DVI - HMDI Converter GTX 260 216 EVGA

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Solace50, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Solace50

Solace50 Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit 560 ti 2gb SLI
    I currently tried to hookup a GTX 260 216 EVGA card to my samsung HDTV with a Monster 1000HD cable. I get video and no sound for some reason with the odd crackling noises from the tv. Has anyone had similar issues or know of a fix? I also have a X-Fi Extreme music PCI sound card with the latest drivers installed. If im correct I should be getting Audio and Video through the HMDI cable right? Ive google as much as i could but too many unrelated search results popped up and nothing matches my problem.

2. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Do you have the SPDIF cable connected? If not, how else do you think the sound is going to be ran through the GPU?!

Either way, it should tell you in the manual how to connect it up if you already havent.

3. Solace50

Solace50 Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit 560 ti 2gb SLI
    oh ok so the spdif cable must be connected for all scenarios. and tbh idk but i was under the influence that the hmdi cable provides both audio and video through the cable. so iin my case i need to enable my on board mobo sound card install drivers for it and link that cable up?

4. texasrattler

texasrattler Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX670 2GB FTW
    HDMI does provide both video and sound but using it on the pc/video card is different than a HDTV or Blu Ray/DVD Player. You have to use the spdif for audio.

5. texasrattler

texasrattler Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX670 2GB FTW
    DO NOT use onboard sound if your using a sound card. Not good to use both. You will likely get some kind of conflict. Your sound card should have a spdif connector. My Audigy 2 does.

6. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 GAMING OC
    You have to connect internally a cable to an spdif output on your motherboard on one side and the other directly to your gtx260 the input should be right next to the 2 pci express power inputs to the left,just remove plastic cover and connect now you should have picture and audio with only the HDMI cable connected.No other cables required from sound card only hdmi cable connected to graphics card on one end and on you HDTV on the other.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2008
  7. fenix322

fenix322 New Member

GPU:
    BFG GTX-260 MAXCORE
    I´ve had the same dilema,and found a solution in the hard way,works fine for me...here we go....remove the main circuit of the front panel of your x-fi,locate the s/dif out on the other side (green side-up side down)....cut the end of your conector that goes to the board or s/c and matches with the ones in the x-fi card,sell of and finish,i hope it works four you,good luck.....

8. Solace50

Solace50 Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit 560 ti 2gb SLI
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2008
  9. Solace50

Solace50 Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit 560 ti 2gb SLI
    weird thing is that theres only two connectors one being the SPDIF_10 contains of 8 pins 5 top 3 bottom and the other AD_EXT which contains 27 pins 14 top row and 13 bottom row... any idea how to attack the wire for the GTX260? it shows GRN for ground and SPDIF on the other wire....

10. nafanya

nafanya New Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 260 896mb
    Hey, dude, i have Sound Blaster Audigy 2 zs but i can't find spdif out on it - can you post a pic where you plugged it in so the sound goes to videocard, please

thanks a lot :)

11. texasrattler

texasrattler Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX670 2GB FTW
    Well I have the Audigy 2 not the zs edition. I can't post a pic cause I don't have one. But the spdif connector is on top of my sound card.

12. VisionHD

VisionHD Active Member

GPU:
    xfx GTX260
    xfx gtx260 DVI to HDMI audio

I have a similar problem.

I have xfx gtx260 video card. I got spdif audio cable with 2 pins on onde side and 2 pins connector on the other side. I boght 5 meters hdmi cable and dvi-m to hdmi-f connector. I didnt get that black hdmi adapter that some people get with xfx gtx260 card.

I connected my bravia lcd tv and pc using this hdmi cable and this adapter. I connected my graphics card and motherboard spdif out (pins on motherboard - P5Q pro) and enabled HDMI option for spdif out in bios (i had two options there one is something like audio or digital and the other was HDMI audio). I didnt find any options for spdif pins in windows or realek drivers, just for rca jack on the back. So the only option i found for those two pins on my motherboard is the one i found in BIOS.

I got the perfect picture on my lcd tv, but i didnt manage to get audio. I was using windows media player and I tried watching some hd .mkv files and ordinary .avi files. I must mention that i have sound blaster audigy 2 za platinum pro also installed on my system and it is enabled. Unfortunately, audigy 2 zs internal part of the card does not have any pins except ones for joystick port.

Any tips on this. As far as I understood, these cards have the spdif connector next to power connectors because they can carry sound over dvi to hdmi adapter.

I spent days trying to solve this problem.

Someone plase make my life much easier and with one audio cable less in my room :)

13. Saee

Saee Active Member

GPU:
    9600GT 714/1800/2304
    @ VisionHD
    I'm afraiad I have bad news for you.you see,if you have an HDMI connector on your
    graphic card all is well.You only need to connect the spdif out 2 pin cable.But
    if you have only dvi connectors on your graphic card,you have to use a dvi to
    hdmi converter.Now here is the catch;dvi only carries video,not audio.Hence your
    problem.
    Anyway,try to set output to digital spdif out in realtek audio control panel and
    see if it works.I don't think it does,but just give it a try.

14. Colt M4

Colt M4 Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX 970 SC Sli
    For the mean time while your trying to figure out your problem get yourself a mini-plug to RCA plug wire so you can get audio. It should be HDMI 4 port has 2 audio inputs.

A little off topic but if you have a 60hz Sony turn off Cinemotion on any video files that aren't DVDs it causing jumping because of the 3-2 pulldown.

15. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Wrong wrong wrong. All he needs is an DVI to HDMI cable and to connect the 2 pin SPDIF cable from the video card to the correct header on the sound card or the motherboard.
    If you were correct none of the 260/280 would work because they all have dual DVI outputs...sigh...

16. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Your easiest solution if you have onboard sound is use that. I'm guessing your add on card disabling the SPDIF output on your mother board.

17. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Sad to say, you your internal SB card doesn't have the correct connector to work with the pass through wire that connects to the video card. I just have the Realtek onboard that I connected up to my Sony Bravia using a DVI to HDMI cable and the SPDIF header on the Motherboard connected to my GTX 280 and it works perfect. With my 8800 Ultra I had to use the mini phono plug to RCA route. Honestly If you want to use your SB card neatly taping the sound cable to the video cable works out well enough and will save you the trouble of swithing. Or you could get another sound card with SPDIF on it :puke2:

18. Saee

Saee Active Member

GPU:
    9600GT 714/1800/2304
    @ heavyHemi
    I am very happy I am wrong.I just wanted to know if the method you say works on cards other than 260 & 280.I have 2 dvi connectors on my graphic card and spdif
    out connectors on both my mobo(can be set to work in hdmi mode) & on my graphic card.I'm asking because I 'm gonna buy an hdtv soon.

19. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Call me crazy, but the X-Fi Xtreme Music doesn't have SPDIF, do the other models?

20. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    If your card has the 2 pin SPDIF connector and your motherboard also has the correct SPDIF header then it should work.