How long can you hold your breath?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by masterchiefx2, Dec 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deadman93723

Deadman93723 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 260 OC2 MaxCore
    I thought the only time it mattered how long you could hold your breath was after you took a bong hit.

2. dB

dB Guest

GPU:
    88GTS 512M@830/2050/2.2g
    Lol deadman. AFTER taking several bong hits I managed 1min. 50sec. Not too shabby IMO :)

3. Nihilkrist

Nihilkrist Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x Inno3D GTX260
    Yeah, I just thought that was a tad over the top. It's holding your breath, and you need a medical professional/adult to do that why?

The law should be there to stop people hurting people, not to stop us hurting ourselves. Otherwise where's the fun in life? :D

I daresay half my childhood would be gone in smoke if you took out all the stuff that nearly killed me :p Holding your breath doesn't even hold a candle to it, and I survived (just) ^^

4. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    i smoke like i wana kill myself :p and i can do about a 1min under water.

5. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    Once upon a time when I was 11, and dumb enough to actually test this at the expense of a couple thousand dead brain cells, I managed 1 minute 17 seconds. Could have gone longer, but I was in constant fear of going home 5 IQ points dumber that night, so I let it be..

6. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
    There was an episode on a derren brown show where he taught a girl to hold her breath for around 3 mins then tied here up and pushed her in a lake.

7. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load
    wow i just about passed out lol, my vision went dark and my hearing went weird, ok sat down and tryed and got 1.14 then for the next .46sec i slowed down my breathing and then started again and made 1.47 which i by then my stomach was doing this weired gaging thing and i started to feel light headed and the music i was playing started to sound muffled

i will try again when not got my kid as i think 2.30 is accessible if i slow my hearth rate enough, i will record it if i manage any longer than 3min

8. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    You're not going to damage brain cells by holding your breath even if you pass out. Your brain cells don't just instantaneously die when there is no oxygen.

9. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    Good to know, but it was still dumb trying.

10. Captain Oats

Captain Oats Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte gtx760 2gb
    1min 15sec.....maybe because of my asthma

11. Denny85

Denny85 Master Guru

GPU:
    none
    ppphhhheeww.......... ahaahahaahaaa... Damn!!!!!!!

1:12

smoker

12. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    I used to be able to do 2min30+ when I was experimenting with various breathing techniques over 10 years ago but now I seriously doubt if I could even do a minute (sedentary lifestyle, no smoking though).

13. masterchiefx2

masterchiefx2 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 280 Sli
    Hey thanks for your answers

cos i have some OCD my doctor put me on half inderal slows the heart down so i think this could be why i can hold my breath for so long LOLOLOLOlololOLOL :p

14. Solinari

Solinari Guest

GPU:
    MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr
    I don't know if it has been mentioned but if you hold your breath till you pass out the first thing you will do is start breathing again. I don't know if any of you recall when you were about 5 or 6 years old and had some tantrum with your parents and said you were going to kill yourself, so you try and hold your breath, haha. I doubt any of us got to the pass out stage but i remember my dad telling me that the first thing you do is start breathing again, these are the kind of questions you ask your parents when you're younger, do you die if you hold your breath, can i have some money, where do babies come from?

I doubt any of us could hold it long enough to pass out and please don't try. I say i doubt any of us could do it because the absolute need, no the compulsion to inhale is so overwhelming that even if you're 20ft under water you're going to fill your lungs with it before you pass out, unfortunately.

The thing i am wondering though is, how long do you pass out for and how bad of a headache do you get? Maybe it knocks you out for 8 hours, a new cure for insomnia, hold your breath till you pass out and that's you for 8 hours.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
  15. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    lol my dads on half inderal it means is keeps your heart at a steady rate not to fast not to slow :p

16. masterchiefx2

masterchiefx2 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 280 Sli
    lol i been reading into the effects of them

the pills dont look to friendly lol i was worried about taking them seems ok second day on them

17. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Side effects

Cold extremities, eg hands and feet

Slower than normal heart beat (bradycardia)

Changes in mood

Confusion

Fatigue

Nightmares

A drop in blood pressure that occurs when going from lying down to sitting or standing, which results in dizziness and lightheadedness (postural hypotension)

Dizziness

Disturbances of the gut such as diarrhoea, constipation, nausea, vomiting or abdominal pain

Rash

Dry eyes

Visual disturbances

Low blood sugar (hypoglycaemia)

Breathing difficulties due to a narrowing of the airways (bronchospasm)

Hair loss (alopecia)

Worsening of the skin condition psoriasis

Blockade of the electrical pathways which control the pumping action of the heart (heart block)

Deterioration of heart failure

Decrease in the number of platelets in the blood (thrombocytopenia)

18. Solinari

Solinari Guest

GPU:
    MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr
    It's called Propanolol (pro pano lol) and it's a beta blocker that is given to people that get palpitations (which just means noticing your heart beating differently). Of course it's given for other more serious things too.

Basically, about 10 years ago if you were going for your driving test and you were really nervous, the doctor might give you 2mg of diazepam the night before and 2mg several hours before. These days they give you f'ing propanolol so you don't feel your heart beating out your chest, but it doesn't calm you down.

If there is a properly diagnosed heart condition and propanolol or any other beta blocker is prescribed then i suggest following your doctors instructions. For mental health problems such as anxiety then it's really just something that treats A symptom, ie. palpitations which can induce panic attacks.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
  19. masterchiefx2

masterchiefx2 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 280 Sli
    my doctor said there were no noticable side efects i had an ecg and blood pressure test he said everything was perfectly normal no heart palpitations or anything like that or an irregular heartbeat

i think he prescribed it for me to help me clam down abit

im only 18 so im not sure if i should be tkaing this stuff nobody will tell me anything at the clinic shtye just say its perfectly fine to take them

im on 80mg how much does your dad take each day kyzler?

20. masterchiefx2

masterchiefx2 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 280 Sli
    'Deterioration of heart failure' whats this mean plz?

'Worsening of the skin condition psoriasis'

these ones worry me what do these do in lamens terms?

ah shyte these sound ****ty side effects i might take em for a few months then come off them

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.