The Left 4 Dead Thread

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Nov 1, 2008.

1. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    [​IMG]

Left 4 Dead (abbreviated L4D) is an upcoming multiplayer co-operative survival horror first-person shooter game by Valve Corporation. The game has been built using Valve's Source engine and will be available on Steam and the Xbox 360.

Left 4 Dead pits four human playable or AI controlled survivors of an apocalyptic pandemic against hordes of aggressive "Infected". The Survivors' goal is to help each other make it through various scenarios to safety.
    The Infected are controlled by an AI that dynamically balances difficulty and mood depending on the players' progress and situation.
    In an alternate game mode, human players can control up to four mutated Boss Infected with special abilities and cooperate to stop the Survivor players.

Gameplay:

Left 4 Dead is played in first-person perspective, where up to four players take control of the four main characters of the game; the "Survivors".
    If four human players are not available to play, the Survivors can also be AI-controlled bots. They play through the levels fighting off the Infected, which are humans who have been infected with a mysterious disease.
    The game is focused on cooperation and team play; colored outlines are visible through walls to help players stick together and coordinate their movement, and Survivors can be knocked down by the Infected and only helped up by another player.
    If a teammate is downed after being helped up twice, without tending to his wounds in between, the player is out and must wait 60 seconds before respawning.
    Certain "Boss Infected" also command special attacks, such as a Hunter's pin, which requires assistance from a teammate to get out of.
    Survivors can also share first-aid kits and help each other heal. Left 4 Dead has full friendly fire that cannot be switched off, increasing the need for caution around other Survivors.
    The Survivors communicate by automated voice commands that are accessed by quick menus, and some will also sound off automatically when doing such things as reloading or spotting Infected.
    Over 1000 unique lines have been recorded for each Survivor.
    Additional communication of player actions is conveyed through character lights. Also, weapon-mounted flashlights and muzzle flashes help the players in determining whether their companions are shooting, performing melee attacks, reloading or moving.

The game is experienced through four scenarios that take place in various urban and rural locales, such as a hospital, an airport and a murky countryside.
    Each scenario is divided into several shorter sections marked by safehouse checkpoints, where players can heal, re-arm, calm their nerves, save their progress and retrieve players who were killed.
    The levels are neither linear nor completely open-ended or free-roaming. There are a number of alternate routes to follow with more supplies and alternate objectives.
    At the end of each scenario, the players must defend a position from an onslaught of Infected until rescue arrives.
    Each scenario lasts between 45 and 75 minutes.

The intro video: http://store.steampowered.com/app/5141/

Screenshots: http://store.steampowered.com/screenshot/view/6039?size=1024

system requirements:

* CPU: 3.0 GHz P4, Dual Core 2.0 or AMD64X2 (or higher)
    * RAM: 1 GB for XP / 2GB for Vista
    * Disc drive: DVD-ROM Drive
    * Hard drive: At least 7.5 GB of free space
    * Video: Direct X 9 compatible video card - Video card must be 128 MB or more and should be a DirectX 9-compatible with support for pixel shader 2.0 (ATI 9600 or high. Or, Nvidia 6600 or higher)
    * Sound: Direct X9.0c compatible sound card

Available: November 18th, 2008
    If you have pre-ordered you can play the demo on the 6th already.

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left_4_Dead

Especially after watching the intro movie, i wanna play this thing, did anyone else pre-order it like me ?

2. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    i don't understand, the game contains levels say like Max Payne, dead space etc where you run and kill zombies in single player except you can have up to 4 real players playing the singleplayer levels?

3. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    yes. Co-op games are often singleplayer levels , but you can play them with your friends , or bots lol :)
    did you ever play the serious sam series , or gears of war?
    Some games also have mods available that lets you play co-op for instance doom3 or farcry. so you really play like a team then :D

4. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    So each level in single player game will be different when u play them again..due DIRECTOR AI. right?

5. mandex

mandex Guest

GPU:
    XFX 5770
    Yes
    4char
    EDIT2:Not only the single, but the multiplayer too(maybe this is OFC, but who knows ;p)

EDIT :

@ WhiteLightning
    Can I ask you something? I`ll throw all new Info of L4D here, and could you put them on the first post? (I want to kill the other thread because it is a bit, or too much, disordered) thx ;p

Valve doing it great, yay o/

Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
  6. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Looking forward to this too, should be great fun palying story driven multiplayer online.

7. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    sure go again, ill add the info :)

8. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    So is this saying that if we have multiple controllers (even on PC) we can play at the same time on one screen in a co-op mode with our friends?

Also does anyone think this is Valve's next big title?

9. Fe-Man

Fe-Man Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD4890 1GB
    I'm pretty sure the coop is via internet, not split screen...

10. evilkiller650

evilkiller650 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 980ti AMP! Extreme
    This is gonna be brilliant!

11. Exige245

Exige245 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT
    Game of the year for sure!

12. Loki91

Loki91 Guest

GPU:
    nVIDIA 8800GTS 512MB @670
    I'm surprised not many people know (much) about Left 4 Dead... but I guess that's what this thread's for.

Loving what I'm seeing so far, would've preordered it (and 3 more to gift to friends :p), but with all the important L4D dates (demo, retail release) landing in the middle of my exams... I'll be a latecomer to the zombie apocalypse :(.

13. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    nice, errr...of course i played SS and GOW :D

in other words L4D will be just like LEGO games, the 2nd character is controlled by CPU unless a human jumps in and takes control of the 2nd character. that's cool. :p must buy then.

14. anticitizen013

anticitizen013 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x R9 280X CrossFire
    I preordered it but I leave for some training soon and it's released soon after I leave, so I'll be gone for about 3 weeks before I can play it... noooo!!! :p

Oh well, looks like an absolute blast. It'll be well worth the wait for sure.

15. Rifle_Grunt

Rifle_Grunt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 460 TOP + 88k physx
    Demo should be out soon...

16. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    personally i won't preorder it, since i'm still a tiny bit unsure about the final gameplay so it's better for me to try the demo first. ;)

edit: gameplay clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSSHqNicKSs

hmm....

Last edited: Nov 2, 2008
  17. mandex

mandex Guest

GPU:
    XFX 5770

Thx man ;D

Hmmm, I didn't read anything about split screen for pc (There's for xbox360)
    As they did it for 360, could there be for pc after the release, i don't know.But this would be fun (SLI dual monitor would find a great use here)

And yes! It's one of valve's big title. I think inovative as portal, but with more dedication and complexity.

Yeah, but the ones who knows it want to play it, now! And I'm studying for test too, oh sad ;p

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/left4dead/video/6200123/left-4-dead-gameplay-movie-8

that video of yours didn't seem that special. But hm, the gameplay changes from the how you play (the better you play, the harders it gets)

http://www.left4dead411.com/left-4-dead-guide

this one shows that in first video

edit: the link of gamespot is not only for the number 8, but for all others.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2008
  18. metaltoiletry

metaltoiletry Maha Guru

GPU:
    XFX HD5870
    While driving on the interstate in Boston last night I saw a giant billboard for Left4Dead. :D

I pre-ordered it the moment I was able to. Now I am glad I did because the demo will be available Thursday!

19. BaDmOfO

BaDmOfO Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 liquid
    Pre-ordered my copy. I hate waiting for the final countdown..argh my lust for this game is excruciating..lol.

Available: November 18th, 2008

This game will unlock in approximately 2 weeks, and 12 hours

I guess the demo release this week with satiate some of my yearnings, at least enough to where I can last another 2 weeks...

20. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    Cant wait for the game. The moment i get paid from my job i am ordering it through Steam. :)