How many people are for or against Weed?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Jonnyboy, Jan 28, 2009.

?

Should Weed be Legal?

1. Yes

60.1%
  2. No

30.1%
  3. Maybe

11.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    That's different. This is a discussion about the legality of weed, just like we allow discussions about piracy. That doesn't mean we'll allow threads about your favourite weed (we won't), or your favourite bittorrent tracker. It's a grey zone subject and we'll judge each thread individually. You can judge alcohol all you want, but the fact is that it's legal in almost every single western country in the world, weed is not. The fact that it's the Pub doesn't mean we'll just allow anything. Threads like these are very prone to problems, just like political discussions which we're pretty much closing on sight these days. If you don't agree there's hundreds of forums out there that are dedicated to these subjects and where you can discuss until your face turns blue. If it was up to me the Pub would be removed completely as it stands. It's the source of atleast 80% of all the problems on this forum, and the joy:problems ratio doesn't make up for it.

2. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    How many fatal accidents have you heard of involving strictly marijuana? How about bar fights or street fights? Now apply the same questions to alcohol. Seems your view on what marijuana does to the user is a bit skewed.

And I get a kick out of the "i find it crazy they may legalize a drug" statement. You seem to forget that alcohol is a drug too, a much more dangerous one that not only acts as a narcotic, but has a tendency of making people belligerent.

I personally don't care for marijuana. But I don't have a problem with it either. The common mentality of marijuana being "bad" seems to be unjustified, something that someone gathers from their parents or the media without real justification into the standing of it. Not only that, but there are far worse substances out there that aren't illegal and yet people don't seem to care.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  3. _NeO_

_NeO_ Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4070 x3 OC
    If it is nothing else just weed and your are not smoking it every day why not :D but there are people ho smokes it every day and then goes for something more well...

4. Postalisback

Postalisback Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 TwinFrozr 2GB
    I have personally witnessed the effects Cannabis can have on a person, a member of my family has been taking it since he was young (he's older than me btw), I have witnessed how paranoid he gets and also I have seen the effects mixing alcohol and weed have had on him (violent towards me and other members of my family, periods of seemingly uncontrolled aggression/anxiety/paranoia and sadness).

For this reason, I would rather it not be legalised AGAIN, as the more people that are effected in this way that are out on the streets can surely not be a good thing.

5. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    Here's another way to position this debate.

Here in America, there are over 500,000 unemployed citizens. The unemployment rate is literally higher than it ever has been in the 22 years I've been alive. Majority of the jobs out there require a drug screen. If you smoked weed in the last month you won't get the job because you failed the screen.

What if they screened you for alcohol, if you drank a bottle of beer or a glass of whiskey in the last month you don't get the job? Does that seem fair to those of you out there that are against marijuana but enjoy sitting down at night, drinking a glass before you go to bed? Our economy is suffering because of the snowball effect from this rate of unemployment, and singling out pot smokers isn't helping.

On the same token, I've worked with people that smoke marijuana. They're good people and most of them work hard. Quite a few of them do better than I do here at Apple and were given the benefit of moving up the customer relations ladder before I was, and the crew I'm working with started here in October of 08.

Just like with smoking cigarettes and drinking alcohol, there's a time and place for it. Work is not the place to be doing those things. It's meant for recreational time and free time. If marijuana were legalized, I'm inclined to say that just like with alcohol, you wouldn't see a whole lot of people out on the streets smoking it in the open.

Not only that but if you buy or sell marijuana and get arrested by the police, chances are that you'll end up with a criminal or felony record. That in its self will also hinder one's chances to grow, because they made the choice to do something that they enjoy doing that doesn't even impose on others, especially when done responsibly. Yes, you hear more about people coming in to work stoned than drunk or even smoking a cigarette, but that's because of the gossip value, going back to one of my earlier posts in this thread in regards to drama.

In places that allow marijuana to be smoked in recreational or personal time, like the Netherlands, you don't see all these issues. Why? Because people accept marijuana for what it is. It's a relaxant, nothing more nothing less.

In some people's eyes, marijuana is an "evil" of sorts. But on the other hand, there are people in the world that feel that alcohol is an "evil" even though it's legalized. I can't change anyone's views here on marijuana or alcohol. But what I can do, and what I encourage, is for people to sit back and truly decide which is the lesser of the two "evils".

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  6. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    The thing that annoys me most is that we legalize alcohol but not weed. We can debate on the effects for hours and hours, but that doesn't change the fact that this hypocrism is still there.

I don't really care if weed is legalized or not, you'll always be able to get it, but the so called "reasons" why weed isn't legal apply just as well for alcohol. If u legalize alcohol, then legalize weed, if u forbid the use of weed, then forbid the use of alcohol.

7. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    I totally agree with you. Why is alcohol, and cigerettes legal when they are just as addictive as weed.

And yes weed is only good to just chillout and have a laugh with mates. It dont make you want to harm anyone, it dont make you want to go out and cause trouble. And they just raised it to a Class B drug... its silly.

8. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb

I think your misunderstanding me, im not saying threads about pot and its consumption because thats clearly a No no, plus as you said there are plenty of places one can find on the net dedicated so such things.

What im saying is that threads regarding the legality of the substance are quite common because it is quite the legislative nightmare, I dont think anyone in this thread is talking about bongs, vapourisers, quality and whatever other kind of consumption related stuff.

Also I understand that the pub must be the greatest source of problems but there are good times too like when Damien posts or the general makes an appearance.

Plus lately the pub has been quite relaxed, there was that soul public bye bye but otherwise its been fun lately.

Meh im sure there are many a problems the mods solve in the background but the regular posters here are gangster.

9. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Then we agree. If I didn't think this thread was within what we can allow it would have been closed a long time ago. No, I was referring to the constant attempts to pull the string a little further. There was one user in particular who flooded the rig gallery with his weed plantation pictures, and you've no idea how angry he got when I removed them time and time again. In every thread he could possibly post pictures in, he snuck some plants in like it was his god given right. It's that constant fixation that annoys me. What's the point of trying to bend our rules all the time? Everyone knows this is a grey zone subject (how much you may disagree with that fact doesn't matter) and thus you should all try to keep it within what we can allow. No, we don't have any written rules on this, but it doesn't take more than a little bit of common sense to determine what's ok and what's not.

This thread is ok though, and I have to say I'm impressed how civilized it's been so far. However, I'm just waiting for someone to overstep that fine line...

10. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    Very good post, and it sums up my feelings perfectly. Pot is illegal? Fine, it won't stop anyone smoking it anyway, but at least give some valid reasons that don't reek of hypocrisy.

I don't think anyone would disagree with you here. I had a friend who became far too fixated on weed when we were younger. He eventually became the typical drop out, floating from job to job, stealing, trying harder drugs etc. Things is, he is the only one I knew that seems to have actually gone down hill since smoking weed. It was heartbreaking, because he is/was (I haven't seen him in ages) a very close friend, and he was very intelligent before he smoked weed.

However, I hesitate to blame it on the weed (or at least on only the weed), as he was always getting in trouble and generally being a slacker long before the weed. It seems likely to me that weed might have just been a tipping point for an already destructive personalitiy. Ah well, what can you do? Some people are just determined to ruin their lives, it would seem.

I am also fairly impressed with the civility (is that a word?) of the thread so far. But, as they say, "There's always one..."

11. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    [​IMG]

What is the different types of hasch out there? We all know that it's called the bionic, the bomb, the puff, the blow, the black, the herb, the sensie, the cronic, the sweet Mary Jane, the ****, Ganja, split, reefa, the bad, the buddha, the home grown, the ill, the maui-maui, the method, pot, lethal turbo, tie, shake, skunk, stress, whacky, weed, glaze, the boot, dimebag, Scooby Doo, bob, bogey, back yard boogie. But what is the other terms for it?

12. Doomster

Doomster Master Guru

GPU:
    SapphireHD3850/AcerX263w
    Please just stick to the thread topic and give us your opinion on the use or not. Simple

13. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    and how many in accidents get drug tested?

but obviusly you dont read the news too much so since you ask
    http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/news/20051201/marijuana-raises-risk-of-fatal-car-crash

http://alcoholism.about.com/od/pot/a/pot_driving.htm

just search for this in google (accidents result from marijuana) and look at the hundreds of sites that provide more proof than you have provided

14. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090TUF
    "

15. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition

16. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34

:thumbup:

I agree with what's been said here.. and Im of the same mind as well. i do beleive it should be legalized, because honestly I think the money raised from taxation with be very useful.. specially if it is put into the right areas. You could take that money and put it towards things like social housing, drug overdose centers and recovery clinics.. lots of possibilities!
    However does it matter at all if it gets legalized? To me personally no.. people will always be able to get it, and whether you're someone who believes it or wants to admit it or not, many more people out there do it than one would think, and these people are not deadbeats, not lazy or unproductive, and not crazy or anything like that. They contribute to society just like everyone else.

But again there are people who quite obviously fear things that they don't understand and they tend to make accusations that are based off of misinformation and hearsay. Just a shame because they are missing out! At least have enough of an open mind to try it and then make an educated decision. Seems that its too much to ask for some people out there :/ oh well.. the least that these people can do though is refrain from placing weed in the same category as harder drugs because in that context its just laughable to think that weed is on par with more serious narcotics.
    I don't even get upset when I hear it anymore I just laugh and laugh and laugh.. what else can you do?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  17. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Completely possible that this happened because they were high.. not saying that it couldn't.. but could we not agree that this could happen just as easily by someone crossing the street talking on a cell phone? Listening to their ipod using noise cancelling earbuds? What if the driver was adjusting the radio and didn't see the person walking until too late? There are a million variables here and to even begin to assume that it could be due to them being high alone is a bit of a stretch.. I doubt that would stand up in a court thats for sure..

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  18. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    like i said, we can assume alot of possibilities, but you can do that with anything in life right? the fact is they were not sober. supposedly the boy that died had quite a bit of THC in his system, alluding that he smoked often.

i didnt see it, but was nearby when it happened, the one guy did admit to the cops he misjudged the speed and distance before they all crossed, so can be assumed they all did...what causes lack of judgement? but on the same token, people do in fact get hit by cars while sober and be at fault.

the part that would stand up in courts is the fact they would not beable to pass a drug test, your automatically at fault if your in an accident while under the influence of a controlled substance.

19. scipio

scipio Guest

GPU:
    Evga 1080 gaming
    seriously, who cares about this thread anymore?

20. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    Ali G does