GTX 260 216 Power Demands

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by eueh, Dec 26, 2008.

1. eueh

eueh Active Member

GPU:
    Placeholder XFX 8600GTS:(
    Will the PSU I have be sufficient for my current system with a GTX 260 216? I am guessing the answer is no... it is pretty old.

2. K.I.T.T.

K.I.T.T. Banned

GPU:
    Pending...
    thats the minimum, but Iam guessing it won't have the 2 PCIE connectors required, even if it does I wouldn't go for it.

Get a good 650Watter.

3. Foes

Foes Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-Sli 260's
    Info from this website "A GeForce GTX 260 requires you to have a 550 Watt power supply unit at minimum if you use it in a high-end system. That power supply needs to have (in total accumulated) at least 40 Amps available on the 12 volts rails."

4. GabrielSans

GabrielSans Banned

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 4870 512 MB
    Not completely true. See my own rig. I haven't had any problems at all regarding my PSU, and my CPU is more powerful than that Athlon 64 x2 of eueh. And I have two HDD too and plenty of fans to keep all well vented.

I have even overclocked my CPU up to 3.2 Ghz and the PSU didn't say about it. I played for hours and nothing occured. Now it is summer here, and while I have my stock cooler, I reset the clock to default. Really, I don't need to overclock it for now, it was just a test for the future with a better cooler.

And on top of that I overclocked my Radeon with the Catalyst Control Center and the PSU continued so stable as always. That "minimum" PSU myth is encouraged by PSU companies, I guess, because my PSU is hardly 500 W and generic, i.e. not big brand!

Last edited: Dec 26, 2008

5. sp5it

sp5it Member

GPU:
    GTX260@720/1510/1100
    No problem here with Corsair 520W power supply. No voltage drops or anything with my setup.
    Mike

6. Foes

Foes Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-Sli 260's
    Ok..this post makes absolutely no sense. We are talking about a GPU here that uses around 180W in Full 3D performance mode, not a 45W/65W CPU.
    These power requirements I am getting from this website, Guru3D. Last time I checked, they are not a PSU company.

EuEh, here is the article from which I obtained my information. http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-260-core-216--bfg-ocx-maxcore/4 I view the information in the article and facts vice what someone else says, whom is not even using a GTX260.

7. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    If its one of the original TruePowers then it has a 12V@30A rating and thats not enough. If its a Truepower 2.0 or TrueControl then it's 35A and probably enough but not much overhead left.

8. sunderland

sunderland Master Guru

GPU:
    xfx 5770
  9. Asmodeanusss

Asmodeanusss New Member

GPU:
    8800GT Gainward
    A friend of mine tested its BFG 216 MAXcore OCX in my PC
    I have a Sirtec High Power 500W and it runs smooth even in Crysis Warhead

10. eueh

eueh Active Member

GPU:
    Placeholder XFX 8600GTS:(
    That's what I was wondering. I have the Antec TRUE550 550 Watt ATX12V. It's pretty old, and I'm guessing that it has the 30A rating, so I probably should buy a new one.

11. texasrattler

texasrattler Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX670 2GB FTW
    I have a Antec Trio 650 and a Antec Earthwatts 650. Both can run a EVGA gtx260 216 superclocked just fine. The 550 might be a lil underpowered but it all depends on brands of the psu and gpu. PSU's and GPU's all come in different brands and with different brands, come different ratings. A OC edition gpu will obviously need a lil more power than a regular edition gpu.

12. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    yeah I'm pretty sure it was the early versions that had the word TRUE spelled out like that in the model names and the next version used TP for TruePower.

13. GabrielSans

GabrielSans Banned

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 4870 512 MB
    Yes, it makes sense, because Hilbert stated in his article:

"A GeForce GTX 260 requires you to have a 550 Watt power supply unit at minimum if you use it in a high-end system. That power supply needs to have (in total accumulated) at least 40 Amps available on the 12 volts rails."

He talked about a high-end system. If the hardware he used to test the card is a high-end system, well, my rig is near that: http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-260-core-216--bfg-ocx-maxcore/8

But, if he calls a high-end system one with an almost useless quad-core (almost useless for games, you know, because the world is still moving to two cores software/games wise)... well, in that case, you should consider a PSU 550 W to feed two extra cores you'll never use at present, hehe. OK, this was my opinion and my personal experience.

By the way, take into account that as my PSU is generic (no big brand) is very likely to be supplying less than 500 W, maybe 450 W, if I am lucky enough. Anyway, it never complained about anything I threw at it, Radeon 4870 included. The PSU myth is an interesting one. The key lies always in what we "really" call a high-end rig. I can have a humble CPU with a modest TDP, but if at the same time I have 4 fast HDD, well, what's the difference? So, the problem is always related to definitions: high-end, middle-end, low-end.

As a matter of fact, I'd like Hilbert to publish an article about this subject in order to dissipate all people's doubts in respect to the types of rigs and their power demands.

Another question some people overlook is that you can have a PSU supplying e.g. 1,000 W, but if you happen to have a UPS only supporting 750 W, the whole thing is nonsensical, you know.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2008