Evga Geforce 260 super clocked or Radeon HD 4870 512MB

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by zee3b, Feb 4, 2009.

?

What Card Should I Get.

1. Geforce 260 super clocked.

74 vote(s)
    81.3%
  2. Radeon HD 4870 512MB

16 vote(s)
    17.6%
  3. Others

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  1. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    If you want to start a new thread discussing past video cards, by all means be my guest. I would be more than happy to prove you wrong. But I'm afraid that your taking this thread in a direction that it doesn't need to go in as it is not relevant to the topic.

By the way, did you know that if you increase your DRAM volts to 3.2v that you'll get an instant 100fps in Crysis?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  2. philheckler

philheckler Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx470 SLI
    Glad to see he got a 1gb version not the 512mb it will make a difference in future titles i'm sure - personally i never got on with my 4870 512mb - it always felt like there was something lacking with it - dx10 crysis and warhead performance really stuttered for me (1680x1050 high / gamer settings) - fallout 3 ran great until i modded it with higher res textures - unfortunately my 4870 just couldn't handle it - i put it down to the 512mb memory / 256 bit interface ...

My new 260gtx 216 runs all these with no problems at all which makes me very happy - no more dx10 performance issues (ATI driver related?). I think i'ts very difficult making a decision between two cards that have v similar performance as benchmarks don't always give the full story - in my case the gtx260 has made me much happier...

3. St3nic3

St3nic3 Active Member

GPU:
    BFG Ge 260 Maxcore (216)
    Did u know that Alt+f4 put u in godmod in every game?

P.S I am a hardware pro and u junkie.

4. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    Your a pretty horrible hardware pro if you have to ask which way the PSU should be blowing air.
    [​IMG]
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=279548

L2troll

5. euq

euq New Member

GPU:
    EVGA 9800 GT
    meh, i would go for the ati after looking at the reviews

6. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    LOL! Funniest thing I've seen in a while. Anyway, the cards are basically equal (Unless you get a superclocked 260). Just get whatever is cheaper. When it comes down to it, the at most 5 fps difference isn't really worth paying an extra 30-40 bucks for.

7. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
  8. St3nic3

St3nic3 Active Member

GPU:
    BFG Ge 260 Maxcore (216)

Oh... Did u even read the post? Its not about the regular fan, its about the down - side fan and trust me no one know where it blow the air (surely not you), and that idiotic answer on your print screen just prove that people don't know what they are talking about...
    If both fans take the air inside so there is no circulation..

Who's troll now?

Pathetic...failed kid has failed..

Stop the ATI fanboizm and read some reviews...

260 just better, than 4870 both 512 AND 1024. Period.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  9. Xionos

Xionos New Member

GPU:
    GTX260
    :heh:

10. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    First of all, the fan in the Power Supply ALWAYS draws air out of the case, not in. Secondly, if you think there was even a slight bit of fanboyism in my post, you need to read it again.

11. dipanzan

dipanzan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX460 OC 1GB
    talk about fanboizm

GTX260 isn't necessarily better than the HD4870...they r more equally challenged

games that favour nvidia will get the advantage of the 260 whereas games that dont favour nvidia...they r gonna take the advantage of the 4870

surely the 260 has physx but by no means the 4870 is a loser to the GTX260

12. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    considering ATI Drivers are about as stable as sand, I'd go with NVIDA (reason I switched)

13. St3nic3

St3nic3 Active Member

GPU:
    BFG Ge 260 Maxcore (216)
    HOLY CRAP!!!1 All of u are being so retarted about the PSU question..

[​IMG]

No one of u know the answer from your stupid heads so stfu and stop talking crap..

For the topic:

EVERY equal ATI card lost to nVidia card after a 3-6 month and after, cause of weak new coming game support and drivers.

So if today 260 and 4870 is close (although nVidia wins in more games by bench) so then in 3 month the difference shall be around 15%. THATS KNOWN issue stop ****ting about it

14. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    No one has mentioned anything about the PSU in the last 5 posts ( though I do find it funny your taking offense to it ). The HD4870 has been out for 7 months now and the GTX260 still hasn't toppled it. Seems to me your theory is out the window and your just trying to justify buying a more expensive part just because of the name stamped on the box.

15. Messerschmitt

Messerschmitt Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 7970 DCU II
    Or maybe he is so pissed that he thought a 260 is a lot more superior vs a 4870 when clearly they are about very equal, or even a bit worse in some games, while he paid 20-25% more, just to feel better about his purchase, and refusing to admit he just bought a more expensive item when there is another with the same performance for less.

16. MileHighMilitia

MileHighMilitia Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS HD4850 + TT DuOrb 700/1135
    DUDE! your argument is ridiculous, seeing that the 4870's and 4850's have already been out for approximately 7 months and still hold their own in recently released games. Now thats a KNOWN FACT, stop ****ting about it.

17. twtaylor

twtaylor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12gb
    Google Sapphire Radeon 4870 512 problems, that will be one big eye opener for you. I have one and its currently in RMA hell with them. I've never had a problem with an EVGA card, they're rock solid and come with a lifetime warranty compared with 2 years for the Sapphire. If you have your mind set on a 4870, go with Visiontek, HIS or XFX.

18. Aioras

Aioras Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti ***937;
    Another fanboy poll..... Both cards are great, really.

PD:Nvidia fanboys are wining by far.
    PD2:I´m an nvidia fanboy too ^^ +1 for GTX260

19. Risco

Risco Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 650M
    The 4870 is considerably slower when AA higher than 2X is enabled. This is not fiction, this is from someone who has come from a 4870. Not to mention the unbelievably bad drivers that are bug ridden to the hilt. For example Farcry 2 stutters, Crysis ( final level granted ) leaked up to 6GB of system ram. You cannot force AA if a game has it built in ( no enhancing ). Some games dont work at all with AA. The card is hot, loud and the fan ramps up and down in 2d.

Trust me dont bother with ATI.

20. Xionos

Xionos New Member

GPU:
    GTX260
    I'm assuming you haven't bothered to read the reviews that were posted earlier. :banana: