Q9550 overheating?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by slayer2005, Jan 29, 2009.

1. p3ps1c0la

p3ps1c0la Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix 480 8gb
    Mine idles @ 25c but I'm on air. :supercool

2. fenixrisingxl

fenixrisingxl Member

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce GTX260 216
    Didn't want to dredge up an old post, but I didn't want to create a new one, either.
    Yesterday, I put together a new PC with a Q9550, and Intel's stock fan.
    I'm sure I set the fan on correctly, as all pegs were through the motherboard.

At idle, using CoreTemp, I find my first core is at 50-53c, while the others idle at 38-42c. My question is is it normal for the first core to constantly be about 10-11c hotter than the others? I doubt it, but figured someone here would know for sure.

Anyone out there running a Q9550 with the stock fan seeing anything like this, or am I screwed?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you for your time.

3. slayer2005

slayer2005 Active Member

GPU:
    XFX GTX 260
    my q9550 cores idle at 35/38...but my 1st core idles at 40-42 because its being used by single core programs (which are many, correct me if im wrong)

4. Im2bad

Im2bad Guest

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    I believe the OS uses the first and second core the most, so they're always more hotter than the third and fourth. It's like that for me too.

5. fenixrisingxl

fenixrisingxl Member

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce GTX260 216
    Thanks for the info, all.
    I'll probably throw an aftermarket cooler on the chip in the next week or so, though.
    Thanks again.

6. slayer2005

slayer2005 Active Member

GPU:
    XFX GTX 260
    Get that small water cooler for the proccesor (only for the proccesor :3)

7. fenixrisingxl

fenixrisingxl Member

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce GTX260 216
    I'm not exactly the sharpest tool in the shed.
    Which one were you referring to, may I ask?

8. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    I'm using a CoolIT Domino A.L.C.S. It's about $90. Here's my temps running Prime95 AND Intel burn test at the same time OC'ed to 4.05ghz. Might be hard to read, but the Temps peak @ 65C and that is using the silent performance mode:

[​IMG]

Here's what it looks like in my case an Antec 900:

[​IMG]

Here's a close up look:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  9. Carbon

Carbon Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 260 C216 H2O
    The temperature spread there is a bit high, so a new HSF probably isn't the culprit, but a new one will most likely fix the problem. And it's a prime idea anyway :). Usually a spread like that is due to poorly applied thermal compound. You might want to do some lapping, too.

A new HSF should fix that because you'll be putting it on properly, and you'll get better temperatures too. Enjoy!

10. fenixrisingxl

fenixrisingxl Member

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce GTX260 216
    Yeah, that stock Intel fan seems to be crap. Of course it came with three thin strips of thermal paste on the bottom of the hsf, which I should've known wouldn't be enough to cool the entire chip. I listened to my friend, however, who said I should be fine with the stock equipment. Like I said, in the next week or two, I'll purchase a much better solution.

Anyone out there use this item with their Intel chip?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134
    Seems to be popular, while maintaining a high enough review rating. I'm just concerned with how hard it'll be to both remove the current Intel HSF, and replace it with this one.

Heavy, that is one crazy-looking cooling solution, reserved for astrophysicists, and such.

BTW, anyone know which option in the BIOS I'm supposed to disable to have my chip run the advertised 2.8Ghz constantly, instead of the default downclocking (1.99Ghz) the motherboard does until it thinks it needs to up the frequency?
    I'm not sure if it's hurting performance or not, but I'd really like this bad boy to run like the beast it should be (coming from an AMD 6400+).

Any assistance would greatly appreciated.
    Thanks for all of the thoughts and advice provided so far, all.

11. Carbon

Carbon Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 260 C216 H2O
    It's not the stock HSF that's causing you problems, not directly, it's probably the thermal compound; it just wasn't applied right. Use rubbing alcohol to take off the paste on your processor, then check with the paste's manufacturer on how to apply your next dosage. The new HSF will already have some strips on the bottom, so you don't need to worry about that. It's just how you apply the paste on your end that matters now.

I don't know the board you're using, but there will be one or two power savings options in your BIOS. You might need to check your manual or the manufacturers forums to find out what option it is, but turn that off.

If you're looking for the real water users take a browse through this thread. There's a lot of ugly setups, but there are some genuinely beautiful ones too :).

12. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    I dont think I would use this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835186134 just because it uses the 4 snap pins just like the stock fan does. Yeah, you dont have to take your motherboard out again, but, the backplate they give you gives a bigass heatsink more stability so it doesnt fall off when you move your pc around. Plus in some strage way it might be able to snap your mobo =D, FUN!! try this, maybe put a new fan in it if you feel like it! http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186028

13. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Actually it's about $90 and takes about 30 minutes (really no harder than any other cooler with a backplate) to install and is one of the best for the price. How hard can one fan connection and a backplate be?

14. slayer2005

slayer2005 Active Member

GPU:
    XFX GTX 260
    i REALLY want to order that, any stores selling it internationally :(? it would be great if someone can point me in the right direction.

15. firas

firas Member

GPU:
    GTX 285 SSC Edition
    I’m sure you can find stores that sells top-end hardware parts in Dubai where you can find some decent CPU air cooler

anyway as I noticed now …. you can find most of CoolIT products at ebay, you can subscribe with ARAMEX ship&shop service which will automatically ship to you anything you buy online specially from ebay, they will open a U.S & U.K P.O box addresses for you for just about 20$ (permanently)

btw, you can’t use ship&shop with some sties (like newegg) cuz they doesn’t accept different billing and shipping address, the billing would be your credit card normal billing address (your address in Dubai) but the shipping will be a U.S/U.K P.O box address provided by Aramex

check this: http://www.megamers.com/forums/general-hardware/43057-silverstone-dealers-dubai.html

16. slayer2005

slayer2005 Active Member

GPU:
    XFX GTX 260
    i can order from ebay just fine :), no need for aramex.

i totally forgot people sell coolers on ebay ~_~

17. firas

firas Member

GPU:
    GTX 285 SSC Edition
    then good luck :)

18. slayer2005

slayer2005 Active Member

GPU:
    XFX GTX 260
    GEH!!! 120$ with shipping...looks like ive got some saving to do =()

19. nehir

nehir Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga Geforce GTX 295
    how :bang:

20. kRze

kRze Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 280 SSC|24" Dell
    Yea sounds like some BS, show some pictures with proof.

Sorry to be offtopic.