Asus Rampage Extreme II x58 SLI Issues

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Ambush083, Jan 19, 2009.

1. GregM

GregM Member Guru

GPU:
    ES BBA HD4870 512mb
    Only if they speak German...

2. fhertlein

fhertlein Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 670 SLI
    All three of my GTX280s show up in device manager, GPUz and control panel System information. All three show proper details, etc.

Tri-sli was enabled once, after reboot, nada. I have the 1200 Tuniq PSU.

3. IversGarn

IversGarn New Member

GPU:
    ASUS GTX280 SLI
    I do not have any problems that you guys mentioned at all.....SLI works for me so far on BIOS 0903 and 1001 and all my 3 PCI-E x16 slots are populated by my GTX280 in slot 1 and 2 and my X-Fi Ti card in my 3rd slot.
    Make sure to configure the PCI-E lanes in the BIOS Setup to be x16-x8-x8 for 3way-SLI users. Mine is set to x16-x16-x1 because I'm only using SLI. Just don't leave it at auto. Tried forceware 181.20 and 181.22 so far.

This is my latest Vantage run to prove it.
    [​IMG]

4. Ambush083

Ambush083 Member

GPU:
    EVGA / GTX 280 / TRI SLI
    My update

After all this heartache I've come to this conclusion:

1) 3 Way SLI on this Motherboard works, but only if you install one at a time.
    2) Touching the BIOS in anyway will make the SLI option in Nvidia Control Panel disappear
    3) PCI-E Lanes are not editable in this Motherboard with TRI-SLI

I guess, since I like tweaking my BIOS regularly I can't if I want TRI-SLI to work effectivley. I didn't get to try a new POWER SUPPLY, unfortuanetly. In the bios it has more than 12v for the 12v rail. A little bit more, I supposed. That's what is needed so I'm almost certian its not that. I think I'll call ASUS soon. Oh, also note I've reinstalled Vista. Same problem.

5. fhertlein

fhertlein Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 670 SLI
    Did you remove the cards or just the power to the cards? Since my system is watercooled, putting a card in at a time, is too much of a pain.

6. Ambush083

Ambush083 Member

GPU:
    EVGA / GTX 280 / TRI SLI
    I tried both. But good reply! I was wondering how it would install properly with water cooling, thanks. I was like OMG, how am I going to W/C them with this issue.

7. cars10

cars10 Guest

GPU:
    gtx 260
    This is exactly the problem I have :(

edit: except im aiming for SLI with 260s, not tri sli with 280s

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  8. fhertlein

fhertlein Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 670 SLI
    I have even tried just using the regular SLI ribbon cable and this does not provide the dual SLI option.

I just keep thinking there is a BIOS/driver conflict with the x58 boards. Some people get theirs to work and other people are like us.

9. Ambush083

Ambush083 Member

GPU:
    EVGA / GTX 280 / TRI SLI
    I think its secretly something up with the video cards....I don't know. Will find out when I do EVGA's step up to the GTX 285's. Hopefully, at the end of being able to step up, like in the last 2 weeks the prices will drop some. Not much of a price difference for me to pay.

10. Marri

Marri Guest

GPU:
    great , i had a horrible experience with the XFX X58 board first , I find u guys having trouble with the Rampage 2...insane..
    I just ordered the Asus Rampage II a week ago and I have 3 cards..!

11. Ambush083

Ambush083 Member

GPU:
    EVGA / GTX 280 / TRI SLI
    It will probably work for you, don't worry mate. Oh I'm not Aussie or English I just like saying mate! :banana:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  12. cars10

cars10 Guest

GPU:
    gtx 260
    i wouldn't guarantee that

gosh i hat new platforms :( never again am i buying release hardware

13. Infiniti3D

Infiniti3D Master Guru

GPU:
    8800 Ultra H²0
    I feel the frustration you guys facing today, i put my limited knowledge in this thread. First, please stop removing and reseating your GFX card. You may endup with a broken PCI slot or GFX card. To configure SLI you need to put all cards in, mount the SLI-bridge, turn on the PSU and start the system. Now you install the device drivers. So make sure you do this on a driversweeped system, or even a clean VISTA!!! install.
    If the driver installation is complete you restart, after that you go into CP and turn on SLI or 3-way SLI. Please make sure the bios is at default clocks during the proces, and all powersaving features are disabled, PCI-E frequency set to 100mhz (not auto). When done this right SLI or 3-way SLI should work perfectly and it should never turned off by it self, even when entering the BIOS or restarting the system it should stay turned on.
    If the above order doesn't work or give you any problems you could try to flash the bios and/or boot with only one stick off RAM and see how it go's. I hope a solution is availeble soon! Please let us know how it go's and dont pull cards all the time:)

14. fhertlein

fhertlein Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 670 SLI
    Infiniti, I have done all those things historically and on this build, and SLI does not work for everyone on the x58s.

I have read about the chipset drivers being problematic and different people trying tricks, but there are quite a few posts about SLI not being available with two or three cards.

15. Ambush083

Ambush083 Member

GPU:
    EVGA / GTX 280 / TRI SLI
    Maybe I could try disabling the power saving features. Then again, I used my default bios settings before.

16. Ambush083

Ambush083 Member

GPU:
    EVGA / GTX 280 / TRI SLI
    PAPER CLIP TRICK! DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME FOLKS.

Paper Clip Trick Tutorial

Well, I'm going to try this to help further troubleshooting. I got a 700W power supply handy. I will let you know what happens.

17. cars10

cars10 Guest

GPU:
    gtx 260
    stupid paper clip trick doesn't work for me. tried it on 2 different power supplies even with electrical copper wire instead of a clip.

18. Ambush083

Ambush083 Member

GPU:
    EVGA / GTX 280 / TRI SLI
    It worked, it just didn't stay on. No go. My overclock and drivers are stable. Its just anytime I tweak the bios after the fact. I'm content right now. Once I do the step up, that should isolate it to still the power supply and motherboard.

19. fhertlein

fhertlein Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 670 SLI
    I was just installing the 185.20 drivers again for poops and giggles, when my system locked up and the speakers squealed like a pig being slaughtered and locked up.

After my wife and kids stopped screaming, and wiped the blood from their ear drums, I tried the 185 install again with success. Before the install finished for the reboot, the OS had a ballon tip that said the display device had changed the configuration. Upon clicking the ballon tip, it launched the NV panel, and the SLI option was available.

After the mandatory restart, of course SLI is not there, and the system is back to the original three cards, etc.

So....

I have a Fatality X-fi, and Hi def audio enabled in the BIOS, which has me thinking... could it be the X-fi or hi def audio?

I have not tinkered with the Creative drivers or HD audio in the BIOS, but wondered if any of you folks have.

20. andersondiaz

andersondiaz Master Guru

GPU:
    gigabyte r9 290X
    man amazing overclock, I cant pass my i7 top is 4000mhz lower vcore, how you make 21 Multipler????