Idiots at PC Stores

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Stromgold, Jan 4, 2009.

1. GSB

GSB Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 650
    You know TigerDirect merged with CompUSA and they've not been the same service-wise since. I was at the Naperville,IL store for 3 hours last weekend trying to return some parts.
    Clerk said I have to pay a $45 restocking fee on 1 item that was unopened and after I protested to him, one of his co workers, and finally the manager, I got them to drop the restocking to $20. I waited in line with many others forever while 1 of their employees was playing the Rock Star game next to us. Someone in the line asked him why he wasn't helping out and he laughed and said he's on his break it's not his problem they don't hire enough people, what a joke. My Uncle lives a town over and says theres a sign in front now for hiring. idiots. I don't have much nice to say about Fry's or MicroCenter either, have had bad expierences there too. EBay is cool if you can find sellers you can trust.

2. Rochin

Rochin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX460 EE 1GB
    I have gotten 2 computer things from Ebay. My CPU and my copy of Vista ultimate 64 got both for 250 bucks. Worked over a year now.

3. opozoid25

opozoid25 Member Guru

GPU:
    2x BFG GTX 285 OC SLI
    Thank goodness for my local MicroCenter. I just go in and say "I'm looking for SKU 123456" and they go find it for me. :grin:

4. thecake90

thecake90 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 1060GTX
    LOL...
    Everyone one I know does the same thing here! If they wanted to ask me about my PC specs they'd ask how much memory does you card have :) then I will try to explain to them that memory isn't everything and that a 256 GPU can be faster than 1gb one .... pointless argument of course. It is sad :nerd:

5. Charliew87

Charliew87 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX260 BE @ 676mhz
    I actually applied for a job in a computerstore here in sweden where I was shunned mostly because Im "only" 21 by people like this. Nothing pisses me off more than old people that cant be convinced by younger people because "Theyve had more time to learn".

On the interview he started a discussion on PSUs and I said I was buying a Corsair mostly because of the quality of their PSUs and I named the model and everything and he went "Thats not a great choice, I got a 500W psu for 30Euros instead" and I started to tell him about the 12vRail requirements of my graphicscard and he actually laughed at me.

In the end I got so pissed I didnt really want the job anyways :)

6. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    weeeelllllll.... i dunno if i'd go THAT far on the memory scale not making a difference. maybe that there's little difference between 512MB and 1GB (at least maybe at lower resolutions).... but 256MB and 1GB is a bit much.

Still though.... same situation.

7. Charliew87

Charliew87 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX260 BE @ 676mhz
    Yuh but I wouldnt go so far as to say that "My 1gb 9400GT is much better than your 512 mb 4870"

8. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Thats the problem here too. If they take younger people they must have some IT degree from vocational school or study if at higher level... They just dont care what you know about stuff, they just look your age and papers.

IT degree from vocational school is a joke, I have fixed some pc's for guys who have got theyr IT degeree from there.

It's hard to get job from PC store for me since I'm from high school (atm first year programmer student so not that hopeless anymore). I would like to make some extra money... Which I would spend in that same PC store to upgrade my rig :p

9. Charliew87

Charliew87 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX260 BE @ 676mhz
    My friend partly finances his studies by just going around re-formatting peoples computers, carries around a 300gig USB drive, puts over the essentials, formats and goes.

BAM 50 Euros :)

10. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Haha, good idea. ATM I got money from student benefits and fixing relatives PC's (not very good business). You can live with that but you wont have much extra money to spent to computers :(

11. Charliew87

Charliew87 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX260 BE @ 676mhz
    Same here only I dont have time for a job since we do 3 classes at the same time and one of them is always too timeconsuming -.-.

Stupid electronical engineering :bang:

12. Doug

Doug Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
    well today i went into PC World purposely to see how stupid they are and presume i am.

so im looking at all the 'high end' pc's, all of them have either a 9600gt or 9800gt both 512mb.

so after about 5 minutes nobody has asked if i need help so i go up to two workers and ask if they do any pc's with anything more powerful than a 9800gt to which he replies 'no you dont need anymore for any game' which is fair enough.

then i asked dont you do any pc's with ATI's in them? he says 'no because no ati cards are better than the nvidia cards' to which i replied 'No.' at that point he says i should just SLI some nvidia cards rather than get an ati, i said 'no i dont do dual card setups'

then he takes me over to the graphics cards section and shows me some 9600GSO's and the ATI 4650. i ask if he has any 1gb cards and he says 'no, no games today need anymore than 256mb' i said 'well that depends on what res youre running it at really doesnt it?' then he left me alone :D

13. Charliew87

Charliew87 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX260 BE @ 676mhz
    Cant you report him to his supervisor or sue for malpractise or something if he intentionally lies you in the face like that? The 9600GT cant run todays latest games at any resolution imo, try running crysis and maybe 1024x768 medium will work but I even doubt that.

Ffs, were surrounded by idiots... and worst of all they think were even bigger ones.

14. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RX 6600
    Sorry mate, have to disagree on that. I can play crysis on high @ 1440x900, with 25 ~ 35 fps in dense jungle. Other games (grid, fallout 3, fc2) run much smoother than crysis, > 40 fps with everything maxed out.

This one, 100% agree with you :)

15. Charliew87

Charliew87 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX260 BE @ 676mhz
    Yuh, my bad. Still lotsa cards stronger than the 9600GT, having that in your companies "High-end machines" is stupid.

16. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    HIS HD4870/Samsung2343BWX
    I only have a GeForce 9500M GS :(
    On my laptop! :banana:
    This is a very entertaining thread. At least I'm not surrounded by idiots ATM...I'm in my room. ;)
    I've been in many stores, many times asking about a product and I get a "Huh, never heard of that. What's it look like"?:biggun:
    Oh...and how many times have you heard someone refer (not reefer);)
    to the entire computer as a CPU? :banana:

17. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    ur friend is a scammer, i do that for 20euros =), altho i dont need the money, its all about... ey u know a lil of pc right?¿ could you fix this¿ okok... then that finishes on every1 asking me for that :/

anyways ppl does it for 50euros, kinda a scam imo but well :p

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  18. <=V.H.F=>A3ON

<=V.H.F=>A3ON Member

GPU:
    ati radeon 9600 pro 256mb
    the weirdest thing happened to me today. Dajavu! my cousin rings up and asks for a little pc adive, so i gave it to freely without any remourse..
    cutting a long story short he picks me up and off we got to his local.

his birthday is jan 9 so closeish to christmas, so he was getting like a combined present.

well his parents said that you can have R3300 to spend on your pc (doesnt need anything except new gpu-only had 8600gt)

we get to the place nd head to where the graphics cards are kept.

the graphics cards in that price range was for R3200 4870, R2800 9800gtx+

i pick up the 4870 and hand to him saying" this is what you want"

when one of the assistants sneakily walks over and takes the gpu away from my cousin.

he puts it back on the shelf and takes a asus 9800gt top-R2900

he says that "trust me son this is all youll need to run everything really well, this is the best price to performance card on the market-he was meaning the really expensive asus one!"

to excited to really care he takes it to the counter and pays for it.

get home, install it etc, he wants to run crysis and really see what this puppy can do.

turns on his "22 inch" lcd

runs crysis, max res, max settings, max as, 4xaa, erererererererer, 8-15 frames!!!!!! he was destrought!! didnt know what happened.

explain to him, goes back to store swaps out for 4870, tells the assistant off *put nicely
    and goes home to properly enjoy his graphics.

19. Charliew87

Charliew87 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX260 BE @ 676mhz
    #
    ATI Radeon HD 4870

* 512 MB

Crisis doesnt play at max, it doesnt and probably isnt meant to ever be able to. The jibberish i postet is what a 4870 does to crisis, only found info with the 512 meg version but CF4870 512m runs it at 15 fps average so thats nothing to be really happy about either.

To sum it up: ONE DOES NOT SIMPLY MAX OUT CRISIS

20. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Dude, this is soo typical, i very often see, ppl reconize card speed by amount of memmory :D.