9600GSO Fan Speed 100% continuous

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by Agentzero, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Agentzero

Agentzero New Member

GPU:
    XFX 9600 GSO
    All-

I'm new to Rivatuner. I would not have found/used it if it weren't for the new 9600GSO I picked up for my VMC rig. Here's the deal: The fan runs 100% all day...it's loud, and quite annoying...not to mention, the toughest thing that machine does all day is media center, and sitting at 42*, I see no need for 100% fan at all.

I have installed Rivatuner 2.20 with Forceware 180.48 (i think). I followed the article for setting up the fan controls etc...but to no avail. I do NOT have the checkbox for "enable low level fan control"...only a dropdown for auto/manual and the only slider that works is the 3D slider. Also, I was not able to set any threshholds on core temp for different fan profiles to activate....they just weren't there.

So long story short, I have no control over the fan speed...I can't change it. I have tried the 173.23 (I think) forceware drivers- which did not change anything. Am I missing something? Is there some advanced setting that I need to enable, etc?

Vista Ultimate x64

Any information, or articles, or anything for me to read up....any help is appreciated. Thanks!

2. monalac

monalac Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 260 - Core216
    Kill the fan!! :p lolz just kidding. Vista X64 could be the problem. ill just check by my side and post back

3. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

If it runs 100% all the time then it is not controlable via software almost with 100% warranty.

4. Agentzero

Agentzero New Member

GPU:
    XFX 9600 GSO
    Yea...I'd like to. I really don't want to get an aftermarket cooler of some kind...and it really can't be a dual slot cooler...just don't have the real estate in that case.

When I first installed Rivatuner, it did give the message about signed drivers in x64, but I allowed that and got it installed after a reboot...

5. Agentzero

Agentzero New Member

GPU:
    XFX 9600 GSO
    Then I'd assume that it would be the GPU BIOS doing this? How does one fix that??? :bang:

6. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Wrong assumption. If BIOS could control fan speed, software could do it too.

7. Agentzero

Agentzero New Member

GPU:
    XFX 9600 GSO
    Ahhh..a non-variable fan with a constant non-variable voltage to it. Time for a different card. Thanks Unwinder!

8. BlackPearl

BlackPearl Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800GS 384Mb
    I had the same annoying problem with my XFX 8800GS (same GPU). XFX sent a short, presumably resistive, cable to place between the fan connector and the board's fan power jack. In a well-ventilated case it significantly reduced fan noise and didn't increase temperatures much. Not as good as a variable speed solution, but effective and free.

9. Agentzero

Agentzero New Member

GPU:
    XFX 9600 GSO
    Ended up returning the GSO and picked up an evga 8800GT...the fan idles down immediatly after POST. It's great! Thanks again for the help!