How to choose an uninterrupted power supply?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by ch1no, Jan 6, 2009.

1. ch1no

ch1no New Member

GPU:
    Inno3D Geforce GTX 280 1G
    I'm currently building my dream rig but I need help on choosing the right UPS for my pc and if you guys see anything that is not compatible please alert me, thank you very much guys. Here's the specs of my system:

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7 processor Extreme Edition
    Motherboard: Rampage II Extreme
    Memory: 6GB DDR3 1333 Kingston (3x 2GB Sticks)
    Hard Disk: 500gb WDigital Green Power SATA16mb
    Video Card: Nvidia Geforce Inno3D GTX280 (3-way SLI)
    Monitor: Samsung 920NW (No need for SLI on this monitor because of the resolution limitation but I want the system itself to last long and might upgrade to a better monitor later)
    PSU: Enermax 1000W Modular Galaxy Edition
    Speakers: Bose Companion 5
    Casing: Antec Nine Hundred Gaming

Ok guys here are some more power supply im looking into:
    Antec TruePower Quattro 1000W
    PS-W0155RU Thermaltake W0155RU Toughpower 1000W w/8Pin PCI-E Power Supply
    1200W Gigabyte Odin Pro
    *These waveform issue is really getting on my nerves, never thought picking up an ups would be so hard for a certain psu.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  2. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    Enermax recommends true (pure) sine wave UPS's only for their PSU's and not simulated or step sine wave ones. It can fry the primary capacitors especially in a 240V mains country like yours. I think I'd just chose another PSU if it's not too late...the Enermax's have an odd primary circuit and that's pretty much where they always seem to fail too.

3. biggerx

biggerx Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070 FTW
    http://www.cyberpowersystems.com/pr...category/intelligent-lcd-ups/CP850AVRLCD.html

I have this one & it's awesome!! got it for $69 @ Fry's (they ****ed up on marking the price & had to give it to me for that one) they are about $150 normally but well worth it to protect your system. They also Have software that will shut down your comp before the battery runs out in case of a black out.

The LCD screen is the best part. It tells you the output of the wall socket & conditions your power. It also tells you how long the battery will last if switched to backup power. It has four battery/surge sockets & four surge protection only sockets.

The software for it is really nice too.

" * Intelligent LCD Diagnostic Display: The innovative front panel LCD can be used to display detailed information on the status of your UPS and current power conditions. The LCD displays 11 different diagnostics: Input voltage level, Output voltage level, Automatic voltage regulator, Battery capacity, Runtime estimate, Load level, Output frequency, On battery, Overload, Fault Condition, and Silent mode.

* Automatic Voltage Regulation (AVR) - AVR technology will stabilize the AC signal and maintain a safe voltage level without switching to battery-mode. This conserves battery life, and delivers a cleaner signal to your connected equipment.

* GreenPower UPS™ - GreenPower UPS™ technology significantly reduces UPS energy costs by bypassing the AVR transformer when incoming AC power is clean. This not only dramatically reduces utility consumption, but also reduces heat dissipation and system noise.

* Ultra-Quiet UPS - The combination of an advanced ventilation design, high-end system components, and GreenPower UPS™ technology give CyberPower UPS systems the lowest sound emissions in its class. This makes our UPS perfect for desktop applications, audio/video installations, and quiet workstation environments.

* EMI/RFI - Provides shielding against electromagnetic interference & radio frequency signals. Most commonly, this is used to prevent line noise or “humming” that occurs over telephone lines, or stereo electronics.

* USB Connectivity - An HID-compliant USB port enables full integration with the built-in power management and auto shutdown features of Windows, Linux and Mac OS X.

* PowerPanel PE ™ Smart Management Software – In event of a power outage, PowerPanel PE saves your open files and will “Hibernate” your PC to increase the run-time on the UPS unit. PowerPanel is quickly and easily installed on any Windows-based PC and is designed to utilize minimal system resources. Diagnostic screens give immediate visuals of the UPS’s status, and also include the following features: Silent operation mode, configurable system notifications, automatic self tests, adjustable high/low voltage warnings, event/data logging, and scheduled shutdowns.

* LED Indicators - LED status lights indicate Power-On and wiring faults.

* Audible Alarms - Audible tones identify when the unit is running off battery power, unit overloads, and low battery.

* Resettable Circuit Breaker - Convenient unit reset switch in case of an overload.

* 3-year Warranty - CyberPower will replace your unit if damaged within 3 years of purchase date. We stand behind our products and guarantee quality. CyberPower also offers a #1 rated technical support team that will assist you with product, installation, or warranty concerns --- Free of Charge!

* ISO & Safety Certifications - All CyberPower manufacturing facilities are ISO-9001 Quality Tested. Our products are also certified by the FCC, cUL, and UL.

* Windows Vista ™ compatible - Our Power Management software has been fully tested and is compatible with Windows 200x, Server, XP, and Vista."

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  4. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    yeah true sine wave UPS's are expensive...no issues with simulated sine wave power and any of those three PSU's though

5. ch1no

ch1no New Member

GPU:
    Thank you guys for your help! By the way I've emailed Thermaltake and showed them the specs to my rig, they then suggested getting a 2000va UPS to go with their power supply unit (PS-W0155RU Thermaltake W0155RU Toughpower 1000W w/8Pin PCI-E Power Supply) if ever I'm going to be needing one. Browsing through APC's (UPS Manufacturer) website most 2000va's are pure sine wave anyways so I guess I really have to buy a quite expensive UPS for an expensive rig, LOL Well as long as it protects my system from power surges and illegal shutdowns I think it's worth the extra fee.

6. K.I.T.T.

K.I.T.T. Banned

GPU:
    Pending...
    yeah go for the 2KVA UPS and the Toughpower and maybe wait a copula more weeks and go for 3 GTX285s instead of 280s :)
    Also make sure that Kingston RAM is triple channel otherwise u'll burn that expensive CPU.
    Maybe go for 2 300GB Velociraptors in RAID 0 if u can afford it. And keep that 500GB for data storage.

7. ch1no

ch1no New Member

GPU:
    Thanks for that additional info k.i.t.t. and good thing I haven't ordered anything yet, when you mentioned the GTX 285, definitely worth the wait or better yet the GTX 295. About the Kingston RAM being triple channelled, you mean ddr3? LOL, I'm quite knowledgeable about computers but I still need a lot to learn! I'm going to use Kingston's online memory search just to be sure. About the (2) 300GB VelociRaptor HDD in RAID 0, what would be the benefits? Sorry this is my first time to build an extreme gaming rig. They are quite expensive (Php 14,000.00 /piece) but if they're worth the security and performance to last, why not.

8. K.I.T.T.

K.I.T.T. Banned

GPU:
    Pending...
    yeah definitely worth waiting for the 285s I reckon, they'll be faster use less power and produce less heat compared to the 280.

u have to get specail triple channel RAM that runs at 1.65v or less.

Velociraptors are the fastest HDDs. in RAID 0 they'll be faster. If u can't get 2 for RAID just get one and use it for the OS and games while u keep the 500GB for movies and music or whatever

9. ch1no

ch1no New Member

GPU:
    This is the RAM model ill be using: http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator_new/partsinfo.asp?root=us&LinkBack=http://www.kingston.com&ktcpartno=KVR1333D3N9/2G

How about I go for (2) 300GB VelociRaptors RAID 0 them then just remove the 500GB HDD from my list? I can still use the raptors like a normal HDD right? Even if they're on RAID 0.

Thanks for all of your time answering my questions! I appreciate it!

10. K.I.T.T.

K.I.T.T. Banned

GPU:
    Pending...

11. ch1no

ch1no New Member

GPU:
    oh now i see what you mean. (2) 300GB VelociRaptors + RAID 0 = 300GB HDD space, not 600GB because the RAID 0 would use the other 300GB for its function? correct? Oh, I see I see.. So I really need to get another drive for storage. Thanks for helping me out man, without you helping me I might waste money on buying wrong stuff. I appreciate it bro.