Any rumours on Catalyst 9.1?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by busta_dude, Jan 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zyrocenus

Zyrocenus Master Guru

GPU:
    Saph 4890@1033\1200@1.45V
    Driver sweeper has never ever given me an issue on my system or any other I have worked on, and I work on alot of systems lol. I use it on my system as its evolved thru various hardware configurations and OSes ranging from XP 32\64 to Vista 32\64 and even on Win 7 32 \ 64 -The M1, the M3 AND the B1- Just like with any tool, it must be weilded correctly. For me the process that has worked for years is this:

1. Regular driver uninstall, reboot
    2. Boot into safe mode by invoking the F8 menu
    3. Run Driver Sweeper and configure it to remove the driver directories and to prompt for a reboot when complete. Run the Sweeper and reboot when prompted
    4. Install new driver and reboot when requested.

This has never failed me. Although these days the installer portions of both red and green team seem to have improved as I havent seen a version skew in a long time. Then again I always use the sweeper so its next to impossible for me to ever see this issue. I would have to have someone bring me a comp to fix that had that problem. Hasnt happened in a long time. However, despite the lack of version skews and apparent instabilities, CCC \ Forceware doesnt uninstall iteslf and the drivers etc completely. I have run many different scans and tools to confirm this. There are always remnants after the uninstall... if nothin else its more clutter that windows doesnt need help generating. I feel its better to clean up the mess as it occurs rather than after I begin to suspect performance or stability degradation.

I cant understand how this tool is so badly regarded. Surely if a condition existed that caused a problem I would have seen it by now based on all the various configs I myself have used and then in turn worked on..... That horshoe I carry in my ass is REALLY lucky and wedged tightly in place it would seem

Zyro

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  2. reznor3

reznor3 New Member

GPU:
    HD2600xt-512
    All this is complicated ...
    I did not find the 9.1 ...:( It is hidden ?
    Does the Catalyst 8.12 HD4850 & Crossfire Hotfix Vista 32/64bit is only for the HD4000 series ? (I Have a HD 2600xt-512)

Is it possible to have a link to the 9.1 beta ? (Im on Vista 32)

3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    The drivers people are claiming to be the 9.1 beta drivers, as nothing but 8.12 drivers with a modified INF to fool people.

4. reznor3

reznor3 New Member

GPU:
    HD2600xt-512
    Ok ;)
    And for "Catalyst 8.12 Hotfix", is it only for HD4xxx serie ? or is that with my card (HD2600) I'll see an improvement ?

5. maikai

maikai Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070
    well ive been on guru long enough to know at least one thing is for sure. never trust anything posted by a noob, nough said

6. CATALYSTCATCHER

CATALYSTCATCHER Member

GPU:
    ATI/4850/512
    Correct. The CCC images, earlier in the thread show component versions and they are the same as Cat 8.12 components.

The driver version in the current 8.12 hotfix, will not be Cat 9.1 but some of the enhancements in the hotfix may make it into the real Cat 9.1.

BTW: The driver version used for Cat 9.1 changed this morning. And this will add a few more days to the actual release date. This was done to pick up an important bug fix.

Also, most of the confusion surrounding driver versions is due to a lack of understanding regarding the process. Not any users fault, because we don't explain the process. No offence intended!

But think of it like this. Some bright fellow has a great idea to improve the car his company makes. Those ideas take many months to get to the production line and into the public. However those ideas do appear very quickly in the hand assembled concept cars that appear at the automotive trade shows.

Our drivers are similar. Fixes and enhancements take time to get to production, but are usually in hotfixes or press drivers as early previews of what is to come.

7. CATALYSTCATCHER

CATALYSTCATCHER Member

GPU:
    ATI/4850/512
    Goes for any forum. Trust is earned. It takes being correct many times over to get a good reputation.

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    This isn't my first time dealing with ATI drivers. I've never seen an ATI driver released with a minor revision number. That would be like Intel releasing a CPU named "Currently the world's fastest CPU". It just doesn't happen.

9. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I have found a review ina German site with a preview of the 9.x Beta drivers , please use Google translator. Big improvement it seems , it wins in some games compared to the GTX 295 and looses in others , so i dont think the GTX 295 its really the king of the hill ;) theres still a lot of power left within this 4870x2 and it will be unleashed with future drivers updates :D. Enjoy the article.

http://translate.google.com/transla...09/test_nvidia_geforce_gtx_295/4/&sl=de&tl=en

10. Spyral

Spyral Member

GPU:
    ATI Hd 3870
    Zyrocenus

99% of the people over at game.amd that has had problems install drivers used driver sweeper/cleaner once you use it and when installing you Catalyst driver you will get a inf file not found (maybe a user error) But why do you have to use a third party app when you can uninstall it via CP less problems!

reznor3

It will work with you card

11. Spyral

Spyral Member

GPU:
    ATI Hd 3870
    That is the same driver I posted a screenie 8.561.3-081217a-073402E-ATI everyone is calling this 9.x
    but if you read what CATALYSTCATCHER posted:
    SO THERE IS NO 9.1 BETA YET

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Yes, that is using the same 8.12hotfix driver.

13. Spyral

Spyral Member

GPU:
    ATI Hd 3870
    OK it looks like the big confusion is finally over
    THANK YOU
    CATALYSTCATCHER

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Now, when can we expect 9.1 to actually hit beta testers?

15. Zyrocenus

Zyrocenus Master Guru

GPU:
    Yes i suppose it does make it EASIER \ faster in the shortterm to uninstall via CP but as I have stated COUNTLESS TIMES the tool must be used properly in the order I have outlined again MANY times for optimal effect with minimal chance of screw ups. If you use a lighter in a paper tent yer gonna get burned.

I do beleive that the error for inf -or supported device not found, ppl get that one occasionally- is due to USER error. Either not using sweeper correctly in safe mode etc or not using any, minimal or FRAUDULENT apps to keep their systems \ registry in top notch order and that when this error occurs its the time bomb thats been tickin goin off at long last.

Again I'll state that I use the sweeper in combo with VISTA MANAGERS uninstal app -which features a focused reg\file scanner to remove orphan files and reg entries- to FULLY and COMPLETELY remove all traces of the driver before it. To create a virgin, new OS install-like environment for my new driver. In this way I keep windows with a minimal of clutter which it chokes on and doesnt need help making while at the same time I have the CLEANEST slate possible to start from.

Can we FINALLY stop bashing driver sweeper? I hate having to explain myself for using it 80 000 times lol Use it or dont...its never failed me or anyone I've shown how to PROPERLY use it. An ounce of prevention.....or so the saying says.... lol

Zyro

16. Spyral

Spyral Member

GPU:
    ATI Hd 3870
    Zyrocenus

DON'T GET ME WRONG I AM NOT BASHING DRIVER SWEEPER! IF you read LINK
    you will see I promote it with step by step guide but there has been problems with compatible issues with vista the app not running in safe mode

17. Zyrocenus

Zyrocenus Master Guru

GPU:
    Sorry for blowin up a bit there man.... some $h!t hit the fan here at work and some issues with the wife lol I've taken no offense and arent put out in the least... I'll readin the link you posted up now

Zyro

18. Zyrocenus

Zyrocenus Master Guru

GPU:
    Just gave her a read. Seems very close to the procedure I mention. If problems occur at that point 2 things come to mind

1. There were other underlying registry \ config issues that led to this condition

or

2. The one thing that isnt mentioned....and may be of greater importance than I thought is this: Configuring the sweeper to remove the ATi or NVidia directories and to prompt for a reboot when finished. It is possible that to be fully effective the install directory the driver extracts to needs to be cleared -dunno why- or that the sweeper wasnt finished...it usually only takes a second to work but I have seen small delays before the prompt... its possible.

I have no clue what issues there could have been.... can you give me a link to see some of this negative feedback using the method you idicate, which is 99% the process I use? Minus the XP \ VISTA manager step that is....I've used sweeper WITHOUT XP \ VISTA Manager for longer than I have combined the 2 so that shouldnt be the cause. I'm still mystified how I havent ever had an issue considering how many diff comps, of diff configs and diff ages I've successfully used the sweeper on. I myself have used the sweeper on every OS post WinMe. That means Win2k, XP 32\64, Server 2k3 32\64, Server 2K8 32\64, Vista 32\64 and finally Win7 32\64. If it was gonna fail ANYWHERE I suspected it woulda done so in the server OS's -I love to test things- or for sure in Win 7....nothin...

Zyro

19. Spyral

Spyral Member

GPU:
    ATI Hd 3870
    HERE IS WHAT EVERYONE POSTS

"After cleaning my old drivers out using driver sweeper I find that now I cannot install new drivers, the install of the new drivers report that no graphics card has been detected.
    The only drivers I can now install is from the driver disk that came with the card."

I see they have delete these posts on game.amd forum but if I see any more of them I'll forward them to you and then you can help sort out the problem

Since Driver sweeper 1.5.5 we see less of the problem on the forums but after every new driver release we will see a lot again again

As you can see on my site it has had 556 views and no one has had problems so I strongly think its a user problem because they cant follow instructions or don't bother to read the instructions

I think we must get back to the topic of cat 9.1 before we get flamed at.lol

20. tamzid

tamzid Master Guru

GPU:
    His iceq4 turbo 4850 512
    i didn't have any problems with ds in vista x64.. went to safe mode and got rid of everything that was named ati... then boot back up and installed 8.12 without a fuss

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.