RivaTuner and GTA IV

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by Unwinder, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Problem description: incorrect rendering in GTA IV on NVIDIA hardware(missing textures)
    Problem background: opening <Textures> tab in RivaTuner's Direct3D settings window then closing it (even without changing the settings) disables some FourCC formats support in NVIDIA driver (INTZ/RAWZ). GTA IV cannot work properly if these formats are not supported by the driver.
    Temporary solution: use RivaTuner's <Reset all the driver's settings to their default values> button to re-enable these FourCC formats. Reboot is required to apply the changes. If you don't have RivaTuner installed or if you used any other tweaking tool to alter supported formats list then just start RegEdit and search and delete all D3D_54082152 registry entries. Reboot is required to apply the changes.
    Until new RivaTuner version release please avoid opening <Textures> tab, because it will disable required FourCC formats again.
    Full solution: New version of RivaTuner will add INTZ/RAWZ to editable list of supported FourCC formats.

I'd like to thank Josh, Kevin and Oscar @ Rockstar for quick problem report and for cooperative problem investigation. From my experience, I rarely see game developers that care about compatibility with third party software. I really wish all game developers to have such professional attitude to quality control.

2. Vood007

Vood007 Master Guru

GPU:
    Too
    Nice, thanks for the infos. I just came here to ask about a possible problem with rt related to missing textures in GTA4 :)

3. shaggeyman39

shaggeyman39 Member Guru

GPU:
    2 X 4850 705Clock 1150Mem
    very nice of rockstar

4. Unwinder

I decided to change RT release schedule and launch new version with GTA IV workaround right now. v2.21 will be available in Guru3D downloads within a hour. The rest changes are minor and include:

Version 2.21:

Minor bugfixes:

- FOURCC INTZ and RAWZ formats are no longer forcibly disabled on GeForce 6 and newer display adapters when closing the 'Textures' tab in Direct3D tweaks dialog. Please take a note that these formats are required for proper GTA IV functionality, so if you experience problems with missing textures in this game on NVIDIA GeForce 6 and newer display adapters then please try to open the 'Textures' tab and press the 'Defaults' button.
    - Fixed 'Restore after suspended mode' option in low-level fan control tab, corrupted in the previous release due to multi-GPU related core changes.

What's new:

- Updated databases for Detonator and ForceWare drivers. Added databases for ForceWare 180.60, 180.70 and 180.84.
    - Added Catalyst 8.12 driver family detection.
    - Added 'Enable FOURCC INTZ surfaces' and 'Enable FOURCC RAWZ surfaces' options to the 'Textures' tab of the Direct3D tweaks dialog.
    - 'Restore after suspended mode' option in low-level fan control tab is multi-GPU oriented now. Now the option affects all display adapters in the system instead of currently selected display adapter only.
    - 'Allow separate 2D/3D clock frequency adjustment' option is no longer provided when enabling driver-level hardware overclocking. The option is now hidden to reduce the amount of false bugreports posted by the beginners trying to disable 2D/3D clock frequncy then claiming that the hardware stays at extremely low boot clocks. Power users can still control this option via AllowMaxPerf registry entry.
    - Extended list of detectable supported FOURCC formats in 'IDirect3D9 HAL adapter formats' diagnostic report category.

5. Grendel_66

Grendel_66 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    Thanks man !

6. Rillipiru

Rillipiru Master Guru

GPU:
    660 ti 2GB
    Thank you so much. I just moved to nvdia to ati and two of my favorite games are GTA IV and BF2 mod PR 0.8.

But, CCC wont support vsync in BF2 and i just cant play without it. If i want to override it with 3D3 i lose textures in GTA IV.

I was gonna go buy me 260 216sp, but now i dont have to...

Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
  7. Unwinder

You're misunderstanding something. 2.21 is not supposed to help you, it addresses texture issues on NVIDIA systems only by adding new texture format related options to "Textures" tab.

8. Rillipiru

Rillipiru Master Guru

GPU:
    660 ti 2GB
    Ok, but i have same kind of problems...with GTA IV. Didnt have before, but after 3D3 some textures are missing. Could be some other reasons, but after 3D3, they started.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
  9. Unwinder

Sorry but you problems are 100% offtopic here. And I'd like to ask everyone with non-NVIDIA hardware having some OTHER problems with GTA IV to stop posting here.

10. thales100

thales100 Master Guru

GPU:
    3-way SLI GTX 480
    Thanks a lot !! :banana:

11. DrSiN

DrSiN Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 560 Ti OC 1G
    I'd like to take the opportunity to thank unwinder for the update , it's resolved the issues I have.