my 4850 experience

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by wh3resmycar, Nov 20, 2008.

1. wh3resmycar

wh3resmycar Member

GPU:
    inno3d ichill 9600gt
    hey guys, i just got myself a very juicy 4850 yesterday (along with a copy of cod5). dang it was blazing fast compared to my old 9600gt. but then again ATI is giving me the same old experience with the 9600pro that i got a few years back - super fast / super instability.

i noticed that my RAM usage got a bit higher (3gb installed, had virtual memory turned off), caused Crysis Warhead tons of crashes. but i was able to fixed it by killing oracleDB that was running on the background. it made me play @ the enthusiast level somewhere around 25fps, that put a big smile on my face.

i noticed some irritating glitch with cod4, too when you try to pitch down, you'll see a very freaky choppiness.

then i tested how it will perform with race driver grid, i had it all on the maximum detail settings (w/ vysnc on). sure it was fast the first 5 seconds but then it crashes after. err what should i do?

my guess is that this error mustve been causing the crash. this is @ startup

[​IMG]

i read that you need to use driver cleaner pro when you're switching from an nvidia to an ati card, but DCP is not free anymore (sucks). so i used guru3d's driver sweeper instead.

i run it the first time and it had no errors. since the crashes was still haunting me i decided to run it again.

[​IMG]

and it gave me this:

[​IMG]

theres 2 more registry entries that has something to do with nvidia, is it causing my race driver grid crashes?
    how do i fix the rundll errors at startup? please no "REFORMAT" suggestions, thats not plausible.

specs:

q6600 @ 3.0ghz
    3gbRAM
    p5k-se
    hd4850
    vx450
    catalyst 8.11

i tried updating the game. i also tried reinstalling my old colin mcrae dirt game, dirt ran fine.

2. Fri4rTuck

Fri4rTuck Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 580GTX Twin Frozr II
    When you ran driver sweeper, did you do it in safe mode?

3. wh3resmycar

wh3resmycar Member

GPU:
    inno3d ichill 9600gt
    i think i didnt. am i in trouble?

anyway..im having tons of memory leaks with cat 8.11 + crysis warhead. its giving me a headache.

im itching to have it replaced with a 9800gt 1gb. it may not be that fast buts its darn more stable i guess.

4. wh3resmycar

wh3resmycar Member

GPU:
    inno3d ichill 9600gt
    is it also possible to adjust the fan speeds when im only using the "Driver only" version?

5. Quicks

Quicks Guest

GPU:
    Red Devil RX 470 / 4GB
    Yes from 8.10 and up you can adjust the fan speed through the driver.

Must say the stock cooler is sh!t had to put on an aftermarket cooler.

Otherwise 4850 is a good card not bad not the best but gets the job done. without any mayor problems.

played farcry 2, fallout 3, crysis etc any major game.

6. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    You are asking for problems if you have virtual memory turned off.

7. InfDaMarvel

InfDaMarvel Guest

GPU:
    HD3850 256mb
    Why dont you just go and delete all those files that are related to Nvidia manually.
    Somtimes its complicated switching from one brand to the next if you dont remove drivers Correctly.

Personally Id advise you to remove ati and nvidia drivers completely once again with the uninstall utilities that they give you.

Then Id say restart and use driver sweeper...then restart...and use it again.

Once youve done all that Install Cat 8.11 again automatically.

8. wh3resmycar

wh3resmycar Member

GPU:
    inno3d ichill 9600gt
    i uninstalled everything. im using the the driver only version now (no ccc).. it still crashes. it even crashes cod5 lol, i cant get past the first ambush @ makin atoll.

i might, just might, reformat my PC just to have this 4850 working.

so which is a better scenario for a fresh start?

a. install CCC?
    b. install the driver no ccc version?
    c. install CCC with tray tools
    d. install driver with tray tools?
    e. any another suggestion?

im just dissappointed, my first ati card, a 9600pro was also fast compared to my fx5700 but it had tons of issues. i thought after 5 years ATI might give me a better experience. if after reformatting and it still isnt fixed, i definitely should get the 1gb 9800gt.

9. micmacc

micmacc New Member

GPU:
    ASUS 4850 512MB@750/1050
    i've been using windows with 4GB mem n virtual mem off, so far no problem arises...

10. micmacc

micmacc New Member

GPU:
    ASUS 4850 512MB@750/1050
    if problem persists, a fresh windows is recommended...
    with CCC, we get to tune the GPU settings, otherwise the in-game settings still available...

11. wh3resmycar

wh3resmycar Member

GPU:
    inno3d ichill 9600gt
    i understand that but what im saying is which is a better scenario after a fresh format. i was able to fix cod5 but it messed up crysis warhead

12. InfDaMarvel

InfDaMarvel Guest

GPU:
    HD3850 256mb
    LIke I said...you need to uninstall everything...and I mean everything related to graphics drivers and start over.

13. wh3resmycar

wh3resmycar Member

GPU:
    inno3d ichill 9600gt
    done reformatting. its little more stable now i guess, only one hiccup with crysis warhead, a vpu recover scene.

if this gets messed up again i only have 1 more try to install warhead (securom limit)..

is ati tray tools really that stable??? im second guessing to install that.

14. micmacc

micmacc New Member

GPU:
    ASUS 4850 512MB@750/1050
    i've been using the complete ccc package with no problem...

15. Belz

Belz Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD5870 1GB
    +1 on that

virtual memory is always needed, even if you have 1234578GB of RAM

16. wh3resmycar

wh3resmycar Member

GPU:
    inno3d ichill 9600gt
    never had any memory problems with my 9600gt with VM turned off, but with this 4850 urghhhh..

what about fan control. i dont see nor feel my fan spinning faster with it @ 20% or 100%..

17. micmacc

micmacc New Member

GPU:
    ASUS 4850 512MB@750/1050
    pls explain why need VM if real RAM is sufficient...?