Overclocking guide and help on Asus P5Q-P45 series Motherboards

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by chispy, Jun 25, 2008.

1. biggerx

biggerx Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070 FTW
    So, now I have a slight problem. EZ Flash doesn't see any of my FAT formated memory sticks with the latest BIOS on it. Any help? I'll be able to burn the BIOS rom file to a CD tomorrow at work so that should fix the problem since EZ Flash sees my disk drive. I really wish Splashtop had a burning program.

2. iris1970

iris1970 Member

GPU:
    sapphire radeon HD 4670
    corsair cm2x 1024 8500C5D

Are these Memries any good
    i have 1gig * 2 =2gig of these memories ver 4.1 XMS2 -8500 1066 mhz
    how is the overclocing wih these memories
    right now running at 1100 mhz with 12:10 ratio my fsb is at 458x8
    when try to higher doesnt work

3. Salm4n

Salm4n Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 295 (H2O)
    LOL just out of curiosity, we have basically the same System, same board, cpu and ram. i'm running my system at 3935Ghz couldnt make it completly stable at 4Ghz because my mems dont wanna go over 1112Mhz even at 2.4v but by lowering the mem divider i reached 4.2Ghz bootable on CPU oc, but since i wanna keep mem bandwidth as high as possible, i stay with 3.9Ghz. still smoking fast.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
  4. Drunkenmasta

Drunkenmasta Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB GTX 260 OC + Acer 26"
    Yeah they are ok :), make sure that the DRAM voltage has been increased. 2.1v - 2.2v max is all that's really needed. I wouldn't push it further than 2.3 unless I was testing them. They would probably take heat ok but it's better to be safe than sorry.

It should be able to go over 1100 MHz if you lower timings. You may need to change it from 5-5-5-15 to 5-6-6-18 ns and see if that helps as well.

Then have another go at a 1:1 ratio. What out for your FSB overclock though, if you max out the CPU's FSB then it just won't boot. Mine does it at 420 FSB + regardless of where I put the strap.

5. IkemenTommy

IkemenTommy Master Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 8800GT 512MB HDMI
    I posted this on another thread but I am getting no reply
    Also, should I change the latency timing to ease off a little for overclocking?

6. angershark

angershark Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD
    I wouldn't get too crazy with the vDimm, especially without any kind of active cooling. Not to mention some ASUS boards are known to overvolt the vDimm quite a bit.

Maybe a bump in NB voltage or less aggressive MCH timings would help with stability a bit. I've found Memset and HCI-Memtest useful for tweaking. Like you said though the cpu could be on the ragged edge.

7. IkemenTommy

IkemenTommy Master Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 8800GT 512MB HDMI
    Is it also common for other users on here to have their virus definition (AVG for me) and Windows Defender go corrupt when you overclock a little too much?

Strangely, this happens to me all the time and I cannot figure out why.

8. biggerx

biggerx Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070 FTW
    Yeah, my RAM doesn't like being overclocked too much either. I only have my RAM taking 2.1v. 3.4Ghz is great for me right now. Nice round numbers (FSB 400 x 8.5), 1600Mhz FSB, low Vcore voltage, super stable. I ran Prime 95 for 24 hours straight & I ran Burn Test 100 times straight with no errors. Once I start going higher on the CPU it gets really hot and the temps become unstable. I need better cooling for better overclocking. This Zalman 9500A doesn't cut it.

* Also I got the C1 Stepping Q9550. Was hoping for the E0, but no dice.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
  9. kfilip

kfilip New Member

GPU:
    ATI 4850
    Hi there and thanks for all the info you have shared. I have been reading OC threads for a few days, then grew some ballz and OC'd my CPU and now here I am with my first humble results! Tadaaa!
    I aimed for a mediocre OC keeping in mind that I use air cooling and want to stay there.
    I started playing with the FSB, strap, vCore, PLL and NB voltages leaving memory timings at auto. I also enabled load line calibration, disabled all spectra, left gtl at auto, disabled ram static read control, disabled cpu features and left everything else on default settings.

I managed to maintain good stability on these settings
    CPU 9x348@ vC 1,2375 - PLL 1,52 (OC utils detected a slightly higher FSB ~349)
    Strap 266
    RAM 873@2,1V (it's a 800Mhz DDR2 and 2,1 is the max recommended)
    NB 1,24
    My major limitation is temps so I tried to find the sweet spot for the lowest voltages. With these settings the system ran quite stable and as I felt this was my best choice with the core temps being 65-68 I ran OCCT 2.0.1 mixed test but it detected error after 1hr 54mins.

I feel I'm near my goal but would appreciate some help with fine tuning from this point on. I probably have a lot to tamper with.

Eagerly waiting for your comments/suggestions o mighty OC'ers ;)

Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  10. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I gotta say, I've never been an extreme overclocker, but this is possibly the best board I've ever used. It makes it so easy to overclock. I'm very glad I got my p45. :D

11. iris1970

iris1970 Member

GPU:
    sapphire radeon HD 4670
  12. kfilip

kfilip New Member

GPU:
    ATI 4850
  13. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    juhuuu^^
    tomorow i get my new hardware..
    e 8400
    asus p5q
    corsair xms2 1066

ill report back tomorow^^ hopefully someone can help me with this.
    i was an amd user till now^^
    greetz BetA

14. iris1970

iris1970 Member

GPU:
    sapphire radeon HD 4670
    p5e deluxe x48 chipset

hi everyone
    im gonna install new MB p5e deluxe to set up crossfire with HD4670
    any advice???
    Is corsair 550watt PSU is enough with this setup???
    thanks

15. IkemenTommy

IkemenTommy Master Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 8800GT 512MB HDMI
    Correct me if I am wrong, but all I have to say is that I noticed that the P5Q-Deluxe and the P5Q-E are a little more on the luxury side with the Power and the Reset buttons built in on the motherboard. They make things a lot easier when you have the computer parts lying around first without the power button switch hooked up and you want to fine tune your computer.

Of course, those fancy little extras come with more expensive price tags!

16. biggerx

biggerx Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070 FTW
    Hey guys, anyone know what the max North Bridge voltage on this board is? I see a lot of people set @ 1.4v

Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
  17. angershark

angershark Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD
  18. gampamu

gampamu Guest

GPU:
    MSI 8800GTS 320
    From what I have seen, 1.2 to 1.3V is adequate for upto around 450FSB. 1.4V and higher is needed when pushing the FSB in access of 500. I wonder what Chispy's setting was for his 621.25.

19. biggerx

biggerx Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070 FTW
  20. angershark

angershark Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD
    :wanker:

Intel spec is 1.21v max, I think. I'm running mine at 1.3 with active cooling (HR-05), the passive heatpipes they put on these boards seem inadequate to me.