Mafia 2 Thread

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by GT40Nutcase, Aug 21, 2007.

1. AlxFitz

AlxFitz Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970GTX
    I thought I'd Dig my copy out of Mafia to have a go now I have been reminded (you have to install in in safe mode for xp SP2 and then takes about half an hour).

Installed the unlimited view distance mod which lets you see buildings from across the river which is pretty cool although it does stutter a little bit.

Forgot how difficult the race bit is even on easy, I could only complete it with my steering wheel, even with an analogue gamepad I kept spinning out.

Its still fairly good fun but once you've got used to semi decent physics for NPCs in games the gun fights are not so impressive. Its aged better than Deus Ex 2 tho which is another game i tried again, I cant believe I liked it at the time, it truly is a load of pants and that has a sort of limited physics engine in it.

I can verify it is BE BE, BE DE BE DEE with a bit of BE BE, DE BE BE, BE BE BE BA BOO thrown in!

Last edited: Apr 11, 2008
  2. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire NITRO+ RX480 4GB
    Looks like it uses the same graphics engine as GTA IV :)

3. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    imo it looks a hell of alot better than GTA IV. The graphics in the new GTA really arent all that tbh. I thought they were a bit underwealming from the screen shots, but i had the chance to play the game last weekend and it really wasnt the graphical improvement i thought it'd be.

Mafia, on the other hand, looks stunning.

4. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT
    Have u seen those nice GTA IV textures from early 2000?

With jaggies on en.. looks bull****.

5. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Any news on the development of this title? Really looking forward to it! Loved the first one... as you can see from my Don name ;)

6. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
  7. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I haven't seen them before. Looks freaking ace! So many beautiful cars!

8. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
  9. AlxFitz

AlxFitz Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970GTX
    Looks pretty snazzo, always thought the first one was classier than GTA at the time and it looks like this one will be too now.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
  10. smull

smull Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5770 1GB
    I also think Mafia put GTA to shame. Tried Vice City after i finished Mafia and i couldn't take it.

11. Flopster

Flopster Banned

GPU:
    Club3D 8600GTS 256MB
    Wonder what's the system requirements on this...
    Probably something my pc can't handle.

12. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Mafia was a beautiful game.

Baught it when it first came out and played it to death, always been a huge fan of Gangster movies.

Mafia had the same sort of story as Goodfellas, however this one seems to be going for the characters, the obvious Robert De Niro rip off in the pictures, looks fab!

I believe 2K use their own in-house engine for this game, and yeah it looks absolutely stunning and it would be a pleasure to buy this game once again ^^ Can't wait.

Only another year to go :( Already been waiting years anyway so another won't hurt!

13. AlxFitz

AlxFitz Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970GTX
    It's meant to be out by October 2009 so I read. Dunno about a quad-core but you'll need a hefty graphics card to play it.

14. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I'll probably get a completelly new rig, with a quad core, 4gb ram and a 260 or 280 gpu... These should be around £600 by then...

15. fiskadoro

fiskadoro Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 460 Superclocked
    I really enjoyed the first Mafia game so I dug out my old copy and tried to install it, but I get a whole bunch of "Unsupported 16-Bit Application" error messages on Vista 64 Business. I think it's trying to install some old codec or something. Tried installing in Win XP compatibility mode too but no joy. Bummer :(

Any thoughts on how to get this to install appreciated!

16. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Not sure about you, but mine seemed to begin installing fine, however my CD1 is a fooked and so it couldnt read from the disk a bit of the way through install.

This is on Vista Ultimate x64, no compatibility options set.

17. Templ

Templ Guest

Don Salieri sends his regards...

18. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    I was devastated when Tommy got shot :(

19. AlxFitz

AlxFitz Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970GTX
    I don't think your disk is mucked up, it happens with everyone trying to install the game whether on xp (SP1 or beyond) or Vista, as I remember it would stall on copying a large data file. I dunno if it work on Vista if you did manage to get it on your system tho.

MANUAL INSTALL GUIDE (I think this is the way I did it, I'm not sure) : EDIT I scrubbed the link cos it wasn't the right way, I'll have to come back on this.

If you manage it you can tinker about with the mods like the draw distance one which I think I mentioned earlier on in this thread.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
  20. AlxFitz

AlxFitz Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970GTX
    YAARG, I remember now, it must be installed in safe mode. I'm not sure if you have to do anything else (compatibility mode or copying entire disk then installing) but that is the way. Bear in mind, xp was out when Mafia was released so how this has broken over time is anyones guess.