one Geforce 8800GT differs from another. How does this work?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Dexptchang, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Dexptchang

Dexptchang Member

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 8800 GT
    I just got an 'Inno3D Geforce 8800GT' PCIE which I payed $320- retail for. Looking at reviews on the web, none of the other Geforce 8800Gt cards look like my one. Not even "inno 3D' ones! And now it seems I might not be able to overclock it after reading how well it performed in tests.
    Just what are the differences in these same model cards. The reviews generally specify that it's a 'Geforce 8800Gt' leave out the pretext.
    Please excuse my noobness. I'm actually a pretty nice bloke.

2. kpo6969

kpo6969 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming
  3. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    Usually from different video card companies use different types of GPU Coolers (the heat sink fan) so it will look different as well as different PCB designs.

The 8800GT/9800GT (practically the same card) already has like 3 different stock cooling, ive seen two single slot and one dual slot cooler so it can look bigger than the other etc...

Now as for the overclocking part it all depends on what program you use and such.

4. Dexptchang

Dexptchang Member

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 8800 GT
    KP,
    It didn't look like that nor did the box. It didn't have "OVERCLOCK" anywhere. My box has a Tom Clancy 'Ghost Recon 2' graphic all over it

5. barwell1992

barwell1992 Guest

GPU:
    ASUS gtx560ti on T260HD
    is it this one???

[​IMG]

6. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    Yeah when it says OC it usually means its pre-Overclocked by the manufacturer which you can do on your own. So what is your question, why doesnt it look like the OC version?

7. Dexptchang

Dexptchang Member

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 8800 GT
    duplicate - sorry

oops

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  8. Dexptchang

Dexptchang Member

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 8800 GT
    Uz7,
    My card is just a big white fan in the middle & lots of black cooling fins over the rest, except for the end w/ the bank of capicitors. There is no faring or cover plate w/ 'go fast' graphics.
    My question whatare the differences ? where does the Geoforce bit end & the inno 3D bit start. are there crap Nvidia Geoforce 8800 GT's & you Beaut ones? I feel jibbed coz I go out to buy this particular card on the basis of it's overclocking potential. I ask for that card & I get some pedestrian version that has nor ic for adjusting fan speeds, ( no fan bizzo means it's no good for overclocking yes?) there's nothing 'Arctic' or othewise w/ it's cooling config.
    And I payed $320.00 au for it which seems like $70 bucks more than the **** hot one.
    All in all, have I been mugged or what?
    Dex

9. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    Well usually the overclocking potential of the card depends on the card itself and it is different from other video cards and if you're looking for high overclocking most likely you'll have to replace the fan on it with a 3rd party cooling which is way better than stock.

I'm not really sure about prices in AU but here in the US the prices for an 8800GT/9800GT will go for around $110+ USD.

Could you take a picture of the card and upload it?

10. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    Is it this one?
    [​IMG]

If so, it looks a lot more effective than the stock cooler. Also, I would think the fan operates at 100% if it does not use the controller chip, so overclocking shouldn't be affected but it might be louder.

11. Dexptchang

Dexptchang Member

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 8800 GT
    Yup that's the one alright. I don't wanna flog the card. I'm a novice w/ respect to overclocking so I just wanna get it right for now. I downloaded Nview & Riva tuner & speedfan. Nview works it's just the fan settings are grey & there's no fan tab. Riva is the same, no fan tab & speedfan seems to work. I was up all last night reading up on it. I can still use Nvidia control panel itself to adjust core & ram. Riva also has a 'Shaders' slider & I'm guessing that's the Graphics card yers?
    Thanks Morbias & UZ7 for helping me w/ this.
    Dex

12. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    Yes, Core/Shaders/Memory are the settings that you adjust when overclocking.

13. barwell1992

barwell1992 Guest

GPU:
    ASUS gtx560ti on T260HD
    try evga presision its very easy to use and dose fan shaders,memory and core also monitors temps

14. EvaUnit02

EvaUnit02 Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX27/896MB@stock
    Some batches of 8800GT's (Inno3D and Palit especially) had broken temperature monitoring and fan control. I had a stock clocked Inno3D 8800GT that was like that.

I recommend RMA'ing it immediately, no amount of fiddling around in Rivatuner and nTune will fix it, it's a physical hardware problem.

15. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    There's no point RMAing it, because it's designed that way; you might even get charged as it isn't faulty. You can see in the picture the fan cable isn't connected to the on-board fan socket, hence no fan control.

16. barwell1992

barwell1992 Guest

GPU:
    ASUS gtx560ti on T260HD
    but then the fan wouldent work if it wasent conected to it :/

17. honestjohn

honestjohn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Hawk HD 5770 @ 1010C
    No Morbias is correct, if the temp diode is not present or not in use to regulate fan speed, then the fan would still be connected to a power source and operate at 100% fan-speed 24/7.

Dex, going by the pic Morbias posted I only found your card listed in certain areas like Finland and Asia. They refer to your cooler/heatspreader as an "Innocooler"...

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...nno3d+8800gt&start=21&ndsp=21&um=1&hl=en&sa=N

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  18. barwell1992

barwell1992 Guest

GPU:
    ASUS gtx560ti on T260HD

ahh you could all ways mod the fan end to a standard 3pin then conect it to a fan controler if the noise is an issue

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  19. Dexptchang

Dexptchang Member

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 8800 GT
    Err "RMA"it? removeit?, rheem it?, rimm it?
    I'm currently at home surrounded by bushfires in what they're saying is our worst fire day in history.
    "Finland' 'Asia'? I got this card in Lillydale, Victoria, Australia... Which is in Asia, Which,as I keep reminding my contemporaries is where we live, Not AUSTRALASIA....PINHEADS!
    Modding the plug... would there be such a fan controller on the mobo?

20. barwell1992

barwell1992 Guest

GPU:
    ASUS gtx560ti on T260HD
    no you would have to conect it to a fan controler that would go in one of the drive bay's it would be easy to do just match up the wires of and nomal fan then just rewire it in to a 3pin end u can buy 3pin extension cables so u could use the end of one of those but u would probs need to solder it.

or in stead of an expesnsif fan controler get a zalman fan mate 2 realy cheep and easy to use