AMD to integrate Stream GPGPU features into Catalyst 8.12

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by CPC_RedDawn, Nov 14, 2008.

1. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Interesting...

read here

quote from article: "12 minutes to convert an hour of 1080p video to a 320 x 240 H.264 file; a job that apparently took three hours, 23 minutes on a 3GHz Core 2 QX9650 CPU with the WinQuickTimeMPEG2 pack."

Pretty nice performance there...

Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  2. v4npro

v4npro Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7900XT
  3. japamd

japamd Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 7970Ghz
    Cool ! So ATI Stream is the AMD iniciative to counter NVIDIA CUDA?

4. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Kind of, this just means that use ATI owners will get more for our money. As AVIVO video converter is free and if it truly uses ALL the performance that say a 4870X2 can handle (1600 stream processor's) it will destroy CUDA.

Hopefully Standford are hard at work with ATI on an new F@H GPU Client. Because at this time the 4000 series is not properly supported. The current client only uses 320 out of a possible 800 stream processors on the 4000 series. And if they get Crossfire supported as well the 4870X2 (1600sp's) will munch up and spit out more PPD than Nvidia's offering.

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I tried to run F@H GPU....but my 4850 couldn't even keep up with my Q6600....I figured it should outperform it by a considerable margin.

6. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    remember that F@H will only be using 320 stream processors out of 800. The drivers and F@H clients do not support the new 4000 chips yet.

7. HamidFULL

HamidFULL Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4850 700/2200
    AAAAAAAA!!! Its Great and Nvidia Killer!

8. randomizer

randomizer Guest

GPU:
    5600 xt Gaming OC
    Wohoo!!Go AMD/ATI

9. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I wonder what's the quality settings.

10. sdamaged99

sdamaged99 Guest

GPU:
    Asus TUF 6800XT
    I would rather ATI put more manpower into fixing game incompatibilities and issues with their graphics cards / crossfirex platform before concentrating on enabling people to encode video using their GPUs

I, like many, bought their cards to play games, not to encode videos onto Ipods or sending my electricity meter into overdrive running Folding@Home

Seems to me like they are rushing to catch up with Nvidia, rather than putting all their resources into testing games and making the 4870x2 the only choice for the guy who wants the best.

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    My HD4850 has no problems running anything I throw at it...except F@H. It is rather obvious that you don't understand the importance of apps like F@H and Boinc. I switched back to ATI for stability, performance and most importantly (and it took this reason to convince my wife I needed to replace a few month old GF 9600GT) F@H compatibility. According to sites I looked at, GeForce cards were supposed to be capable of running F@H but I could never get my 9600GT to run it at all.

12. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    fanboy alert :p

13. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load
    hi people i use conterxtodvd at moment to encode divx(700-1000mb) files to dvd's and it takes between 11-15min on my setup which is fast i think will this app do the same but in SEC'S as this would save me loads of time

14. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Whilst you do have a point, ATI has done all it can with the little resources that it has when compared to Nvidia. They released a hotfix for Far Cry 2, then a few days later a new more stable hotfix. Catalyst 8.11 is without a doubt one of the best and most stable versions I have ever used. And I go all the way back to 6.4 version. Atleast us ATI owners are garenteed a driver updated every month unlike Nvidia owners who dont know when the next "stable" driver will appear. Either in BETA or WHQL form. It just seemed to me when I had my 8800GTX that when ever a new BETA was released they fixed 3 bugs/game fixes but caused 5 more. With ATI they actually fix what matters. For instance people were moaning about the GPU activity bug since Catalyst 8.8 this did not effect game performance at all hence why it was not fixed til 8.11. Just remember that ATI are a smaller company compared to Nvidia.

15. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Hey, I too use this program. Its an awesome program. And I too hope they will use GPGPU instead of the CPU. Though I just converted "Pineapple Express" 700MB AVI file to DVD with menu's and it only too 10 minutes to convert and 5 minutes to burn (x4 mode).

16. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load
    yes i find that depending on the file type its really quick and most films are around the 10-12min mark which is great, thanks for the support and reply mate,

p.s. what is the latest verison of this AVIVO video converter app

17. wiskerbizkit

wiskerbizkit Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850
    Might switch back to ati for this. I think Badaboom is total garbage.

18. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Yeah, I really wish I could of been more help. But I have no idea if VSO will integrate GPGPU into their programs. Just imagine being able to convert a 700MB film in 1 minute or faster... oh, a man can dream... :p

19. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Not too sure, if you have Catalyst 8.11 installed it should be integrated into the "Basic" view. If not just head over to ati.com and you should be able to find it there easily enough.

20. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    as it stands the ati avivo converter is a piece of cr@p supposed to use you gpu to convert requires an x1xxx card rubish it's only ever used the CPU
    as for what version it is it's at 8.11 if that maters

as for convertX to dvd you have the wrong idea about what was said in the ops post take another read and you'll see they talked about converting an HD.avi or mpeg2 file down to and SD resolution so thats 1920x1080i or p down to 320x244 h264 avi woopie do would you want to watch that on your 3000$ 52inch LCD TV um NO!!! shoot i wouldn't evan want to watch it on my 50$ 17inch CRT (ewww)