Gain OS performance by moving swap files?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by eslite, Feb 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eslite

eslite Member

GPU:
    8800GT 512MB
    I read from an article somewhere suggested that by moving paging files from primary drive to slave drive to increase vista's gaming performance.

I have a faster Western digital Raptor 74GB 10000rpm where my OS is installed and a slower IBM 60GB 7200rpm.
    Should I create paging files on my old IBM drive? But how?

Any suggestions?

2. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    I did read this somewhere too I think it was on tweakguides.com in the Tweak Guides Tweaking Companion for Vista. Its did say that using a second HDD or a different partition should increase performance. But I'm not sure if it works. I would like to know my self. I install all my games on a different partition on my 1TB Samsung Spinpoint drive anyway so I'm also not sure if it would help me.

3. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I believe the point here is to avoid fragmentation of the page file. I doubt you'll see a huge performance increase anyway.

4. MrN

MrN Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 8800GT
    Link?

5. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Actually the reason is that a PC can read from 2 Hard drives faster than it can read from one.
    This applies to XP as well, not just Vista.

When the PF is on the same drive as your OS, the read/write heads have to move back and forth between the PF and whatever application you happen to be running at the time.

By moving the PF to a separate drive, NOT a separate partition, the OS can read from the application and access the PF at the same time.

1 HDD = PF on same partition
    2 HDD = PF on separate drive.

XP w/2GB or more RAM = PF disabled.
    My PC = PF disabled.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  6. Palerider

Palerider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS X1950XTX
    What are the pros and cons of disabling your page file?

7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    No PF = no HDD access = less CPU/GPU waiting time. Less wear & tear on your hard drive.

The CPU/GPU doesn't have to wait for the PF to be accessed because the info it needs is already sitting in physical RAM.

In a nutshell - better performance in gaming lol, less lag, no stutter, more responsive desktop...

I know there will be somebody out there who will try and prove me wrong though, so I suggest you try it yourself and see if you can tell the difference...:)

8. vindassius

vindassius Guest

GPU:
    8800GTX
    hints on how to turn off page file :D

9. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Only do this if you never use more than the amount of ram installed in your rig, or you'll get CTD.

My Computer >>>> Properties >>> Advanced >>>> Performance >>>> Settings >>>> Advanced >>>>Change >>>> No Paging File.

10. Deathspank

Deathspank Guest

GPU:
    Gainward GTX570 1280mb
    just use ready boost, it doesnt put the entire page file on the usb stick but put stuff it want to access fast and often. so it benifits gaming.

but im using V/sp2 beta so it may have improved ready boost features. one things for sure ready boost does improve gaming.

11. Iarwain

Iarwain Banned

GPU:
    4890 990//1120
    Readyboost is definitely helpful, I even run it.

Disabling the page file doesn't help at all, it's placebo effect.

Yes you can gain performance by moving the page file. For instance, in the Vista experience index (Best bench ever amirite) I usually scored a 5.2 with my harddrive. After moving the page file to another hard drive, viola, 5.9

12. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Have you got something to back that up with?

It's not a placebo effect - even less so if your drive is fragmented.

Which is what I said in my first post.
    And what does your HDD score have to do with your PF...??

I think you misunderstand what a paging file is used for.

13. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    If your RAM is getting used to the extent you have to start paging IN-GAME, then you probably don't have enough RAM.

Personally I don't have any games other than maybe company of heroes that has used more than 2GB all to itself.

14. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Amen to that....

15. eslite

eslite Member

GPU:
    8800GT 512MB
    So should I disable paging files or moving it to another drive?
    Can someone tell me how to move the paging files?

16. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Microsoft recommends not disabling the page file and I've seen animatrix link several sites in the past where it's explained why it's not a good thing.

17. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    Right i say move it, i would never suggest to disable it.

Edit: Just so it's clear. The link is a page file guide, it will show you how to move it and where it's best located (i.e. outer tracks and on a separate hard disk from the OS).
    http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=143

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  18. eslite

eslite Member

GPU:
    8800GT 512MB
    Thanks, I'll try moving it to see the difference.

I think all dx10 games are using up more than 2GB ram, but my OS is 32 bit.:(

19. Iarwain

Iarwain Banned

GPU:
    4890 990//1120
    Just google disable page file and see how many genuine sources you get, not gaming forums, that say it's a good idea. Even Microsoft says you shouldn't, and Vista will recreate the page file anyway when it needs it.

If you really want to speed up the page file thing, get an extra 2-4GB of memory and create a RAMdisk and put your page file there.

As for how my score increased without the page file, I would think that's pretty obvious. Windows accesses the page file less during the test, the hard drive can focus entirely on the test, the score increases.

20. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    That's nonsense.
    Your OS will still use the same amount of memory regardless.
    What's more you're referring specifically to hard drive performance which is irrelevant.
    And if it's a bad thing can you tell me why I don't have any trouble with my computer - even though I haven't used a PF in about 3 years?

Do you even know the reasoning behind a PF or in fact how outdated it is?
    If you did we probably wouldn't be having this debate, but you can find out on google, you should prob have a read.

But I'll tell you how old it is -Windows 3.1. That's how old. Did you also know that the 1.5x the amount of installed ram rule has never been changed since it was implemented?
    When was 3.1 released you ask? Well off the top of my head I it was around 1992 give or take.

So you're looking at a rule that was implemented 17 years ago. That is a very long time - almost an eternity when it comes to Information Technology - would you not agree?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.