A tip for you internet connection

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by mudgunner, Feb 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    PLZ add yahoo dsl to this list PLZ.

I just came off of Time Warner which was mostly smooth goings but Yahoo is pissing me off. I'm tempted to find out where they live and burn down their mailboxes. ALL OF THEM LOL

jk but you see my frustration

2. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RX 6600
    Then I'm jealous to you now. Mine is 256 Kbps down, 64 Kbps up, and NEVER at full speed. :D

3. mudgunner

mudgunner Active Member

GPU:
    ati rad 3200+2600xt
    first was a type what i meant to say is make sure firewall/anti virus has proper exceptions made and fact is most dont know that cause i use to deal with them every day.
    Second, it isnt common knowledge what programs in windows OS that can be turned off.
    Go into your services and you trying to tell me everyone knows how to get thier stock machine running 100 applications down to 40.
    For example auto update, so minute but yet if it sees an update available it has now decided to hold up some bandwidth.
    Another perfect example is windows error reporting service, the fact is it does nothing but take up space so why have it on and load up with system.
    You know i wish it was all common knowledge that way i wouldnt hear people complaining that servers are laggin when it their own fault.
    The way i see it before one is to start blaming everything else around them look at what you can improve on your end first.
    As far as the modems go here again not common knowledge. If it was common knowledge then why are so many people still using the outdated modems.
    I wish for the rude people i put up my original speed. It was usually running around 16000 to 18000 stock system.
    Turned off all programs including the obvious and not so obvious and it climbed to 22000.
    I knew the MTA i was using was flawed so i added a proper split and added my old surfboard sb5120 and well you can see the difference.
    I would sit and retalliate however you did make some good corrections and im glad you said so.
    As you can see i dont type the best in forums but i will advise you next time to at least talk with respect. The internet is a screwed up place man and not a good place to make enemies.
    out of all the crazies on the world chances are there are some here posting in forums that are waiting for someone to piss them off so they can go hunting.

PS the upload had very little change it has always been 4500-5500

I worked for time warner/charter/cablevision/media one/AT&t/Comcast
    We were the ones who rebuilt the cable systems in new england for the broadband technologies.
    We were the first in the country to head this technology and most of you didnt even see it til we had the system perfected.
    When comcast took over they inherited a system that was 99 percent rebuilt from scratch.
    When you are dealing with two way flow, any interruptions cause havoc and this even includes a loose fitting.
    This is also why they use rg6 now is because it has the proper impedance of 75ohm, 59 doesnt and it bounces back into system.
    This area has best speeds in country and it isnt really the company it the system they bought out.
    Charter, time warner and cable vision were the worst. They started the broadband in most areas without doing a full rebuild which is why the speed isnt there. There sytems cannot handle the traffic and neither can their head ends.....yet.
    The new digital conversion for the most part is forcing these companies to have to upgrade their systems so hopefully soon alot of you will see some dramatic changes.
    When it comes down to it, when you rebuild a system it usually bankrupts the company cause the CEO's arent gonna take a smaller bonus so your internet is faster.
    In this area it was started by media one and lancity/bay networks engineers.
    Media one did what they had to do but went bankrupt and then was bought out by AT&T. My god that was a disaster, they had no idea what they were doing with their software or head ends.
    By time comcast came around they had the knowledge and now had the perfect system for it. In essence it is mostly location and in order to have the speeds you see it takes two things....proper rebuild of all outdated hardline and equipment and a complete overhaul of headends.

PS COMCAST WAS JUST SUED FOR CAPPING BANDWIDTH.
    Alot of companies are playing a trick with the pricing right now.
    The trick is they are creating higher speed packages and lower speed packages. what this does is create a divide or i should say excuse for capping the bandwidth.
    When they do this they take your current service and lower the price, then you will see a decrese in speed and call up. YOu want higher speed!
    They have now just created thier own high demand for faster and better service.....are you following me. Its a trick but in reality it works.
    My speeds are going way faster than what comcast guarantees but they cant do anything about it simply cause by law they cannot make any guarantee on speeds cause there is no way to get a perfect determination of how it gonna be.
    There are way too many things in the way and they can only tell you that you can get that speed to their head end, thats it.
    This is also why most cable companies dont have a proper speedtest directly to head ends.
    I could go on all night about some of the tricks i seen used to fix or raise rates.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  4. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    I think you've topped your first post. Kudos.

5. mudgunner

mudgunner Active Member

GPU:
    ati rad 3200+2600xt
    thanks man..... i do know im hard to follow in forums sometimes.
    I prefer all my words cramped cause i speed read and it is only respectful for me to try and think of how it is on other eyes.
    As far as the dude trying to walk on my parade the fact is i did make a few mistakes that needed clearin up and im thankful i was able to clear it up.
    I have no hard feelings especially to see how many others understood my intentions.
    Im not gonna let his tone stop my intentions and to be honest the dude was right.
    Just needs to understand sometimes there is a better way to say things.

AS far as the QOS scheduler its all relative to your connection. It seems small but if you already have a connection that isnt the greatest and you have all kinds of crap starting with machine that shouldnt be then yes its gonna make a difference.
    Even with the connection i have i still dont have it enabled, like i said before no matter how much resources you have info does collide and even i can see a difference if i leave msn on and someone sends a message while playing a game.
    Here a good way for some of those who dont understand to check out. .
    turn on your msn but do not login. Then hit the x tab to exit out. it will still be showing up on your lower right screen tool bar(not logged in) but not on your actual desktop. hit the ctrl alt and tab go to task manager then hit processes and look at how much reserve it is using even while not in use.
    That is a small example of how to waste resources when you might not have alot to spare to begin with.
    Internet is the same way if you already have a relatively slow connection you can actually get better game response than someone close to mine with all the bullcrap goin as long as you know what to disable.

6. Rancoor

Rancoor Banned

GPU:
    y...
    think we didn't know this already?? ur right, i didn't :)

7. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    His information might not be useful to everyone, but it will be to the less informed.

Give the guy a break ffs!!

8. mudgunner

mudgunner Active Member

GPU:
    ati rad 3200+2600xt
    the reality is this. I tend to be verbose at times when typing for many reason.

Alot of times sentences or words leave room for intepretation so i like to use examples or ideas which take alot of space.

usually when you explain something to someone and you leave room for intepretation it becomes distorted.

My target audience is anyone who feels as if their just might be one thing they do not know that another carries in their head.

My sentence structure sux and i know it so point it out all you want ill try my best to write better. As far as saying its stupid well in reality when you write buisiness or proffesional letter there is no double spacing so therefore proper format in a forum is different thane ordinary structure.

I dont think i ever used terms like WTF or OMFG or LMFAO in a buisiness letter.

WIth this said im open to criticism just make it constructive and realize i try to be as explanative as possible to leave less room for error.

My last point is the minute you come out and say all info is usless and when you stop being human.

Human namture is to share knowledge to improve what we can. Some call it learning and others think they already know everything.

With this said i am actually quite happy to see the responses and that most seen what i was trying to convey and that my target audience isnt a network engineer its the dude who just bought a pc and and is having issues and doesnt have the slightest idea. Not the member guru's themselves.

I am by no means a guru, was sharing what ive learned for anyone who might google looking for anwers and thats what i thought these forums were for.

If everyone walked around always assuming everyone already knew everything then we probably wouldnt be existing right now.

In future i cannot promise i wont give lengthy comments but i will do my best to make it easier to read.

9. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    omg so you are responsible for the terrible internet speed in the uk. right! hehe.

actually its not bad. am with talktalk and using a netgear dg 834 v3 and with a normal phone line (not cable) can get 400kb/s a sec. thats ok for £20 or so a month.

it comes with in-built trend micro. whats your opinion on routers with firewalls built in? plus would you say my router is crap?

in several years havent had a virus and was hacked once i think. thing is i dont want to pay for something like norton etc etc but i do want good protection.

would be interested to know some ideas about this.

personnally i think the more info the better...more for brain-like sponge to soak up hehe. ok i dont understand a lot of what you are saying but u never know you read something later on down the line and then u think ahh so thats what is..

10. mudgunner

mudgunner Active Member

GPU:
    ati rad 3200+2600xt
    first off i had nothing to do with international systems all i do know is that the transatlantic cable hits uk from new york.....lol
    Were the the first crews to get the first broadband systems in the nation up and running and at that time all of uk and europe was already ahead of us in technology then we surpassed it.

just so i dont waste your time i really dont know how the infrastructures are in the uk. If im right you guys mainly have isdn/dsl.

All the codes i gave were specific to american standards as far as signal levels and i do know for a fact that europe and uk are much different when it comes to how they use the frequencies/channels.

Our federal protocols are much differnt than your so for me to say could be negligence on my part and i wouldnt want to steer you in wrong direction.

I can say if you are getting you telephone and internet off of the same box the software has not been perfected yet.

I used vonage for a while and found it to be horrible and the firewall on the router was the worst ive ever seen with no firmware updates.

norton is horrible and very resource hungry. Alot of people have their favorites but mine is avg8.0 free for antivirus. DO custom install with no email scanner if you have email service that already scans.

AVG is a fairly light program however it is best to do all scans manually.
    And when avg finds something it actually gets rid of it instead of giving you a message like norton would... "found trojan/worm....good luck!"

AS far as your router as long as you bought it within 6 years you are ok and i stress the word OK because protocols might be the same over there but listed differently. As long as it meets the g protocol you are OK if it meets the N protocol then you are golden.

no matter what the router is though it is wise to add the games to the dmz.

All you have to do is look at the game and port for example cod4
    Google in "COD4 port preference" then fill out the info needed.

Not all routers have the same config for a dmz but netgears i do believe have the dmz option under gaming and applications.
    One thing to keep in mind is some models of netgear hybrid modems/router have issues overheating and actually melts the plastic casing.
    If it is a combo get a small pc fan and rig it up to the vent to cool it down.

Im not positive but i think the problem was with the power supply and they have recently fixed it about 6 months to a year ago. If it is overheating im not sure how the power suply was causing it to overheat so buying a multi power (ac/dc with all differnt voltages) adapter at radio shack might not solve the issue.

11. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Just to add, a hardware firewall should be complimented with a software firewall.

A router will stop harmful inbound connections, but it can't stop malware on your computer from contacting another IP.

12. Doug

Doug Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
    well im with o2 and i get 600-800kb/s for £9 per month, abandon talktalk abandon talktalk!

13. mudgunner

mudgunner Active Member

GPU:
    ati rad 3200+2600xt
    well passion i partially agree. It depends on the program.
    Ordinarily to have two firewalls with a pc that has simplified usage is overkill.

I personally use one firewall but have multiple hidden acounts that look like admin and my true admin is hidden with a very secured password that would take a number generator ages to break.
    Having two firewalls going is a very tough game to play for those who arent fully aware of how to configure.

If one has the knowledge to know what to use from each great but most people dont so foe the average joe just use one really good one.

And for the people who dont know firewalls too well i will say windows firewall is useless if you have a hacker that really want to get in.

I guess the way i see it i dont have personal info on this machine so if a hacker wants to spend a day trying to get in he is wasting his time and will be very dissapointed if he does get in at the lack of anything useful.

14. Deathspank

Deathspank Guest

GPU:
    Gainward GTX570 1280mb
    this has to be the madest thread ive ever read. what an uproar over a bit of text, even a banning lol.

15. mudgunner

mudgunner Active Member

GPU:
    ati rad 3200+2600xt
    lmao i agree it is amazing how a simple FYI can turn into a battle due to arrogance.

16. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    never a dull moment at guru eh?

17. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    joke thread?

seriously, where do you get off acting like you know what you're talking about... telling people they should always use their router's dmz is the dumbest most dangerous thing you can do with your router, I don't even know why they put it in home routers.

Also, Using QoS will almost always give you higher latencies, because the router has to inspect each packet before forwarding it, which just slows it down.
    If you have issues with bandwidth sharing in your home, grow some balls and talk to the people you live with about their usage.

Also, surfboard lol.

18. mudgunner

mudgunner Active Member

GPU:
    ati rad 3200+2600xt
    so what you are saying is to have an open port on a game is not acceptable. Every game manufacturer and firewall and antivirus suggest dooing so....in fact you have to do so with programs such as punkbuster. Part of this is also that having and exception made is to keep an open port for that specific communication this doesnt mean thoe whole pc is on an open port thats why you have to manually add the .exe file

AS far as me trying to come across as if i know anything im only trying to convey and help the people that complain on a daily basis.

Since you know so much more lets see your speedtest from your home network.

AS the majority seen i am relaying the info to the people who go out and buy all the crap and dont know how to use it. If you already know then it doesnt apply obviously and if you dont understand that then you just proved yourself to be the dummy for all here to see and laugh.

And with all do respect there is a million ways to watch over a network and there are already ports that can be taken advantage of and this is why windows has so many security updates.....i mean for your tone i would think you would know this.

Actually i reprieve my statements cause after reading ur post i realized you are trying to flame and are flat out wrong and if anyone else here thinks that having firewall and router filtering the ports doesnt effect punkbuster communication handshake then why is it the biggest auto kick problem.

You make no sense and are just trying to start crap.....lightly put you are a virus yourself and to be honest i can tell you have no friends or anyone that can stand being near you.

My suggestion for that problem is buy a nice springfield mc operator (.45) and uninstall life. if you dont someone will do it for you eventually.

To be honest im not a know it all but i do know a few things and it now feels really good to have someone called an ancient guru spew out such stupidity when the fact is im a noob and made alot more sense. Thanks for the support you didnt intend.....might want to keep a mental note that sometimes when you pull crap like that it backfires and you become the one laughed at.

BTW on the last note ******** sb5120 and up are the least problematic out of all. I use to have to review the reports of failing modems. RCA was second worst and the first was westell or some crap like that.
    Most companies use to give them away for free as part of installation for a reason.

19. scipio

scipio Guest

GPU:
    Evga 1080 gaming
    3 years ago, my nephew was staying with us and evrytime he opened a Halo2 game on xbox live I'd get severe lag. Bought a d-link gaming router, reserved room for my online games and no matter what he did my bandwith was reserved. no more lag for me...a little for him. QoS does work, or did, no longer have need for it though. 1mb connection back then.

DMZ should not be used...agree

20. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    Hello, do you know what the DMZ is?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demilitarized_zone_(computing)

wikipedia < - very useful for people who need to know things...

Putting your PC in the DMX does not open game ports - IT OPENS ALL PORTS!
    If you think that's safe, please, be my guest, continue to do it.

Game manufacturers do not recommend using DMZ, they almost all tell you to use port forwarding for only the ports required for their game.
    Antivirus companies would never tell you to use a DMZ, that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

I use punkbuster every time I play COD4, and my computer is not in the DMZ for my router (which is running DD-WRT btw, installed and configured by me...) I don't even need to forward the ports because I have a NAT router, which takes care of the port allocation for 99% of games. The only game I've ever needed forwarding for was Supreme commander.

Having a fast internet connection doesn't prove how much I know about networking... when I get the results from the exam I took a few weeks back, I'll gladly share.

<- this is a phrase... wow, I've been saying it wrong all these years.

Yeah, I'm the idiot here... because you just told me to shoot myself, you win, yeah, here's an internet, no wait, have two.

Take your internet tough guy bs somewhere else please. You clearly don't know anything about networking and your penchant for firearms is disturbing... I mean, how lame is it you tell me the brand and model and caliber of gun I should use to shoot myself... as If I care what you're preferred gun is, and that I would want to affirm your preferences while I kill myself because you told me to... on an internet forum...

epic fail thread, epic fail poster.

YES, you're right, for once...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.