Windows 7

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by cockneysean, Oct 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I'm pretty sure it doesn't have a GUI. It was an extremely research oriented project, basically just to see if it could be done. The whole thing is mostly written in managed code, C# I believe - actually maybe its an extension of C#, I forget.

Also try Virtual Box, that should work in Vista Home.. although I can't see why Virtual PC wouldn't. I like VB better anyway.

2. Ratix

Ratix Active Member

GPU:
    radeon 9600 xt
    Is it true that games performances on windows 7 are even better than on windows XP?
    And is it true that windows 7 will only be 64 bit (i really hope so)?

3. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    It's not 64 bit only. Game performance on Vista is better then XP in some cases. Since 7 is in beta it is yet to be known how it performs.

4. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    No GUI, just the Shell you see. For now it's mainly just the low level stuff.
    Did you try installing it ? Think you should try if you haven't because some people say they can install it just fine. I tried installing Singularity on VMWare and it didn't work for me. The Singularity ISO is accompanied by an "Singularity RDK 2.0.Virtual PC 2007.vmc" file used to get it running, but VMWare didn't like it (it does support .vmc files but this one it didn't like). I think you can make it run on VMWare but i didn't bother looking into it.

I'm sure adding more code made the system bigger, but the builds before the reset (M1,M2,M3) was in my opinion horrible. Also all the builds had debugging code in them which always makes things run slower. But if you had a positive experience with it who am i to tell you different.

Sing#/Spec#

But they still use some assembly code and some C.

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Yes, I did try installing it....it gives a nag screen about attempting to install on the wrong version of Windows. I click on "Ok" and it continues trying to install....then the installer freezes and Vista crashes. Same effect you get when doing something stupid...like trying to accomplish something important on WinME.

6. UnrealGaming

UnrealGaming Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Microsoft Windows 7 32Bit Build 6801 DVD (c) Microsoft is out... so ... its not 64bit only... ( 64bit version is out too )

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    MS did promise to deliver a "64bit only" version of Windows....but it'll be at least 1 more version away. Really no reason to drop the 32bit version with Windows7 being that they already had the 32bit kernel for it. We'll have to wait and see if Windows8 gets a 32bit version.....though it would probably be a bit senseless as 64bit systems will have been on the market for at least 8-10 years at that point and most people will have bought one.

8. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    I think they should have went with 64-bit windows 7 only. Why am i saying this is because i've seen that a lot of people buy and use 64-bit OS. I guess Microsoft can keep the 32-bit OS but sell it to big companies that do not need to upgrade their systems for a 64-bit OS.

9. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    What exactly do you mean by out ? And 6801 is pretty "old" by now, that's the build in this thread if you had bothered to read it ;) (6801.0.080913-2030).

Windows 7 Builds List
    http://www.aeroxp.org/board/index.php?showtopic=10706

Windows 7 Build 695x revealed at WinHEC 2008 China
    http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=705184

WinHEC China 2008
    http://focus.it168.com/200810/winhec/index.html

Windows 7 695x Boot Screen Video
    http://chris123nt.com/2008/12/03/windows-7-build-695x-boot-screen-video/

6948.fbl_shell_dex.081112-1755
    http://www.jcxp.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=31546

Windows 7: Build 6936
    http://winfuture.de/news,43634.html
    http://winfuture.de/screenshots/Windows-7-Build-6.1.6936-3640-1.html

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Not all consumers are prepared to jump on the "64bit bandwagon" just yet. 64bit Vista's market share is very small compared to 32bit Vista's market share. It would really make little sense to force a solely 64bit OS on consumers while the majority of software is still 32bit requiring emulation to run in Vista64. Honestly, I expected 64bit systems to catch on like 32bit systems did. When Intel released their 486DX line of processors, MS initially ignored the fact that they were 32bit processors. With Wi***, MS decided 32bit was the "way of the future" and released a 32bit versions of Windows95 and the rest of the industry followed suit. Why it's taking so long for 64bit to catch on....just makes me wonder if the industry is really ready for it or if they're tired of innovation. (One thing Vista should have propelled with no effort at all given all the complains about system performance.)

11. AnthraxPants

AnthraxPants Banned

GPU:
    XFX 4890HD 1GB
    Business executives/board members are too tight to part with cash for anything they don't understand and think they know better than the Techs. Building networks for some guys is like pulling teeth! They just won't listen.

12. macdaddy

macdaddy Guest

GPU:
    TITAN X
    Well i got windows 7 installed x64. Some problems with drivers especially intel chipset drivers for my x48 won't install at all. This in affects my razer mouse i think as the drivers for the razer install but no mouse detected so i get no settings for mouse just point and click fwd and bck buttons dont work middle scolling ok. I also need a dual monitor program which i use ultramon but as with the new taskbar ultramon crashes. I see that a BETA build of windows has been leaked or released but all i found is 32bit. Waiting for 64bit. Also the tried everything to remove the watermark on the 64bit nothing works.

13. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    No beta build has been released, not even internally. They are all still pre-beta. A newer pre-beta version has been leaked though.

14. macdaddy

macdaddy Guest

GPU:
    TITAN X
    version 6956 is a beta build its been leaked

15. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    No it's not, it's a pre-beta build. Paul Thurrott has an even newer build that's still pre-beta. They haven't moved to the beta stages yet.

16. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    when they change to beta do you think they will change the GUI completely?

17. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    No. The GUI changes are complete. Pretty much everyone who used it is happy with the usability. But what you were probably referring to was its look. I'm sure they'll probably have a few artists go through and touch it up a bit and make it look more appealing.

[​IMG]

It doesn't look too bad currently. They have made it a tad bit darker over the builds.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2008
  18. macdaddy

macdaddy Guest

GPU:
    TITAN X
    I really need to get the intel chipset to install. My card reader is useless it doesnt detect it. Also getting crashing problems with explorer and certain programs. Some encoding software wont run the best of them all ConvertX is no go. I hope that microsoft is still supporting the 6801 build with the updates hopefully fix some of the problems. Codec packs are not integrating with WMP.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2008
  19. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    MS isn't "supporting" any pre-beta builds. They're strictly for testing and debugging purposes. They were never intended for "production environments". MS isn't going to release a bunch of patches for people who are running W7 that aren't supposed to have it to start with.

20. macdaddy

macdaddy Guest

GPU:
    TITAN X
    We will see. I will stick with it for a bit longer will soon test games on it. Only major problem for me is daemon tools wont install on it, but then again if someone knows how to get daemon working on it let me know

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.