Guru3D + Youtube, would you watch it?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by proFits, Jan 21, 2009.

?

Guru3D + Youtube, would you watch it?

1. Yes

79.7%
  2. No

20.3%
  1. Flopster

Flopster Banned

GPU:
    Club3D 8600GTS 256MB
    Wonder why Hilbert hasn't posted anything here. No conformation, no denial.
    @proFits
    That vid which you posted on youtube was quite horrible. The sound and video quality were quiote crap and that would be no good... Though I understand that it was a video that you made in short time and with lack of experience in video editing. You'll definetely need a better camera and some more practice in the editing. So how is it even supposed to work? Hilbert does the videos and just edit them? You do the videos and edit them? (not sure how you'll get the hardware that Hilbert gets..)

2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I checked out your vid also - there is a lot of white noise in there: you wouldn't happen to have your soundcard on the same power source as your fans would you?

Also the above poster made a good point: how would you obtain the hardware in order to to review it?

EDIT: I see you're using onboard sound - this will prob contribute to the noise....and possibly a noise-canceling mic will help.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  3. proFits

proFits Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    Not really there was absolubtly no noise with the original .wmv file sound was flawless and so was image, but it was getting late so I was rushing my encoding process and it was getting late so as soon as I had something uploadable I put it online and went to bed

And as for the technical/entertaining aspect I can be well over what you guys expect as far as technical explanations go (it is my job afterall), and for entertainement I consider myself as a funny guy

Obviously I'll need to spend one more week working on this and I can get something pretty sweet going, that first video was for myself, now I know I can put in title screen with an anthem then put a message passing while running my recorded video then a quick credit screen, and to me that was an immense success, only the encoding part was HORRIBLE, video and audio quality went down the drain!

Nways so far I'm just doing this for my own fun, because until HH posts something about it we have no idea what's going to happen

1. I don't want to make unofficial reviews on my own
    2. Maybe HH already has plan to make his own fully hosted video
    3. Maybe HH is camera shy and thinks the idea would be too time consuming
    4 Maybe HH doesnt want to associate himself with an amateur such as myself

4. masterchiefx2

masterchiefx2 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 280 Sli
    he is so cool lol :/

have you seen the videos support 3gm where he basically begs for money

i might donate 20$ so he has to make a video thanking me for the donation lool :|

5. Raven^

Raven^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Ati 4870 512mb (Stock)
    hahaha!!! i would give up before i ask for donations tbh.

6. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Hey Profits,

The next time you have an idea, you might consider presenting it to me by email or PM, rather than me stumbling into a thread and noticing this discussion by accident. I do not read all threads on the forums bro, and the pub is my least visited area.

Using video in an article is an integral and future part of the website. I however do not believe in short video reviews and conclusions for the sole reason that we make in-depth reviews. And that's not something you can do with video's. Reading an article is an interactive thing. you look at specs, numbers, compare etc etc .. this for example is why Rodney/3Dgameman sticks to being very low-level.

And there's nothing wrong with low-level video reviews, but it's just not something that would fit Guru3D.com, so that part I feel will not have additional value to our readers. What I do think, is that future reviews will get small integrated video's to help assist a review. There's only so much you can do in a written review, and certain situations can be assisted with video. A good example is the amBX review we recently did to show you how well the room lights up.

However, if we where to do full-fetched videos then it would be done from a small studio, with a HD camera and the video's properly edited.

It has nothing to do with me being camera shy or disliking your idea, but I strongly feel that video reviews at this stage in time will not benefit Guru3D.com, but video's that will assist reviews obviously will be an integral part of our reviews yes.

Anyway, great idea and I do appreciate you offering it, but at this time it's not something we will pursue.

7. soul8103

soul8103 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600M GT
    I must admit I actually much prefer written reviews. I've been around G3D from around 2001 and it's the written articles and reviews that has kept me reading, and subsequently posting on these forums.

I tend to find video reviews usually pretty bad. Either because the speaker is aweful, or it's just not as informative as a written review. Video pieces can be great to see the hardware in action, but otherwise it would have to be pretty long in order to give the depth that a written review gives. If G3D was to employ video reviews as well, imo they would have to showcase the hardware being reviewed in such a way that it would accompany hilberts reviews. However I would be diserpointed if the articles were not as plentiful in the midst of video reviews.

I guess it's something for G3D and the overall community to really deside whether this would be a good addition to what is already a very informative hardware site.

*Edit**

^ I see Hilbert somewhat agrees with me...

8. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    As much as I would like them, and would watch them, I can't find anything that Hilbert said that I disagree with. It's just not worth doing unless it can be done very professionally, and it's just not the time for it.

But like he said, small videos are a massive help. Although 3DGM is very low level, one thing I do like about his reviews is letting you hear the fans on case reviews when running stock. Helps a bit.

9. proFits

proFits Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    As I said before I would not like to create something below the standards of guru3d hopefully nobody though the video was anywhere close to what I want to achieve

The thing is at the same time I have my own projects and professional goals which come along time lines of creating high quality training videos for newly hired IT technicians that join my current work group.
    My previous experience as a flash animator also let's me think it would be fairly easy to ''direct'/produce'' successful videos, specially if it's a simple review

And for the whole PM/emailing before posting about it I was already sure you had considered the idea before and seeing how you seem to say nothing is in the work then I was better putting a pole up to see the % of forum trolls that would be interested in the idea, and if you look at the pole number I think I reached my goal
    Which was to show that people have interest in seeing an active person telling them about this new hardware

With the current ways that youtube lets you had links and comments into the video it would seem like a great idea to me

And since i already had plans of buying an HD camera and editing software, for my own personal use ( also have some paintball/soccer games and my friend's dune buggy build I'd like to record)

Anyways I still hope guru3D follows the trend and get going for some videos, don't get me wrong I love the written reviews and previews but I think if a tech of the quality of hilbert were making videos it would bring a whole new dimension to it, as well as helping keep Guru3d up there ( I consider guru3d to be the best hence why I offered it here and not at tom or anand)

10. IkemenTommy

IkemenTommy Master Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 8800GT 512MB HDMI
    I can throw in a counterargument. Over at T*m'shardware, they started to have video (mostly game reviews) segments with those dweebs I forgot their names. It doesn't really matter. They load up slowly, and worst of all, they were annoying. T*ms is still a great site to get information, but I avoid watching the videos for those reasons.

11. horse

horse Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColour HD4870
    It would be very hard to do well, but if that hurdle was jumped I would watch some interesting features, though I prefer video reviews in the context of an additional source of information for games reviews - lets you see the product as it were.