Idiots at PC Stores

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Stromgold, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Stromgold

Stromgold Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1060
    I suppose they don't care if you have any knowledge about the products you are selling, as long as you are happy and don't steal from them. :p

2. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    HIS HD4870/Samsung2343BWX
    Let this be a lesson to you guys. You don't buy prebuilt systems from BB or FS! :knock:
    I'll be doing some volunteer work as an instructor for a new (small) class. When they're done in one month, they will certainly know the parts of their computers and for sure, will know the difference between a CAT5 and a Crossover Cable! :knock:
    I thought it was bad; but judging by these posts - very few people know their own product. :banana:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Better study before you start instructing....if you try to explain the difference between Cat5 and Crossover Cable...you'll be giving out incorrect information. Cat5 is a standard designation for the number of "twists per inch" for the wire pairs....Crossover refers to how the wires are connected within the "plug"...usually having the send/receive wires "crossover"... Cat5 cable is used to make Crossover Cables.

4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    ^^Actually I was just thinking the same thing...CAT5 can be Crossover or Patch cable....lol

5. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I would not buy a prebuilt sysym from anywhere.

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    hard to teach people the right things...when you're telling them the wrong things.

7. Stromgold

Stromgold Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1060
    Me either, though I used to before I knew better. :p I remember years ago when I bought 3 HP computers in a row. Had I only known then, I could've saved so much money and had higher quality parts at the same time. :nerd:

8. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    Semantics. I have both types. Obviously there's a difference between a "Crossover" cable and a "network" cable. It will all be expained to them, so they know there's more than one type of cable. I may even take my SCSI cables to the class. Anyway; I have the Instructors' booklet (old) and I'll be teaching MS Office and windows (XP), etc. :biggun:
    They will learn about their hardware. I'll probably do that first, as it will give them new insight on what the various components are, the purpose of each one.
    BTW: AFAIK; there's a CAT6 on the market. ;) Networking aside; when this class is done, no salesperson's pitches will be pulling the wool over their eyes. They will walk into a computer store with confidence - knowing exactly what they want and knowing what the cost should be (price matching) and they won't have to ask ignorant questions such as "Is this a good computer"? :) Just one example of the games salespeople play: "Or; I'd recommend this one for just a few hundred more. It has two gigs of Ram, which makes it a much faster machine than the one with the one gig of RAM" :eek:
    I can recall a number of times that I've asked for a component because I couldn't affort a better one. I'd tell the salesperson that I could only afford ~$200. He/she then steers me toward a model that was $399! WTF; what did I just tell you! I said two hundred - not 4 hundred! :biggun:

9. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    "Crossover vs Patch.
    What is the difference between a Crossover Cable and a Patch Cable?
    A "Patch Cable" connects a computer to a Hub or patch panel.
    A "Crossover Cable" connects two computers together without a Hub".

That's simplified, but a good place to start.
    BTW 'psychosis' ; I've repaired hundreds of notebooks and laptops. "right things", "wrong things"? WTF are you to criticize my methods? You don't know me and here you are telling me my business! At least I know that this course will be easy to teach and since I'm already aware of my own capabilities, I don't need some "I'm smarter than thou" type to tell me I'm teaching the wrong way, when I haven't even started yet! "network", "Crossover"...semantics!

10. Alec**

Alec** Maha Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 5850 1GB H²0
    IMO Pre built systems are only good if your on a low budget i.e. £300

11. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    i think you spoke for all of the"pc store idiots" out there.

managment blame is just an excuse. you control what you say to customers, your no zombie right? no, just pure greed.
    so this ones, from all of us constumers lol

[​IMG]

12. grunger

grunger Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX970 4GB

Easy man :)

But you know round here people will pick up on things like patch lead/X-Over lead! (I'm suprised no-one has yet meantioned the fact that most new switches are auto sensing vs the old hubs where x-overs/uplink ports were needed ;) )

Kudos for teaching a class for free, I did that here for a little while, I found it really rewarding, people really do want to learn just take it easy and don't try explaining chained SCSI ids on day 1! (TBH I've worked in the industry as a network engineer/sys admin for nearly 7 years, and I still have to think when jumpering SCSI devices!)

IMHO if you want to talk cables in a class.
    Do CAT5e/6e, 40/80 Pin IDE, SATA (+SAS) for the basics, and maybe LVD SCSI, and the CISCO rollovers for the more advanced stuff?

Back on topic!

I avoid anywhere where I can see people being obviously ripped off, it sucks, but I could stand in PC World all day telling people the kit sucks etc, but THB I have better things to do.

13. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    i wouldnt mind teaching a computer class for free, just a quick course thats based soley on the students questions rather than teaching a general topic, but not sure how i get ahold of a computer room for free though.
    ah, the library i guess?

14. grunger

grunger Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX970 4GB
    You'd be suprised how happy people would be to have you, I work (one of my clients) with an education charity in the UK they got a room of 2nd hand PII/PIII kit for free and a guy teaching word etc.

I was down doing some routing/switch work and said I'll do some basic LAN/Router (the basic home end, not my normal corp end) teaching if you like, they nearly ripped my hand off! I did a couple of sessions before XMas, the place was packed!

However the library might not like you messing with thier PCs or network ;)

15. Spongebong

Spongebong Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX980 SC
    Well not exactly a computer story but my friend and I went to a Sony store shortly after the Playstation came out.
    I asked the guy there if they sold Playstations,he looks at me and says no sir we don't sell kids playground equipment here.

My friend starts laughing his ass off and walks away,it got to the point where the manager came up to him and asked him if everything was alright.
    He replied your salesman is a dumbass.
    I looked over and started laughing then got the hell out of there really quick.

16. kid-goku

kid-goku Guest

GPU:
    Gainward 980 Ti
    a guy i know went out and bought a geforce 6200 cuz the salesman told him that it's the best card out there i was like, WTF:3eyes:?

17. Stromgold

Stromgold Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1060
    Was he looking for a pci slot card at the time? :nerd:

18. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    This program I'm teaching is only one month; so they'd better be fast learners. I wouldn't be surprised if one of them asked; "Where's the ON button"?
    I was having a look around one and found that it had all kinds of Trojans, spam, etc. I was given a manual which is quite ancient; but I like to play things by ear. I replaced the AV and spam - neither of which seem to work very well, with Avast and Spybot S&D. The first thing I'll show them is the inside of the computer to give them a good idea of what goes on behind the scenes and we'll have fun with it. It will be a fun class, so that newcomers won't be so intimidated. :)

19. scipio

scipio Guest

GPU:
    Evga 1080 gaming
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28691963/

20. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    thank god. though i dont like to see all those employees without jobs but i had a nerve for CC ever since that arguement i had with them over their return policy, just cause its posted on the back of a receipt after purchase does not mean i signed it and agree. cant just sell someone something then say afterwards here is the terms you now agree to,thats b.s.