.264 MKV movie playback [Guru3D]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Joey

Joey Guest

GPU:
    2600XT + Panasonic S10
    Your problem is probably just XP and ATI's driver. I tried to fix this many times back when I had XP and it's always a dead end. Sometimes XP just doesn't like VMR9, from MPC especially. Have you got '.net2.0' (or maybe 3.0 ) installed? If so you can try the EVR renderer under XP, that might fix the problem.

On problem "3" try and block ffdshow from being the first thing MPC asks for decoding x264. First way to do this is to go into ffdshow's video config (from xp start menu).. then under codecs untick x264.
    If that doesn't work go to "external filters" in MPC then "add filter" and find ffdshow (or any other decoder that does x264.. like Cyberlink PowerDVD) .. press OK and then and select block.

Also..... a tip, if you want to use ffdshow for scaling low res video and CoreAVC for x264... which I do... you want to use the external filters option to set CoreAVC to "prefer".. and it'll pop up for the codecs it supports.

2. johnnyxp64nd

johnnyxp64nd Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 4850 TOXIC 512mb
    i cant belive i hated Vista and now i am thinking of installing them :p

1)i unistalled Everything cause i am using Windows XP x64, i thought i should try the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack 2.0 x64 and MPC HC x64 too! i am a programmer and i allready use .net 3.5 so i tried the output you said, in this new x64 version with the filter x264 checked it worked perefctly!! tnx a lot!
    i have dx novenber 2008 latest and Catalyst 9.1.

2)now i see i have lots of filter not only 5-6 as you see in the above scshot,
    i have also BLOCKED the fdshow filter. tnx again on how to

3)about the Horisontal Lines i ckeched the Lock Back Buffer, and i am trying right now to see the results! hope it works thanks for your help dude!!

p.s MPC x64 and K-Lite Codecs x64 is extreamly Faster when loading Movies! amazing! using x86 unde x64 XP was not so fast, it took up to 5 sec just to load a hd movie file now it take 0.5sec!:biggun:

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  3. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I have some terrible noob questions here.
    1 - How can I make sure acceleration is enabled for certain things. Hilbert's guide just said to check of the right thing such as Matroska for x.264. I'm playing some 1080p wmv files and they're not accelerating on the GPU considering up to 40% of my CPU is taken while running them in MPC Home Cinema (which is pretty bad considering plain old MPC takes 15%). What options do I need to set to accelerate WMV?

2 - Why can't the 64 bit version seem to work with DirectVobSub?

4. johnnyxp64nd

GPU:

1)i just found out i have the same issue here, MPCx64 EVP output, x264filter enable doesnt play H.264 WMV files:bang:

2)you dont need the directvob sub, just enable the subtitles from the mpc options. (options>Playback>AutoLoad Subtitles Checked)

5. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I somehow never noticed that, lol. Thanks.

6. Joey

Joey Guest

GPU:
    2600XT + Panasonic S10
    Are these VC-1 videos or WMV 1080p video you are trying to play? Because they are similar but not the same. MPC won't accelerate WMV9 via dvxa.... as far as I know.

Post of a screen shot of the filters right click menu when you are playing the video so I can see what it's using...

[​IMG]

7. RejZoR

RejZoR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Silent
    I got around 40-50% CPU usage when playing 1080p H.264 content on my E5200.
    GPU usage jumps to 15% sometimes during playback on my HD4850.
    I'm using FFdShow and WMP11 for video. So it's no biggie really even if it's not HW accelerated.

8. TREAD™

TREAD™ New Member

GPU:
    None
    And the sound.. MPCHC doesn't have equalizer?

9. johnnyxp64nd

GPU:
    well any WMV file is crashing mpc x64 or i get the file cannot be rendered messege. those files are 720p files downlowded from GameTrailers or the wmv microsoft samle ones you had in your screenshot.

here is the filters. (is there any difference also between the h.264 (DXVA) and h.264 (FFmpeg) cause the DXVA alone doesnt play anything, but the FFmpeg works great, they are saying that both are depending on the FFmpeg.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

also the ffdshow filter is Blocked as you said in the external Filters section.

UPDATE
    by reinstall wmplayer codecs from microsoft i managed at least to play those files in WMP, trying reinstalling MP11 again, maybe this will wake up the MPC too, cause i think they share the same codec right? i want to use MPC to play WMV and use the shader sharpen mode, cant i?

10. oile

oile Guest

GPU:
    GTX 680 @1293 3500
    Firstly THANKS A LOT for stressing the MKV-HW acceleration problem...I've always been looking for it..
    I have a gaming laptop with 9800M GT and an X9000 and you can understand how much I wanted to play HD videos spending the minimum power running on battery!
    I used to use Nero Showtime for mkv reading from HDD because reading from my DVD-rom causes mini freezes regularly.(new version has purevideo acc)
    After having tried VLC, KMPlayer, FFDshow+WMP11, PowerDVD, WinDVD I found that coreAVC with its software decoder was more efficient in power consumption than any other..so I choose coreAVC+WMP11 (in High quality mode + directx acceleration).
    This combination permitted me to use all the NVIDIA enhanchements like sharpening, colour dynamic saturation etc..
    however I was experiencing a 40% CPU usage with my CPU @ 1.20GHz and the card didn't seem in use..

Now I red the article, I had installed MPC HC from K-Lite COdec Pack that I have, modified option and..CPU usage @ 10% and videocard IN USE but very SLOW decoding (drops a lot of frames) let's say 14 fps..
    What's wrong with it ??? I have XP 32-bit and tried all options..
    the strange thing is that if I try the overlay mixer...10% usage and FLUID decoding but videocard NOT IN USE o_O

Now I'v always been waiting for coreAVC with CUDA decoder..so I tried new 1.9..
    requested, installed and..with WMP11+core1.9 CUDA enabled+High quality mode+directx acc 10% CPU usage,videocard IN USE but SLOW decoding...
    then changing high quality mode in Overlay mixer I have the same results but with FLUID decoding..o_O

Could you explain me what WMP11 video out options do in relationship with MPC HC ??
    I don't understand this strange behaviour..

11. Garak

Garak Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG Geforce 280 GTX OC
    Yea azureus (well Vuze now) has lots of videos re-encoded into mkv (h.264/vorbis) but there problem is there all user uploaded in different formats and they automatically re-encode them into mkv with seemingly no QA becaust most files end up with poor quality and broken audio sync. Also there idea of HD is 720p, never 1080p.

Re FFXIII trailer.. The version I have of that is from fileplanet and is indeed full HD - 1080p. But as I mentioned before it's not MKV container as most HD files aren't, its a .mp4. Codecs used acording to mediainfo:
    Video
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : Main@L4.1
    Audio
    Format : AAC
    Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
    Format version : Version 4

But I can't get it or any mkv files I have to run gpu accelerated. In MPCHC my filters show ffdshow doing the work even tho I turned on the internal mkv filter so I dunno.
    Regardless they work fine on my E6600 - 30-40% cpu usage even on a massive 8gb 1080p HDDVD rip at 8000kps.

12. elrazor

elrazor Master Guru

GPU:
    AorusMaster 3080
    This stuff loads my CPU to - 5% max.. when 1080p playing.. fully CUDA gpu processing ^__^

[​IMG]

13. Garak

Garak Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG Geforce 280 GTX OC
    Yea CoreAVC looks like the best way to go now (well for users of nvidia cards). As it gives top notch image quality, great performance and full compatibility with all directshow players. I used it with BSplayer and MPC and it worked awesome. CPU usage goes from 30-40% down to 5-15% decoding a 1080p mkv of avc/ac3-5.1

I think the reason Hilberts guide isn't working for allot of people is he didn't mention which if any Codec to use - just that you should use the internal matroska filter - which is just a filter/splitter far as I know. I think some versions of ffdshow can do DXVA but not all.

BTW CoreAVC performs very badly if you use the internal MPC filter, so disable it and use Haali splitter for much better performance. I was getting dropped frames using the internal one with cuda on or off. But with it off and using haali instead it worked great, and shaders worked as well.

14. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Incorrect, but I'm not explaining it all over again. CoreAVC since yesterday does handle DXVA via CUDA yes, but image quality is still a tad little bit poor really.

The ultimate combo ?
    For those interested, you can combine CoreAVC (CUDA accelerated) with Media Player Classic (and apply shader post processing to improve image quality).

CoreAVC, install latest 182.05 driver -> enable CUDA in CoreAVC.

Then in MPC HT- > Options -> external filters -> add filter -> CoreAVC decoder.

Now CoreAVC will be embedded into Media Player Classic for playback + you can enable the shaders like image sharpening.

Enjoy ;)

15. Zicmu

Zicmu Active Member

GPU:
    ATi 5850
    Nice article, i tested straight away but the result is not quite like what i expected.

I am using
    A780GM-A (V1.1) from ECS
    AMD X2 5000+
    4GB RAM
    Vista Ultimate 64

with latest Driver ATi 9.1
    and DirectX (Nov 2008)

It doesnt seems that my GPU is being used during the video playback. When i open the task manager with MPC, it shows that my CPU is being stressed out almost 100%....

does anyone know how to deal with this? i dont know what im missing here

16. Joey

Joey Guest

GPU:
    2600XT + Panasonic S10
    Hilbert I'd recommend against appling edge enhanement to videos. It's just nasty.

I'm guessing that there were conflicts with the codec pack you installed or ones you've installed in the past. In theory you shouldn't need ANY codecs installed on the machine.. MPC will decode everything with it's internal decoders including WMV. However people like to use ffdshow and coreavc with it because they want a little more control. If WMP is also screwed up then I would say remove the Klite codec pack. Something in there doesn't like your computer.

"here is the filters. (is there any difference also between the h.264 (DXVA) and h.264 (FFmpeg) cause the DXVA alone doesnt play anything, but the FFmpeg works great, they are saying that both are depending on the FFmpeg."

Is your screen shot with the filters right cick menu playing a H264 video? If it is then it's already using the internal MPC decoder, which should use dvxa if possible... it's not using ffdshow. The ffmepg one won't use the GPU.
    If you want to use ffdshow for some video decoding in MPC, like xvid/divx, then you'll have remove the block and go into ffdshow's video settings and stop it from decoding the codecs, like x264, in it's codec's panel.

.. .there are so many different places to fiddle with codecs and stuff it can get complicated. Not easy to sort these problems out over the internet where you can't see what the problem is :p

17. Sasco

Sasco Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 970
    Interesting article, thanks,

Anyone else get stutters with shaders when using a 9800GX2?

18. Zicmu

Zicmu Active Member

GPU:
    ATi 5850
    Sasco, you shouldnt have any problem even using CPU to playback the video.

19. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    With Cyberlink's codecs and HW acceleration enabled H.264 1080p content uses as much CPU as when decoding normal DVD :D - basically nothing at all (+-2%).

20. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    All H264 decoders should output pixel-identical video. The only real advantage of offloading to the GPU is to allow more post-processing, but I wouldn't use a filter if the source is good enough.

I mean this is great for low end machines or HTCPs, but using it on a machine that has anything better then a core i7 is kinda meh.