AMD is tanking

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by nichtganz, Jan 18, 2009.

1. nichtganz

nichtganz Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI N670 PE 2GD5 GTX 670
  2. The_Red

The_Red Banned

GPU:
    EVGA 9800gtx
    lol, good riddance. Their products have been steadily declining in quality.

3. Psychonewb

Psychonewb Member

GPU:
    ATI X300? 256MB
    Now Intel will have full complete unobstructed domination, even more than now of the CPU market. Next on their **** list: NVDIA! Then the consumer!

4. thecake90

thecake90 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 1060GTX
    What else is new :(

5. n0t0ryus1

n0t0ryus1 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260 Core 216 55nm
    If they tank, were screwed. Intel is going to slap us with some outrageous prices.

6. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    who didn't see this coming?

if AMD tanks then so does ATI.

7. urmysin

urmysin Master Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA 9800GT 1GB SLi
    We all know that AMD has been dropping jobs left & right. Also their earning forecast has only been to break even for so long now. It is just a matter of time before they come apart. Companies that don't turn a profit simply will not last.

I have to disagree on that one since I have always been more than happy with all of my AMD builds. Also if AMD goes under prices will be outrageous from Intel more so than they already are.

Fully agree on that one with you.

8. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    keep it clean folks or this thread will be closed.

9. Renegade8100

Renegade8100 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    i liked amd and i liked ati but.. their stuff doesnt hold up anymore with performance. what they do is make sub par products and just sell them dirt cheap. its sad. i did think the 4870 series was cool but the drivers suck for crossfire unlike with nvidia where you can force afr and play any game with sli.

i dont know.. maybe theyll pull a rabbit out of their ass and save the day

10. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    Catalyst 9.1 holds the fate of ATI! I for one just switched away from ATI after trying Crossfire 4850's.

11. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    I wish them well! They are needed by everyone who is interested in PC's. Without any competition at all Intel with have won and WE WILL PAY THE PRICE!

Come on AMD/ ATI please.....

12. wud03

wud03 Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 4850 512MB @ 690/1188
    What? If there was no AMD, we would still be buying pentium 4 3.2 ghz for 300$. I'm trying real hard to keep this clean and respectful so I'll just leave it at that.

13. The Chosen 1

The Chosen 1 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 6870 MSI TwinFrozer II

And then do it like nvidia... "the new pentium 5 (same architecture, lower die size...) " and we would have all new pentium 4 with double the price...

14. nichtganz

nichtganz Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI N670 PE 2GD5 GTX 670
    The big thing is not just the job cuts, its the pay reduction and removal of benefits. The other concerning thing is the prices of the 4870x2 are no longer compettive most of them can be found around the same price as the GTX 295 or more expensive.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Description=4870+X2

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/search.asp?keywords=4870+x2&srkey=4870x2

Tiger direct one requires rebates for those near 400 prices (70 in rebates)

Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
  15. D-Cyph3r

D-Cyph3r Master Guru

GPU:
    Intergrated (for now)
    AMD wont go under, not while they got the oil-rich Arabs pumping money into them.

If, by some cruel twist of fate, they DID drop out the market that'd be me done with computers. Intel will monopolize the CPU market then, once Larrabee is released, grind away at nVidia till they have no one else to compete with (wont be hard since Nvidia isn't exactly doing well at the minute either).

To anyone who sees this as good news, your an idiot of immeasurable proportions.

16. Iarwain

Iarwain Banned

GPU:
    4890 990//1120
    I have to sigh at all of you.

The Athlon series of processors is STILL capable of performing in games. a 5200+ can play you any game you wanna play. 6400+ is a match for many Core 2s, if you think their products are "sub-par" or "failing" then you have a short memory.

As for the 4k series being a failure? Nvidia saw it's earnings cut literally IN HALF by the combination of ATI and recession. In half.

Anyone who says "good riddance" is completely ignorant on the way the world works, and should enjoy paying 2000 dollars for a high end i7, should AMD go under.

As for the comment "If AMD tanks so does ATI" is unlikely. ATI itself I would expect is profitable now. If AMD tanks someone could purchase AMD's GPU teams and equipment and continue producing.

Sounds to me like a lot of the people in this thread are pretty ignorant of how things work.

17. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    The question isn't whether the Athlons perform well or not -- it's whether their competition performs better, and unfortunately(?), that seems to be the case currently. And if the competition performs better, consumers will not buy Athlons.

Also, the bad stigma surrounding the brand-name "Phenom" isn't exactly helping... IMO AMD should drop the brand-name altogether at this point.
    Agreed.

18. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    AMD isn't tanking. It's just another US company that can't keep up with the current economic status. A lot of companies are cutting workers.

19. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    I had an awful dream the other night! Microsoft bought Intel it was horrible!:puke2:

20. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    I think it's funny AMD fans are running in here telling us how great the A64 architecture WAS. Are we getting a history lesson here? Come on people, that was 4 years ago when the A64 X2 series was released. AMD has made almost no strides since then, unlike Intel who progressed from the P4 to Pentium D then to the king of the castle C2D. Of course this was until Intel released the i7 based on DDR3 and Triple GPU and AMD has had nothing to respond with since C2D emerged. Sure A64 archiecture can still run most games, but I just upgraded from an A64 X2@2.7ghz to an E8500@4.0ghz and I saw triple the FPS in some cases (GTA IV, Source) and double at the least (Crysis, FO3, CoH)

I was a fan of AMD for over 6 years, but when there is no more competition it is only silly to buy with brand loyalty. While the Phenom II is a great chip and overclocks very well (6ghz), it can't match the architecture of i7 or even C2D. This is kind of obvious in how AMD named their chips the exact same as Intel hoping people would stumble across them when searching. It's sad really to see no competition in the CPU market and possibly the GPU market (if AMD does fall).

On the bright side I hope AMD releases something to put themselves back on the map; nothing could make me happier than replacing my E8500 with some new AMD chip 1-2 years down the road :D

Last edited: Jan 18, 2009