Seagate Barracuda drives failing en masse

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Jan 14, 2009.

1. krisby

krisby Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    Damn! just occurred to me the new server I built in November has 2 500GB Barracuda's, hopefully it lasts until I build a new one shortly, then the other one can just be a backup, should be ok providing I don't get 4 HDD failures at the same time.

2. The Chosen 1

The Chosen 1 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 6870 MSI TwinFrozer II
    WTF??

Quoted from the seagate forum...

I just checked that the drive that i bought recently indeed has the SD15 firmware... just my luck...

If this drive fails it will be my last seagate...

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  3. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    My 1.5TB drive has the SD17 firmware, so hopefully I'm safe. Can't believe they managed to let a mistake like this fly by their QA.

4. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    I just bought a maxtor 1TB external hardrive, they're owned by seagate aren't they so could I be affected?

5. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    SD15 but it's the drives with SD14 firmware that are failing according to Seagate's website. Seagate make it very hard to get firmware updates you have to email them. Bad service....

EDIT: NM I see that was a different issue with the SD14 firmware I think. Something to do with the cache being detected incorrectly.

Now I have to back up my data. So exactly how does one back up half a TB worth of data?? New HDD?.....lol

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  6. IkemenTommy

IkemenTommy Master Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 8800GT 512MB HDMI
    Yes, with another Seagate HDD!

7. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    my 120gb ATA 133 Barracuda failed on me... i switched it then the new one failed again lol
    this 160gb SATA Barracuda seems stable since 1 year, if this will fail i am switching to WD

8. subxero

subxero Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 295
    I had a 7200.11 500gb 32mb die on me the day before Christmas. I had only had it since Sept. 22, it didn't make any wierd noises, or have any signs of going bad. I turned off my system one night and the next morning the HDD was not found in the bios. I was pretty mad mostly because I had few games on there with those crappy activation limits, that I had just gotten as gifts. It was firmware SD15 by the way.

I had bought and gotten a few new games I wanted to play so I picked up a Seagate 1tb 32mb 7200.11 from Bestbuy for $119 the next day. it is using firmware SD35, so I hope that htey got some of the issues worked out.

I'm kinda waiting a bit to rma the 500gb on back so I can hopefully avoid getting a replacement with the same issues.

9. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    i've always and i mean ALWAYS supported Seagate as the most reliable harddrives ever, i've had nothing but Seagate since the early 90s and never been disappointed.

i am very disappointed though with how Seagate is currently dealing with this problem and its customers.

in the last couple of years i bought only WD drives and will stick to them, Seagate ain't what it used to be. :banana:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  10. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    I have had 1 Maxtor fail (60gb ide one) and one Seagate is giving me problems (250gb LaCie USB one)... Seen few of the 250gb usb ones fail.

2*500gb Samsung T166 in my PC atm. Have been looking for 1tb drive for some time now, not sure which one to buy, Samsung or WD Black...

11. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I have had horrible experience with Maxtor and one Seagate is acting weirdly. Never had any problems with WD and Samsung.

12. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    as i posted earlier, i had 2 seagate 7200.11s die on me

the 500Gb one died about after 2 months of use and the 320Gb one died in less than a month..same symptoms as most wherein the drive cannot be detected

anyway, both were replaced by seagate but the refurb 500Gb one i got is still SD15 :(

13. Præses

Præses Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 6800XT
    Don't worry too much about it, mine has been lasting 11 months so far, also SD15. Maybe some of them don't just die randomly?

14. TirolokoRD

TirolokoRD Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 980TI ACX 2
    Ohh ohh.....you people make be afraid of my 500GB 7200.11 HD......I think i am going online to seek for a samsung F1 right now!!..

15. BBN

BBN Master Guru

GPU:
    Vapor-X 7950 3 Way Xfire
    sure seems odd that 500gb .11 is mentioned one too many times here . Personaly will be waiting fot the 2t ones

16. Spongebong

Spongebong Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX980 SC
    Well i guess I'm in the same boat.
    I have a 7200.11 500gb 32mb with SD15 firmware I got over a month ago because my WD160GB started to leave files Orphaned and corupted.

17. NeoElNino

NeoElNino Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080 8GB Soon
    damn it i bought my 1TB Seagate last summer but it still didnt fail on me... yet im starting to doubt now from the Failure Threads ive seen on several forums on the WEB. Im gonna end up buying the 1TB F1 from Samsung to backup my HDD just in case it fails.

I dont want to see 800GB of movies, music, pictures and PC games backed up since 2001 gone.. i might suicide as well if this happened. :bang:

EDIT --- from another forum i quote that there might be a firmware released for the Seagate HDDs next week (monday or tuesday):

FYI. Thought I might save some people a lot of on-hold time.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
  18. IkemenTommy

IkemenTommy Master Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 8800GT 512MB HDMI
    I hope this issue that Seagate is having is just a case of bad firmware that can be corrected with an update.

19. Marduk-

Marduk- Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 8800GT @ 680/1800
    Just bought a 1TB WD Caviar GP instead of the Seagate 7200.11 1TB because of this.
    First time I have bought a WD. Cross my fingers hope it goes well. Had 4 Seagates 2 of which were bad and 1 Samsung which failed 1 year later.

20. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    I've got one of the 1TB drives affected.

Already contacted support about it. Nothing back so far. =(