Best Win7 GTX 260 driversA

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Nismo GTR, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Nismo GTR

Nismo GTR Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX690
    As above keep reading conflicting stories regarding the newly released WHQL 21 drivers and the 185's. So any 260 owners LMK what your using only had the card around 3 days after selling my 4870 and have just done a fresh install and dont really wanna be messing around with drivers,

Nismo

2. Rathbone

Rathbone Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix RTX2070
    Using 185.20 without problems. Didn't play much with Win7 though. Waiting for Mirror's Edge. :)

3. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    its still a beta lol, no driver is the best yet imo, wait for full win7 release and ask then ;)

4. Einhanderkiller

Einhanderkiller Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte Radeon HD 5870
    Use the ones that come in Windows Update.

5. Nismo GTR

Nismo GTR Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX690
    Thanks for that bright spark :bang: I know it's a beta but i would still like to know which are best drivers with the beta.

Thanks will give them a go and yes Mirrors's edge looks like it's gonna be very good on the PC :)

6. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    181.20 is working fine here.

7. MOFO64

MOFO64 Banned

GPU:
    9800GTX+ & 8800GT softTH
    you could try these

185.20 x86/x64

http://laptopvideo2go.com/

I know they geared towards lappys but you can still use them with modded inf supplied.

8. MOFO64

MOFO64 Banned

GPU:
    9800GTX+ & 8800GT softTH
  9. Wermser

Wermser New Member

GPU:
    EVGA 260 GTX
    I've tried them all - Win7 x86 and x64.

For Win7 the WDDM 1.1 were buggy and performance was not very good. The 185's were nice and fast, but IQ was not the best. The 181's are fast and IQ is good.

Answer: 181.20

10. vokuhila

vokuhila Member

GPU:
    GTX 260/216c @ 729/../...
    181.20, way better than 185.20 or wddm 1.1 for me

give'em a try ;-)

11. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Mirror's Edge uses the Unreal Engine 3 so it is not surprising that the game has turned out fine as, IMO, that engine has always tended to run less well on the Xbox 360 and, especially, PS3 due to their dated hardware and lack of memory. For example, tearing, framerate issues and pop-in are far more noticeable on the consoles. Mass Effect, Unreal Tournament III and even Gears of War just feel far more at home on a PC, a powerful one anyway.

12. Nismo GTR

Nismo GTR Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX690
    Thanks guy's 181.20 it is then :) I did try the 185's last night and had some weird issues with GTR Evolution ( trees flickering) and am installing 181.20's now.

I agree aswell with regards to the Unreal engine running better on the PC and am really looking forward to trying Mirrors edge on the PC as it was a bit meh on the 360 :)

13. TheAgeOfMen

TheAgeOfMen Master Guru

GPU:
    750M
    177.39 best preformance/iq ratio imho :)

14. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    PS3 is hardly dated hardware. If you can call it dated maybe the GPU, but the technology is so hybrid it's not funny.

Everything will usually play better on the PC unless its a crap port job. PC's have more resources available memory wise etc. Well I should say PC's are capable of such, not everybody has 4 gigs of ram.

As for the drivers, 181.20 WHQL runs perfectly fine in Win 7 for me.

15. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    The PS3 uses a three generation old GeForce 7800 GTX CPU as the basis for its RSX graphics card which has trouble doing HDR and anti-aliasing, hence the reason the graphics tend to look a lot jaggier when compared with the same game on the Xbox 360, e.g. Fallout 3, Oblivion, any EA sports games, etc., etc. Even the Cell processor isn't all that great since it is crippled by a lack of memory (just 512 MB) and the Blu-ray drive is so slow for loading games that developers rely on installing games to the 2.5" hard drive.

Technology wise it's a mess in my opinion and the machine has been put together with little regard for how everything was supposed to work together; that's why so many developers are having trouble coding for it and why so many multiformat games not only arrive later than the 360 version but also tend to be inferior with poorer framerates and weak AA (if any). Things are improving, granted, but almost two years after launch developers are still having trouble getting to grips with the PS3's hardware. And it's not because it's so powerful either, it's because it is overcomplex, a complaint that was also levelled at the PS2.

I've owned a PS3 for three years and while it is a decent games machine, it falls a bit short compared with the 360. It makes up for it with its excellent home media entertainment features and Blu-ray movie playback though, which is the main reason I use mine.

Anyway, both the 360 and PS3 *are* dated by current PC standards. I mean how can a machine with a three year old GPU, 512 MB of memory IN TOTAL and 720p (often sub-720p) resolutions possibly compete with a cutting edge PC that has 14 times as much memory in total, 1050p as standard and a GPU that is at least 5-8X faster as is the case with my current machine? Answer: it can't.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009