Nvidia GeForce 181.20 WHQL released!!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by dajife, Jan 8, 2009.

1. g60force

g60force Guest

GPU:
    NV 1660Ti + 5850
    How did you install because only when I install 181.20 or 185.20 over the standard W7 driver I can go to the NVCP... if I uninstall & clean, then install the system gets instable and cannot get in NVCP :3eyes:

And 180.84 & 180.48 I cannot install W7 says that i'm not in Vista32 :wanker:

BTW or the ones interrested: [W7x32bit]
    FC2 Bench DX10 VeryHigh (WDW1.1) 28.22/35.74/50.61
    FC2 Bench DX10 VeryHigh (181.20) 33.35/43.08/59.97
    FC2 Bench DX10 VeryHigh (185.20) 34.58/43.16/60.95

the weirdest thing now happened, got lots of game crashes so wanted back to WDW1.1 but didn't work... So restored.. still no WDW1.1 just VGA so forced W7 to use WDM1.1 and ques what NVCP works and runs like it's best of all 3combined??? WTF :stewpid:

Also good to know, the following games don't work... how hard I try, only with WDM1.1 they seem running stable and WO glitches!:
    -NFS underground (f*cks up when using 185.20)
    -XMEN3 (only WDM sometimes works)
    -Kane&Lynch (like WDM best, but if you remove setting.. it will run long enough to get you through the visual setup and correct things)

FallOut3 looks nice runs good with WDM1.1/185.20/181.20
    but just to make sure I understand... whats a VATS??
    I only got out off the VAULT en in/out of MEGATON?? (using pipboy)

Then some UBER annoying problems before my Vista crashed I saved all savegames... but having alot of problems using my OFFLINE GFWL account
    I had to start all over for the next couple of games: :wanker:
    -FlatOut Ultimate Carnage (allmost completed game, so that s*cks)
    -FallOut3 (just want to know before next crash happens)
    -GTA4 (this one bothers me the most cuz if finished the game twice etc.)

The next games don't use GFWL but are a pain to get working again:
    -Titan Quest
    -Kane & Lynch

All other 20+ games saved game are nicely recovered :pc1:

Anyone who has some tips regarding W7 / specific driver / or savegame thnx!

2. abb1

abb1 Member

GPU:
    BFG GTX 295
    I have tested these drivers in two systems. One using my GTX295 and the other using my 9800GTX. On the system using the GTX295 card, Sacred 2 crashes the entire computer forcing it to reboot. On my system using the 9800GTX, Sacred 2 plays great using these drivers. My conclusion is that these drivers STILL DONT SUPPORT THE NEW GTX295 CARDS 100%. Oblivion and Fallout 3 play great in them, but Sacred 2 does not. Again, it does play great though with these drivers using the 9800GTX. Has anybody else using the GTX295 had any problems with these drivers?

3. Clamman

Clamman New Member

GPU:
    BFG 9800gx2
    Hey guys new guy here. Been reading the forums for a little while and decided to sign up to this great forum. I too had been having the problem with Fallout 3 with the outdoor Vats crash with this driver. I read on the Nvidia forums about someone with a fix for this and I do declare it worked for me. What he suggested was to go into the options under the advanced section and click on the water tab. In there is a option for water multisampling which is on high and turn it to low. I did this and all the crashes stopped. Don't know why it made a difference considering I wasn't near any water at the time:confused:. Anyway juyst wanted to suggest what worked for me anyway.

4. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Welcome to Guru3D, Clamman, and thanks for sharing this fix! :)

5. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000

this doesnt work for me. only renaming to oblivion does... but the drivers are great for all other games.. so im pausing fallout 3 :bang:

6. KillerC

KillerC Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 RTX
    Howdy clamman and thanks for posting your find.

I had high hopes for this one but unfortunately it did not work for me either , I have searched high and low and nothing works except for renaming the .exe apparently , time to roll back there are still many things I want to try in F3!!

I was able to report it on the Driver Feedback page at Nvidia though before work this morning , pointed to this thread in hopes they might see the problem fatser.

7. Clamman

Clamman New Member

GPU:
    BFG 9800gx2
    Funny how some fixes work for some and not others with the same driver. Seems like you spend more time trying to get the game to run than playing it at times.:bang:

Forgot to mention I'm running Vista 64 if that makes any difference.

8. Gonzo7

Gonzo7 Master Guru

GPU:
    2 GTX480
    at least i can open nv control panel now, shame i woke up to a BSOD for driver irq, not had one of those for a long time so i point the finger of blame at nvidia

9. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I'm a little p***ed off at Fallout 3 eventually crashing to the desktop with these drivers as everything else seems to run great. Sometimes I can play for 10 minutes and sometimes it crashes to the desktop after a minute. Prior to that, it was working great and stable with the v180.84 beta drivers (apart from the distorted radio music from the Pip-boy, that is, but that can easily be worked around by not listening to the radio).

I did try rolling back to the v180.84 beta drivers but something got messed up and almost all of my games started crashing upon loading except for a few. Doing a system restore point back to the point before I rolled back fixes it.

I guess the Fallout 3 problem is related to the 64-bit version of Vista but it is annoying that NVIDIA make claims about performance being improved for various games, including Fallout 3, but that crashes. Makes me wonder if they even bother testing these at all on the 64-bit operating systems.

10. KillerC

KillerC Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 RTX
    Actually I have 32bit Vista and have the Outdoor/VATS issue so its not just limited to 64bit.

And , after trying Clammans fix , I uninstalled 181.20 and ran DriverCleaner.net in safe mode for both Nvidia and Nvidia PhysX and it took some time to clean , then for the first time EVER for me it said I needed to restart the computer to remove some remaining drivers...from SAFE mode? strange...

I then reinstalled the 180.84's , rebooted once , and went from just outside Raven rock clear across to the National Guard Armory (across the map) many MANY VATS battles and about 2 hours running time....no crashes.

I don't know what , but somthing is not right (for me at least) with these divers.

11. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    @KillerC - Have you tried doing an uninstall, running Driver Cleaner then installing the 181.20 drivers by any chance?

I'm just wondering if the issues we're experiencing are to do with traces of the old drivers left over from installing the new drivers over the top of the older ones? That is what I usually do as I've never had any problems doing that in the past plus I don't particularly want to lose all my customised games profiles, which I would do if I ran Driver Cleaner.

Also I've read that Driver Cleaner isn't recommended for Vista x64 as it can delete files that the operating system actually needs.

P.S. Fallout 3 doesn't crash while using VATS for me (indoors or outdoors), it just crashes back to the desktop intermittently, usually while wandering around in the wastelands. I do have the settings on Ultra High through at 1680x1050 with 15X AF and 8X AA for maximum image quality.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  12. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Those reporting Fallout 3 issues, I have yet to crash out of the game in SLI or Single GPU mode. Played for a solid 2 hours this morning.

Although 185's crashed me almost immediately. This set is working wonders for me.

I suggest uninstall, driver cleaner, and delete the graphics driver folders from your nvidia directory.

@ Darren

I don't know where you heard that from about Driver Cleaner and Vista x64 but its false. I've used it since Vista has been released with no problems. Yes I paid for mine, and it was worth every penny. One time fee and updates for life.

I've also tried the last free version in Vista x64 on my 2nd machine with no problems.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  13. ceckin

ceckin New Member

Anyone problem with LOTR: Conquest, cause it seems i have massive Texture problems, and if by some miracle launch its totaly unplayable

14. Emig5m

Emig5m Guest

GPU:
    BFG / 8800GT OC / 512
    These drivers crash UT3 and limit my refresh rate selection at the resolution I play at (1280x960) to only 85Hz. Instant deal breaker for me.... Even 85Hz looks flickery when used to 100Hz+....

Running Windows 7 Beta 1 (7000)

15. gsxrjunkie

gsxrjunkie Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG gts250oc
    wow,from my 185.20 drivers my 3dmark03 score was 11638 with these it jumped to 13401,and i leave all my settings for video display the same as when i game,i dont tweak the performance settings when i benchmark.havent tried games yet but i am now

16. KillerC

KillerC Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 RTX
    I ALWAYS use driver cleaner and have used it for years and years , I also have the paid DriverCleaner.net newest version.

ALWAYS:
    I remove drivers
    reboot in safe mode
    run driver cleaner , with Nvidia and Nvidia Physx filters enabled
    restart in vista
    install new drivers
    reboot again
    set all my profiles up
    reboot a third time

and have YET to have a problem through every driver that I find posted except the 185 series because they are alpha and that scares me so i never tried them.

I have no idea what the problem is but it does not exists on my rig for any driver but the 181.20WHQL.....I'm stumped. BUT at the same time I can wait till a good fix is found or the next beta or WHQL , the 180.84's are working just fine till then. :)

PS: I will also try removing the Nvidia driver folder after running driver cleaner and try these one more time and I let ya know how it works out , thanks

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  17. g60force

g60force Guest

GPU:
    NV 1660Ti + 5850
    03 :nerd:.. hheeehehe think you should always compare 06 and 08 aswell :pc1:

18. mescott

mescott Member

GPU:
    580 GTX
    Fallout and VATS

Hi all...yep, CTD's for me as well with the driver...I just rolled back and Fallout is running without any issues again. I usually don't install betas, and go for WHQL's...so this has been a bit of a disappointment, as usually, I just install and play away.

I rolled back before I tried the water fix. Sooner or later, Nvidia will probably release a driver addressing the problem. Meantime, it's back to playing this awesome game.

Cheers

:infinity:

19. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    Question, does anyone have the modded driver, for the 6 series? i want to try them out :)

20. BaneComes

BaneComes Banned

GPU:
    580GTX Twin Frozr II/OC
    you,don't need a modded inf 6 series on up is supported bro