Asus Rampage Extreme II x58 SLI Issues

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Ambush083, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Ambush083

Ambush083 Member

GPU:
    EVGA / GTX 280 / TRI SLI
    @ fhertlein - Wow, intresting Avatar. Pretty demonaic. What is that from and what is it?
    I used to have the Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Sound Card with my old PC. That gave me a lot of problems. The drivers were not good and everyone was complaining about it if you had Vista. I think they fixed that, though. Also, I think if you have 2 Audio Card on at the same time it could pose a problem. Its always a part of the troubleshooting process with most people I talked to. Disable onboard sound. I dunno.

@ andersondiaz - I don't have an option for PCI-E settings if I do 3 Way SLI. Its been greyed out. Although, for SLI I do.

2. IversGarn

IversGarn New Member

GPU:
    ASUS GTX280 SLI

CPU configuration
    CPU Ratio Setting - AUTO
    Intel Speedstep tech - enable
    Intel Turbo Mode tech - enable (Turbo mode adds the additional multiplier to make it 21)

3. IversGarn

IversGarn New Member

GPU:
    ASUS GTX280 SLI
    Try uninstalling all the audio drivers and softwares and also try removing the sound cards.

4. fhertlein

fhertlein Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 670 SLI
    I will try uninstalling the audio drivers, but removing the card is problematic in a WCed system.

Avatar is from Holy Diver, a Dio album.

5. andersondiaz

andersondiaz Master Guru

GPU:
    gigabyte r9 290X

Great, very thx, now I can run in 4200mhz

amazing

6. Ambush083

Ambush083 Member

GPU:
    EVGA / GTX 280 / TRI SLI
    What volts are you using? I guess I would need to water cool it, huh? I have the Vigor Monsoon III cpu cooler. It does a really good job. Also, AS-5 for thermal paste. I didn't lap it and probably won't. :eek:c:

Core i7 920 @ 3.7ghz
    Turbo Mode disabled
    Speed Step Disabled
    1.36v

7. jxa4508

jxa4508 New Member

GPU:
    1 9800GX2 1 9500GT
    Hey guys, I've got a somewhat similar problem, I think I might actually just sell the motherboard and go back to my original setup. I have RMA'd this board already and ASUS factory techs told me it was 100% working from the factory. Here is my issue:

I had a Gigabyte X58 motherboard, with a 9800GX2 and 9500GT, both installed and running at the same time. I had the 9800GX2 for Graphics rendering and the 9500GT for physX rendering. Since then I upgraded to the Rampage II Extreme. Great motherboard, lots of nice features. I installed both cards, installed windows, and for some reason in the BIOS when the machine would post, it would only post to the monitor that was hooked up to the 9500GT (I have 3 monitors). The GX2 wouldn't even appear in device manager, it was as if the motherboard had disabled the first PCI-E slot (the 9500GT is in the 2nd PCI-E slot). I unplugged the 9500GT, re-formatted with Vista and it identified my card as the 9800GX2 without a problem. Installed the latest video drivers (181.22) WHQL 64-bit and the restarted, keeping in mind I have only one monitor working from the GX2, I have one DVI cord out of the GX2 and 2 from the 9500GT. Allowing me to use SLI mode on the GX2 all the time. So back to the story, I restarted everything was fine, and then shut down. Plugged in the 9500GT, while keeping the GX2 plugged in and once again, BIOS posts only on the 9500GT card, and literally disables PCI-E slot #1 (9800GX2). Only the 9500GT appears in the device manager. I am using BIOS 1001. I also hooked up both cards with an SLI bridge and that didn't help. Does ANYONE know how I can get both cards to appear under the device manager? ASUS support doesn't even know, I've had Tier 3 tech support working on it for the last 24 hours and they are trying to replicate the situation, but don't know how to fix it....Any help is appreciated...

8. jxa4508

jxa4508 New Member

GPU:
    1 9800GX2 1 9500GT
    I FIXED IT!!! Sounds very okward, but a combination of a few things. Clear CMOS first, then I went ahead and bumped up the PCI-E voltage by a couple clicks and it turned over both cards. I don't think the PCI-E was getting enough power to both cards, not sure but Clear CMOS and then up the voltage and I have it working!!

9. cars10

cars10 Guest

GPU:
    gtx 260

how much voltage? i dont want to accidentally fry my cards here.
    and you're sure it works 100% for you now?
    i dont know if i should try it out myself. my troubles are with a GTX 260 SLI setup that isn't working. and i mean the cards actually get most of their power from the PSU.. the power from the pci-lanes is pretty low.

10. fhertlein

fhertlein Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 670 SLI
    :bang:All my cards are visible in Device Manager, Nvidia Control Panel and GPUz, so your situation may be different.

I have read over on the Asus forums, to remove the cards and install them one at a time. But change the BIOS setting under Advanced>Chipsets>NB to 16x8x8 instead of auto.

Just noticed in GPUZ, that the three cards are set for 16x8x8, which once again makes me wonder what is messing the SLI option up. :bang:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009

11. Ambush083

Ambush083 Member

GPU:
    EVGA / GTX 280 / TRI SLI
    I don't have this option when 3 cards are installed. Going to check for another BIOS update, brb....

:pc1::biggun:

12. Marri

Marri Guest

GPU:
    please let me know if any of u guys actually have a solid solution to this problem..

13. fhertlein

fhertlein Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 670 SLI
    In order to have the PCI option available, the cards need to be installed one at a time. Fantastic BIOS options.

14. Ambush083

Ambush083 Member

GPU:
    EVGA / GTX 280 / TRI SLI
    Dude, I did install one at a time.

15. Marri

Marri Guest

GPU:
    Here guys , this maybe a lead...
    Try a different OS , this guys got the Gigabyte Extreme

16. fhertlein

fhertlein Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 670 SLI
    I should have stated, that with one card installed, go into the BIOS and change the NB from Auto to 16x8x8.

As mentioned earlier, my system shows the bus working at 16x8x8, which is required for SLI, so it is obvious there is a problem with Vista and the x58s.

Perhaps I should try Windows 7 again and see if that fixes per the other poster.

17. fhertlein

fhertlein Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 670 SLI
    Well, well, well...

Windows 7 "fixed" the problem. Tri Sli up and running.

18. Marri

Marri Guest

GPU:
    Hey that's super , I'm glad you have it fixed..
    Finally after 3000+ posts , what I posted actually helped someone.. :banana:

19. cars10

cars10 Guest

GPU:
    gtx 260
    do you have to do this for 2-way SLI too?
    i tried setting it to 16x16x1x and Auto and both didn't work, but the one thing i didn't try was 16x8x8x, which I though would also be unnecessary for 2way

20. Marri

Marri Guest

GPU:
    Your board should be able to do 16x 16x , if your running two cards..
    It should be set 16x 8x 8x , only if you've got 3 GFX cards..

Last edited: May 18, 2009