Fallout 3 High Definition Texture Pack

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by madmax987, Dec 9, 2008.

1. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Yes, it'll just recreate them on next game start. GFWL is an abbreviation for 'games for windows live', which needs to be disabled or it'll keep trying to install the latest patch.

2. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    Ahhh, I understand. Can't you just opt not to install it when reinstalling the game?

3. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

I think it gets installed automatically (might be wrong), but there's a file that lets you enable/disable it in fallout 3 on the fly:

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=1086

4. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC

5. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

You're welcome.

6. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

A recent mod that caught my eye was '4Aces TexMesh', this is a huge mod and tries to change almost everything texture/mesh related from sharper textures to higher resolution lod/normal maps. the dowload size weighs in at over 1.5GB so the instructions below should be followed to avoid any issues.

The mod comes in packed archives (*.bsa) and will replace the original archives shipped with the game so no need to worry about any mods you are currently using as they will remain in the data folder and should work correctly as long as your archiveinvalidationinvalidated file is present in the data folder. This mod installs differently from others so you must read the instructions provided.

4Aces TexMesh

By KMA

LINK:

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=3288

Screenshots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Description:

Download Instructions

There are a large number of files and I recommend downloading all of them however the fallout3 nexus servers can be slow at times so mirrors have been added, the main texture and mesh files (in single file form) should be downloaded from filefront mirror (present as a tab) and 'all' the rest directly from fallout 3 nexus.

Another mod I recently installed is called Fellout 3, it is a weather overhaul and tries to improve on the overall lighting and sky by removing the yellow haze, this is similar to the 'clear skies' mod posted earlier; however this is quite a bit better.

Fellout 3:

By Hattix

LINK:

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=2672

Screenshots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Description:

One thing to note about this mod is that it makes nights incredably dark so you'll be using your pipboy light alot, or you could download the 'nightvision goggles' mod below:

Night Vision Goggles

By farbentier

LINK:

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=3836

Screenshots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Description

An application that might be of interest to some of you is the 'Fallout - Mod Sorter', This application attemps to sort the load order of all your mods to reduces any conflicts or performance issues.

FOMS - Fallout Mod Sorter

By: broken85
    Version 0.5.0

LINK:

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=3596

Description:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2009
  7. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
  8. Unstable_Hero

Unstable_Hero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 295
    Repair rethought

While playing FO3 I noticed the fact that repair is extremely limited in vanilla, this changes that.

Xrepair Weapons, Cross Repair Weapons, Cross Repair Armor and Xrepair Nip Edition all by their respective authors tried to change this, but some things were left out, and I desired more.

Repair Rethought contains all the great changes from Cross Repair Armor and Cross Repair Weapons and builds on those fine mods by adding more realistic options.

This gives a purpose to all that wonderful junk you've been collecting!

Features:

*Weapons and metal based armor can now be repaired by Scrap Metal.
    *Clothing and leather based armor can now be repaired by Wonderglue.
    *Weapons and armors that include wood can now be repaired with most wooden items.
    *Clothing and leather based armor can now be repaired by most fabric items.
    *All Schematic created items can now be repaired by the items needed to create them.

Installation: Put the Repair Rethought.esp in your Fallout 3/Data installation directory.

---------------------------------------------------

Im really lovin that fellout mod so much better looking and easier on the eyes

9. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Along with the 4aces textures/meshes mod above, another 'complementary' mod released by the same author is ' 4Aces HiRes Pack', the significance of this mod is that it incorporrates a few important mods such as NMC's landscape and megaton texture packs and goes further by improving texture quality of vehicles and interiors, it also has a small perofrmance impact and when used with the mod posted above can be considered a complete game texture quality overhaul but without a significant performance penalty.

The texture mods included are not the high/maximum resolution mods so the image quality is lower but of course those come at a performance penalty.

4Aces HiRes Pack

By KMA

Download size: 600MB

Uncompressed: 1.3GB

Screenshots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Description:

LINK:

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=3793

(I recommend using the mirror for a single file fast downlaod)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2009
  10. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    I'll tell you what Blackzero, I'm getting unbelievably annoyed. I'm experiencing crashes left and right. I have the mods that you have you so graciously pointed out installed and I'm crashing constantly. I don't get it.

I even cranked down my AF and AA to see if it had any difference. Nope. Nada. My PC is not insignificant and there's no reason why I should be freezing up all the time. I don't experience complete crashes but my screen totally freezes and I have no choice but to CTRL-ALT-DEL and then End Task.

I believe that I made a mistake and allowed the latest patch to be applied. But this is getting absolutely frakking ridiculous. This game goes down more often than Paris Hilton at a coke party. I love it but my anger grows with every freeze-up.

I could understand if my rig was below specs but it most definitely is not. I merely spin my view around in some areas and whammo!, frozen screen.

Bethesda has clearly dropped the ball on this one, which is unfortunate because I had the utmost respect for that company previously.

If my rig can successfully navigate over 50 passes of Linpack with every core maxed, I can't see how my hardware is an issue here. This is a serious coding issue and I find it to possess a majorly negative impact on this game.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009

11. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Idk Classic, I did have crashes too, mostly ctd's though, but ever since I got rid of the latest patch/gfwl and redone my whole fallout 3 installation including the data folder; I have been smooth sailing for the most part, I even listed out what I did step by step in one of the posts above.

However, my first thought would be that your problems are related to mods missing/load order/archive invalidation, in other games like oblivion all of this is taken care of by the mod manager/archive invalidator. For fallout 3, to the best of my knowledge, we don't have anything as comprehensive, however I did post an application that tries to deal with just this; called the fallout mod sorter, its a few posts up.

If that doesn't help then I can only suggest going through the mods on an individual basis.

ps. This game's quite tempremental to gpu overclocks, worth a try at stock clocks; if you haven't already.

12. thales100

thales100 Master Guru

GPU:
    3-way SLI GTX 480
    Looks great, thx for posting. :)

13. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

No worries thales100.

ps.

Classic Satch or anyone else having crashing problems could try renaming the fallout 3 folder in users\documents\my games and then starting the launcher; this will create a fresh fallout 3 folder, this is because the folder contains config files scattered throughout that can acuse conflicts. Make sure to edit the fallout.ini file in the new folder and change invalidateolderfiles to =1 add archivainvalidationinvalidated!.bsa to the correct string.

You should be now able to start a game with any mods you may have, enabled or disabled, once you are sure it's running fine; copy an earlier/ or the latest game save from the older/renamed folder over to the new fallout 3 folder and see if this helps.

14. Smellbow

Smellbow Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080
    Awesome job blackzero - props to you!

Ive been wanting to play through again and now i have a good reason to - lots of mods, im gonna go through this and download everything :D (well almost)

I assume that Ill only need those newer texture mods as apposed to downloading all posted texture packs? I guess some will just cancel each other out or make crazy stuff happen.

Just need to find the time to reinstall F3 now,

If its not too much to ask could you compile a post with the list of mods you suggest and perhaps an order of install? Dont want to balls it up!

No probs if not, i know its a bit of an ask! :pc1:

15. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    That's about the only thing I haven't tried yet. And I do appreciate all your input regarding this game. It's been extremely helpful and saved me a lot of time doing the legwork myself. :)

16. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Yeah you're right, I've been thinking the same thing too as this thread has gotten a little cluttered over time and people are bound to encounter compatibility issues other than wasting time downloading unnecessary files, I'll try to complile a comprehensive list with the latest and most recommended mods.

Well you caught me as I was in the process of fixing alot of these same issues anyway so it was no extra trouble really.

17. gridiron whirlw

gridiron whirlw Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    Awsome BlackZero.....I too can't wait for your list

Thanks for all of your effort in this.....it is much appreciated.

18. Hootmon

Hootmon Guest

GPU:
    XFX THICC III Ultra
    +1

I think Ill wait for that list before installing any more mods.

19. Smellbow

Smellbow Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080
    Cool beans :)

Thanks for your efforts!

20. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest