The Guru3D Grand Theft Auto IV (PC) Thread

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Cartman372, Dec 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GT40Nutcase

GT40Nutcase Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward HD 4870 1GB
    This release is a disaster :infinity:

I mean the game works on some systems pretty well and on some it runs like crap. Then there are guys who say that their game runs better on high settings than on low settings etc. ..... well overall the game doesn't run like it supposed to run and R* is giving bull about "the game is made for future systems" :3eyes:

It's just isn't optimized at all.... why it's so hard to admit? :uhoh:

And then these Live and Social Club things... god... R* has gone mad I say :)

Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  2. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    Well, im getting error code RESC10 along with a CTD. See from the error list that this is due to running out of video memory, however I find that kinda odd considering the settings Im using come to a total of 950mb out of 1gb, and the game runs absolutely fine with no probs.

I only get the error when its loading a mission, and even then it doesn't do it every time. Just driving around the city is fine, and i can do quite happily for hours.

I find it really odd that this game needs more than 1gb to run at decent settings. I only have the view distance to 28 out of 100 FFS! The graphics would be nice if it had AA support (right now it looks like a jagged mess) but its no crysis or FC2, and both of those (particularly crysis) have loads of detail and great draw distance and run with no problems on my rig.

Dont know what Rockstar was thinking when they developed this game engine!!!

3. kitch9

kitch9 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    It is optimised, its using all of my cores at around 80% constantly. The dual core guys will have to accept lower settings than the quad core guys thats all. The only time a dual core guy will notice a shorter view distance is in the chopper, so no real biggie.

I think Rockstar just labelled their settings wrong. They should have capped some of the settings with a big performance warning if you wanted to unlock it further. (View distance especially.)

There is no need for 100 traffic density, its one big traffic jam and not fun. I've dropped it to 70, not for performance reasons but playability reasons. This could have been capped too.

4. AnthraxPants

AnthraxPants Banned

GPU:
    XFX 4890HD 1GB
    Maybe the whiz bang super duper copy protection is responsible for the brilliant performance?

5. thales100

thales100 Master Guru

GPU:
    3-way SLI GTX 480
    Bah cant wait to get my copy , im curious to check how well i will be able to run this game, maybe v distance set to 40, traffic desity to 70 and all rest to max.

:)

6. Davo9

Davo9 Banned

GPU:
    4850 1 gig
    If your system can't run it well then there's no hope for the rest of humanity.

7. dobbs2010

dobbs2010 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX470 @800/1600/2000
    I have exactly the same problem, I've tried all sorts, different drivers 180.48 and 180.43, I've tried uninstalling rivatuner as that was rumoured to cause problems, nothing is working.

8. max883

max883 Banned

GPU:
    Asus 780Ti SLi
    [​IMG]

all we can do is to wait for next year.... or the next cople off monts

9. masterchiefx2

masterchiefx2 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 280 Sli
    ok it arrived lets see what all the fuss is about

10. GT40Nutcase

GT40Nutcase Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward HD 4870 1GB
    Im glad to hear that... And Im not whining that this game should run smooth on every systems... just that maybe it's optimized badly so it's using a lot of your core but resulting in nothing...
    Compared to PS3 and Xbox360 versions.. PC version is strangely optimized... if at all. Performance differs soo much... That shadow glitch for example: fps skips from 40 to 400 or 600....

I don't know, it seems so weird that it demands so much power.. reminds me of Crysis. :)

Last edited: Dec 4, 2008

11. masterchiefx2

masterchiefx2 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 280 Sli
    yummm secureom is making its way onto my clean os install great :thumbup:

12. Abrams

Abrams Master Guru

GPU:
    9800 gtx+/8850m gddr5
    How would it run on my system here when I have max res of 1440x900?

And ofc...no way its playable with at least 2xAA?

13. masterchiefx2

masterchiefx2 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 280 Sli
    apparently the game has major issues with everything it probably run 1280 with settings on low its harsh but thats the reality

14. max883

max883 Banned

GPU:
    Asus 780Ti SLi
    gta 4 is missing textures!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. Abrams

Abrams Master Guru

GPU:
    9800 gtx+/8850m gddr5

wth??

How come?? Thats like normal thing or recondized as dumb-a** port?

16. GT40Nutcase

GT40Nutcase Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward HD 4870 1GB
    Have you heard of Definition Toggle (activates by pressing P -button)?

I've heard people talking that game looks smoother when you activate that "PS3" mode.. :)

17. Ade 1

Ade 1 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 690
    Me too. Spent 8 hours downloading from Steam too. Gutted! They're saying remove rivatuner/nhancer and/or uninstall/reinstall nvidia drivers but I'm loathed to do that just to see if it fixes the problem.

Gonna shelve it and wait to see if any fixes are released. Back to Dead Space!

18. bozotheclown

bozotheclown Master Guru

GPU:
    2x8800GTS512@stock
    I play GTA4 without a problem on my PC. The only crappy thing is that SLI doesn't help and that there is no AA. The performance at 1920x1200 is just fine, no lag.

I run Newsleecher in the background for downloading at 18Mbit whilst gaming, I run Zune for playing my own music in the background and MSN is running in the background as well as Outlook, Symantec Endpoint, Photoshop CS4 is in the background too most of the time as well as Chrome.

19. GT40Nutcase

GT40Nutcase Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward HD 4870 1GB
    :) This is what I mean by a disaster!

You have pretty average system since the SLi is out of count and you have quite good performance in GTA IV. Meanwhile some guys with far better systems are getting much worse performance... :dead:

Maybe they wanna force us into using those quads..conspiracy I say! :nerd:

20. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    Well, Bit-tech have just published their review of the game...

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/2008/12/04/grand-theft-auto-iv-pc/1

They are much more honest about the shortfalls of it than a lot of other reviewers have been!

Ive just installed the Cat 8.12 beta's and got a nice 5fps boost in the benchmark (now 61fps adv - very decent, at 1920x1200). But im still getting the RESC10 video memory crash, despite lowering my view distance to 24, and the resource monitor now showing 900/1000mb being used. Very frustrating!

One good thing though, social club no longer gives me the MMA10 error when I load the game after being logged in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.