What boost in FPS does a higher core clock really give?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Scrumdiddly, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Scrumdiddly

Scrumdiddly Active Member

GPU:
    eVGA 7950GT KO Superclocked
    Since card companies like to release 50 different versions of every card each with different core clocks, you always wonder how much performance gain you're paying that extra money for, don't ya?

Specifically, the GTX 260 216 cards...

You can get the "low end" cards stock at 576Mhz
    Then, you can go all out and get an XFX Black Edition at 666Mhz for about $50 more.

With some of the most popular games out now like FSX, COD4, FarCry2, Crysis, whatever the game may be, what kind of performance gain would one get from the super clocked cards than one with the stock speeds?

Don't say "Just buy a stock one and overclock it." I know I can do that, but that's not what I'm asking.

2. UnrealGaming

UnrealGaming Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Its always better to buy pre-overclocked version since they always use tested quality boards for those cards. And of course with that kinda card you can overclock even further and get even better performance... So , yes pre overclocked/quality editions are almost always the best choice.

3. clairvoyant129

clairvoyant129 Active Member

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX 480 SC+
    I agree with the above poster. Most people will tell you to buy the stock versions and just overclock, however, pre-overclocked video cards have been tested and will almost always guarantee better overclocks over the stock versions. But everything depends on the price.

4. Foes

Foes Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-Sli 260's

5. Reciprocity

Reciprocity Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3090 X Trio
    I know it's my second post here, so I'm going to try to start off on a good note ;)

Personally, I never regard a factory overclock of a card to be a significant purchasing point. In my experience, I've never seen a night-and-day performance increase. There are just so many other factors that go into a card's performance aside from the clock speeds.

I think it really all depends on how far you want to push the card and how much you're willing to spend to that end...assuming you're going for a superclocked (e.g. BFG's OCX line) spending the extra 50 bucks or whatever it might be on a superclocked card is giving you less of a margin to play with, even if you upgrade the cooling solution you're still likely to be at the higher end of the overclocking threshold of the card. I think we'd all be willing to agree that the default clock out of the box, whether OC'd or not, is never good enough and we all end up trying to find that absolute maximum clock at some point or another.

I'd much rather invest that money spent on the factory overclock towards a superior card, even if it's stock, you're still giving yourself the option to overclock it later - even if it means being patient to save up the extra $100-$200 to throw at the bigger, badder card.

6. clairvoyant129

clairvoyant129 Active Member

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX 480 SC+
    Um, those overclocks are total crap. If you are going to buy a BFG OCX, I would just save money and buy the stock version. The TC asked for the XFX Black Edition (666MHz), not BFG whimpy (590MHz) overclock edition.

7. Foes

Foes Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-Sli 260's
    umm..maybe you need to read a little deeper
    BFG GeForce GTX 260 OCX MAXCORE
    Memory: 896MB GDDR3
    Core Clock: 648MHz (vs. 576MHz standard)
    Shader Clock: 1404MHz (vs. 1242MHz standard)
    Memory Data Rate: 2250MHz (vs. 1998MHz standard)
    Processor Cores: 216 (vs. 192 standard)

8. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    Well I strickly buy Asus brand video cards and with Asus they have there [TOP] overclocked series. I have found that there reference models overclock just as high as the [TOP] versons. And actualy the cooling usually is the same on both. As for actual performance? Hmm.. hard to really say, it would be game to game frame rate wise and to be perfectly honest not enough to justify the difference in price.

Good example is I have a reference Asus 9600GT with a stock clock of 650core/1625shader/1800memory. I can OC with no problems 725core/1700shader/2000memory which puts it [TOP] speeds. Both versions use Asus big Glaciator Fansink. Here is a pic of the reference card:

[​IMG]

Now the [TOP: [​IMG]

Same cooling same setup....

9. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    In answer to the original question I would say it depends on the game. High core clock = faster geometry processing in high polygon count situations. Some games are more shader based, so overclocking the shader would be more beneficial.

10. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    Yup, agree with above poster.

11. Roft

Roft Member Guru

GPU:
    Zotac AMP! GTX 480
    I see a pretty night and day difference with my clocks. Well maybe more like night and dusk. It's all about being able to clock GPU/Shader/Memory.

I don't know if the $50 extra is worth it though. I know you said you didn't want the response of "Buy a stock card and OC", but honestly that's the best bang for your buck. Buy stock, OC as high as you can and put the extra $50 away for a future high end card purchase. That $50 will do more for you in the future.

Of course, I'm well above the High end BFG pre OC clocks. So I could be biased, but I've always bought stock and OCed high. The extra cash never seemed to be good value.

12. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    overclocking gives higher minimum frame rates so i have seen.

13. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    i agree with morb. when i add more shader i get more fps.

when im at 1550 ill get more..changing the core and mem dont seem to do much. 720/1200 is max i can go.

but if the overclocked versions enable to reach higher shaders then i'd say they are worth it.

14. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    That's funny, my 8800gt gets just a little boost from shader oc'ing. When I up the core though I get a huge boost. But then again going from 625 to 756 is a big jump. My shaders go from 15?? to 1890.

15. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2008

16. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    from my experience, i never got average of more than a few fps's from oc'ing a video card as far as i could push it. i think 10fps was the fastest oc on a game i benchmarked.

i did once, get 24 fps boost just by switching to high priority in Thief 3

17. Roft

Roft Member Guru

GPU:
    Zotac AMP! GTX 480
    With Riva tuner you can independently clock shader core and GPU core. The only limitation being that on the GTX's, your GPU core cannot clock any higher than 1/2 what your shader core is.

For example, if you can clock your shade core to 1400 your max clock on your GPU would be 700. But then there is the whole crystal state tech going on and that means that you have to fiddle around with the clocks to see wich one will stick. 700 may not take on the GPU, but 702 will. But if you can't get your shader core above 1400 then you may not be able to hit the 702 mark.

I hope that all made sense.

18. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    It absolutely made sense. I suspected as much but I haven't really messed around with overclocking for quite a while. Thanks for your response!

19. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    I use the Precision tuner from EVGA. Much cleaner and simpler than using the the Riva Tuner. BTW, you cannot set a 700 mhz core clock. You can set
    694 and 702 as long as your shader is at least slightly more than 2x your core clock. Another thing which you touched on is that your shader frequency stepping is is 54mhz. So from a shader clock of 1350, the next one you can use is 1404 next after that is 1458. Okay now that everyone is confused....

20. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    If that confuses anyone they have no place overclocking anything really...