found a huge bug in vista , FPS seeminly doubled after fixing

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by adrock311, Dec 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adrock311

adrock311 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8gb
    HI i originally posted this in the ATI drivers section, because i'm running a radeon 4870 with vista but i figured this may be happening with some nvidia cards too so i decided to post here...

i read on another message board about a vista bug that appears in control panel -> system -> performance -> advanced tools

check if there is any yellow exclamation point talking about reduce visual settings under performance issues , if there is , select the second option to get it to disappear - something like 'do not show again' , BAM games are 100% smoother for me now, crysis warhead and far crys incredible performance increase

good luck!

2. BIGWORM

BIGWORM Guest

GPU:
    Sparkle GTX 260 SP216
    Hmmm. I found that on my setup right now.

Option that's needed to be selected is 'Remove from list'

I'll give this a shot later. Thanks!

3. ajua

ajua Guest

GPU:
    XFX HD5850 Black Edition
    I don't really think it will enhance the performance, but it doesn't hurt to dismiss that warning anyway.

4. kalispimenta

kalispimenta Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX @680X1030MHZ
    What?Where?How?

5. Digibetus

Digibetus Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super 8GB
    If you ever used a media player which had to switch the vista look to 'basic'
    you will have this warning listed. It's nothing more, nothing less, just a warning.

6. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Exactly. Nothing more nothing less than a warning. So this is not a bug or a fix. :p

7. pmrdij

pmrdij Member

GPU:
    XFX 4870 1GB/XFX 4890 1GB
    adrock311 --> could you validate your thread title by supplying FPS before and after numbers please?

- Robert (PmR)DeathInJune

8. dabrooks

dabrooks Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA GTX 980Ti Gaming
    As others have said, THERE IS NO FIX HERE.

Following the advice given one is simple acknowledging Vista advice on how to modify visual settings (old news suggestions) and then removing the warning from the list. Nothing more. NO changes are being made, the user has to manually make these changes if he wants to use any of the suggestions that were given.

Any perceived framerate change is either a placedo effect or because of some other change(s) having been made.

9. pmrdij

pmrdij Member

GPU:
    XFX 4870 1GB/XFX 4890 1GB
    don't get me wrong i think this is not likely to accomplish anything in terms of FPS improvement but based on the thread title and post i'd like to see some figures and/or screenshots of the before and after that prove the claim true. until then this is to be filed in the bs dept. as others and yourself have said.

- Robert (pMr)dEATHiNjUNE

10. linyanti

linyanti Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 1080 GTX Founders C
    Windows Aero and Windows DreamScene, I think

As I recall, I was presented with this notice after a videocard crash.

I think that it suggested that I turn off Windows DreamScene and Windows Aero effects. A wild guess is that Windows may have thought that the crash was related to these settings.

I stopped using Windows DreamScene but still have the Aero effects on.

Adrock 311, I see that you have 6 GB of memory so you probably have Vista 64. Do you also have Ultimate? If not, then it may be something else since I think only Vista Ultimate has DreamScene and Aero.

11. dabrooks

dabrooks Master Guru

GPU:
    Only Vista Ultimate includes DreamScene but Aero is available on all but Vista Home Basic.

12. Shaythong

Shaythong Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA / 7150M / 128mb
    Is this true? :wanker:

13. dabrooks

dabrooks Master Guru

GPU:
    Which? Info from the original post? No.

14. Hog54

Hog54 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Tuf RTX 3070
    I found a bigger performance fix.Get rid of vista.:banana:

15. cmdrdredd

cmdrdredd Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 SLI @ 1240/6772
    :rolleyes:

Vista is the same as XP in terms of gaming performance now. Using antiquated software is for suckers.

16. Hog54

Hog54 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Tuf RTX 3070
    Ya vista is great.I built a new computer for my son for xmas and he wanted vista ultimate in it so i did.After installing it I went to Asus to download the newest drivers for the motherboard and made sure they were for vista 64.Guess what?out of 5 drivers i tried install 3 of them said i had incompatible operating system.That never happened to me before in 8 years of building.You can keep your piece of crap vista.:banana:

17. Major Melchett

Major Melchett Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    Ahh so because you failed at being able to download the right drivers (i'll bet user error on this one) that makes Vista crap? (you maybe think it could be an Asus problem for instance?), a year ago i would agree, today not a chance, today Vista is the better OS and that's a fact.

18. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Please. Not another XP vs. Vista thread. Besides that, the bug fix doesn't seem to work anyway either...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.