Travelling to America

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Kirkyl, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Kirkyl

Kirkyl Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 Strix OC
    Ok for a while I’ve been thinking about where i want to travel since it’s been a very long time since I’ve been abroad and me and my brother have decided to travel America, mainly because both of us have wanted to go to the states as long as we remembered.

The plan is to visit a few key cities such as New York (our first place to visit), Boston, Chicago, San Francisco and LA etc and after that find some place to stay and find some work (Bar work etc anything to keep us going) for a few months.

Hell I’m not even sure if I’ll want to come back to Britain if i like it so much but that something else entirely plus green cards are needed but we'll figure that out at some point.

Myself and my brother have about £20:000 between us (obviously we won't be carrying that amount of money on us) so we should be good if we stick to Hostels and on odd occasions a motel every now and again.

We won't be using briefcases because of the insane amount of travelling we have ahead but we'll be taking travel backpacks with a decent amount of clothing and at least a pair or two of traveling boots etc plus all the other essential items.

Anyway my main point about this is to ask about what to expect, chances are anything can happen but I’m curious to know if any other UK/European Guru's have had any experience travelling the states or at least spending a few weeks/months there.

Any other places i can visit that i've missed out?

Just looking for some pointers if i missed anything etc.:)

2. Eat The Rich

Eat The Rich Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GTX OC2 626/2000
    Hey...

Firstly I'd say you'd be better posting on a forum such as Travellers Point or GapYear - there are so many people on there who can offer good advice. I'd be wary about thinking you can get work that easily. If you're keeping it by the book then it's a lot harder to get a working VISA for the US than for places like Australia etc.

When I've travelled around the US a little I just used greyhound buses (cheap and cramped) and stayed in hostels. It wasn't that expensive but with the current sh*t state of the £ you're not getting the greatest deal. I spent a lot of time in NYC and New Jersey (with a friend) - they're both amazing places. I've also spent some time in Oregon, Ohio and Pennsylvania - I loved them all.

I'm working at a camp in the US this summer teaching mountain biking then going travelling the world on my own (Thailand, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji then LA) - I can't wait.

Good luck with everything, it'll be an amazing trip! :)

3. Kirkyl

Kirkyl Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 Strix OC
    Thanks man much appreciated,hope it works out for you when you go travelling again.:)

4. Rochin

Rochin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX460 EE 1GB
    Enjoy your visit, be warned our airlines charge fees per bag now. So when you are flying between cities you will be charged per bag. I think a carry on is still free. Most also charge for snacks and drinks now. I hope you have a good visit. When in SanFran pier 49 used to be a cool place to go, lots of shops, food etc. I have not been there for 15 years, so it could have changed.

5. Kirkyl

Kirkyl Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 Strix OC
    Yeah like i said i'm only going to take a big backpack with as suitcases are going to be difficult to to keep lugging around all the time since i'll only be staying on one spot for no more than 3-4 days etc.

6. FNK

FNK Guest

GPU:
    XFX GTR 480 XXX
    Visit around Miami beach, Fortlauderdale!
    Im not an American, but when i'll retire at 60ish ill buy a condo there!

The great Canyon is a wonder of the world, i plan to go there this summer.

7. Rochin

Rochin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX460 EE 1GB
    Sounds good. Smart way to travel. Oh and if your up for it, you can visit the Bunny Ranch in Nevada :) I have never been there, looks like it could be fun.

8. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    May I ask why you moved to Texas from SF?

9. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    I would seriously love to travel the world. But at this present time, money is a massive issue. I am saving up at the moment for a holiday, ain't been abroad for a a long time. Plus I could do with getting away, as Ive had some bad luck recently (death in the family). But when I save up enough I am defiantly going to travel around the world. Though America is one of those countries that just intrigues me for some reason I don't know why. I suppose due to the fact that most states are completely different from one another. Ive been to Florida, then the next year I went to NYC... and it was like a whole other country.

10. Kirkyl

Kirkyl Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 Strix OC
    Thats exactly why i'm going,its like several countries all in one continent at least that what i keep hearing.

11. scipio

scipio Guest

GPU:
    Evga 1080 gaming
    You'll love the California coastline when travelling between SF and LA

12. Sota

Sota Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G
    Yeah, Miami should be high on list...granted you don't mind excessive heat and humidity....though according to your travel path it would be out of the way. On your path, Denver would be a cool place as well in the Rocky Mountains.

San Diego would be good too while you are in Southern California....though California may not be the best place atm to move to 'permanently' since they are an economic dire straits atm.

/The official term is Grand Canyon btw

13. Rochin

Rochin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX460 EE 1GB
    I did no live in SF, I lived around(45 minutes away) the Sacramento area. I got tired of all the people, and all of the places to do things where I lived were closing down(Arcades, video stores, etc) I had also taken a trip to Texas and while there met my future wife. Came back put my 2 weeks in and moved to Texas. Moved in with her, got married 6 months later, will be married 12 years in July. So long story shot, Cali kind of blows, I got the hell out before the ship sank. Oh and the power outages in the summer kind of suck.

14. maikai

maikai Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070
    for the big citys the ones youve mentioned should suffice, while in sf i recommend going to china town. and santa monica pier is nice as well. its in a few video games so you may recogonise it. grand canyon is awesome as well. of course you cant visit the states without going to vegas, it just wouldnt be proper. could even take a trip to hoover dam. id also recommend oregon/washington very green, also no sales tax in oregon (if it cost $1.99 thats what you pay). crater lake and mt hood in oregon are both awesome. idaho/wyoming have yellowstone which imo is the best national park in the states, loads to do and lots of wild life. utah is great for skiing/snowboarding (park city). colorado also good for winter sports. mt rushmore in south dakota. oh and also in arizona ( could always visit tombstone), nevada, wyoming ect are indian reservations, very interesting and loads of stuff you cant buy in the states legally except on the reservations. i used to live in the carolinas and id say myrtle beach is a rather friendly place and not as crowded as beaches you might find in florida and you probably wont get eaten by a shark either :p. you could always visit some military bases, fort bragg in north carolina is home to the 82nd airborne and special forces. both virginias are very beautiful states. and again as mentioned good luck finding work, dont plan on anything too terrific as the economy is absolute **** atm. have fun and travel safe, just as in every country there are people who will want to **** you up just because youre not from here, so avoid redneck areas and ghettos especially

Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  15. Kirkyl

Kirkyl Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 Strix OC
    Yeah i have no intention to go to the southern states,not because of the red neck thing (no offense to anyone) but because i don't really feel like going there apart from Texas.

As for work yeah i know the economy is a mess,its just as bad over here so i doubt my luck will be any different,any work that keeps me preocupied will do me fine etc.

My first city i'm going to is NY for a few days so i can't wait to start the trip from there.:)

16. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    HIS HD4870/Samsung2343BWX
    Well; it's about time someone mentioned it, for the geologically challenged - The US is in "North America" - Canada is in "North America". Ergo, Canadians could also call themselves Americans if they chose to. The point is that NA is not the exclusive property of the US. North Americans include Canadians. :bigsmile:

17. proFits

proFits Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    And mexicans !

There was this fashion around two years ago that was started to call Americans ''United-Staters'', but never stuck around for obvious reasons

18. Norvekh

Norvekh Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    Someone enjoying their visit to Ohio? How much in the way of illicit substances did that take to accomplish? Nah, Ohio isn't that bad but it's, climatically, it's just not all that much to write home about. Hot, humid summers and cold, wet/icy winters. What Ohio has going for it isn't the big cities. No, Cincinnati, Columbus, Dayton, and Cleveland are all pretty bad when it comes to crime and aren't even particularly pretty to offset that either. What is going for Ohio, and much of the midwest, are the small towns. If you want to see the midwestern culture, and really culture of any area, you need to get out of the big cities and visit some small towns. There you'll find some of the best food, nicest people, and if you like the outdoors the best places to roam around the vast American landscape. The area around Dayton is great for that. Miles upon miles of bike paths, hiking trails, and riverways to go kayaking or swimming.

So, don't limit yourself to big cities. Don't be afraid to get out there and lost a little in the small towns. And most of all, go out and see the natural side of this country. It's one of the resources we have here that is shrinking away everywhere and there is just so much beauty out there that it would be a real shame to miss it.

All of that said though, you'll definitely want to visit Seattle. It's the tech center of the Pacific Northwest and is beautiful as well. Gigantic pine trees that can stretch far above your head. Beautiful ocean-side bluffs overlooking the massive and dark Pacific Ocean. If you have a chance, take a whale watching boat tour in the San Juan Islands. You'll quite likely see some Orca whales, killer whales as they are called. Just keep in mind sales tax in Washington is high (averages about 8.5% compared to Dayton area as 6.5-7.5%) but there is no state income tax unlike Ohio which has a very high state income tax, a definite factor if you are looking for jobs.

The long and the short of it: Get outside, don't be afraid to go (far) outside of the big cities, and take in the natural sites as well. Every state is different and after being to about 30 of them I've found beauty (and good food!) in all of them.

19. Kirkyl

Kirkyl Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 Strix OC
    Well my plan is to see the big cities first,after that i do intend to see the small towns.:)

20. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino

GPU:
    old
    Yes, yes you can. All the worst parts of Vegas (and the best Thai resturant in the country) all in one ****ty valley.

Do you have a work visa? Because you can't work on a tourist visa. Well, you *can* but it is under the table and is **** work (picking fruit, construction). Even that is going down because of the current economic prices, legal workers are willing to do more for less.