My Vista installation nightmare. (Help!)

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Doug, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Doug

Doug Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Hi

I've got XP Pro 32 and decided it was time to go for Vista Ultimate 64. I made a new partition on my HD, XP is installed on the main partition, crap is stored on the second, and the third is the new one.

So I start installing Vista and it all goes well, I get to the time and date setup wizard etc then when I go to log-in for the first time, the Vista logo pops up like normal then the PC reboots, gets passed post then gives me some text about 'Vista Bootloader 1.2.1' or something similar. It tries to boot but fails and has to resort to 'fallback 1' where it looks for 'bootmgr'.. and fails, so it tries fallback 2 to boot XP and that fails.

I have now managed to get back onto XP after alot of grief (Had to install vista again and during one of the reboots it does I have to choose not to carry on with installation but to load older version of Windows.)

I have tried to install 3 times now. If I boot from DVD it gets passed the boot screen and I get to a vista backdrop with a cursor, which after about 3 minutes turns into the first part of the installation wizard, woo! :D

Has anyone encountered this before? Or know a way around it? I was thinking I might just buy a new HD, unplug my current one and install Vista on that from scratch, that should work, right? I can't afford to format my HD or I would.

Any help greatly appreciated, thanks.

2. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    You mean Vista loader. The Vista loader is used for the OEM crack. So who knows what went wrong, if you want to play with pirated software don't expect it to always work. ;)

3. icywind32

icywind32 Master Guru

GPU:
    ati 6970 2gb
    lawl i got vista ult 32bit and it works just fine >.> reads all my 4gigs of mem too.... and have a 64bit win xp on partition also

4. Doug

Doug Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
    thats great :/

Where i got it there was loads of people saying it works 100%, I think it's just my drive tbh, its already got 2 xp's sat on it

5. Renegade8100

Renegade8100 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    i had that problem once, i just redid the boot.ini for xp to allow for a new set of boot options.. my copy was legit though and it was in beta testing. your stuff sounds rather.. pirated

6. Doug

Doug Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I can select to boot vista from the boot menu but i just get the loader, booting from disc just repeats installation. tis a vicious circle.

7. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    What can i say, we are not really allow to discuss these matters.

If installing Vista breaks XP then something is wrong with your DVD. If installing Vista reboots the system, your likely crashing. Make sure you install Vista with SP1 on the DVD. If you can get as far as you did the first time, it's not likely that you will solve your problem by installing to another HD. IMO your Vista sounds borked.

8. Doug

Doug Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Hmm ok. I get to a different point each time, this last time I didnt even get to log in - vista logo then reboot. Ok thanks for your replies

9. Lethal Abz

Lethal Abz Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 470
    your all going on about how pirated software is wrong, i bet 99% of you have pirated vista too! its funny how people go crazy over these type of issues when they do it themselves.

10. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    It won't use all 4 gb unless it's a 64-bit windows os.

11. darknight909

darknight909 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 2080
    Awww I was hoping I would get to burst his bubble......

A 32-bit OS can only access a total of 4GB for the whole system (including video ram)

12. Doug

Doug Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I just dug an oooold 40gb HDD out of a box, formatted and vista installed fine. :/ wtf.. lol

13. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    fail. :D should've sticked to XP, you just wasted moments of your life that you won't get back and had to go through a lot of grief too instead of gaming, listening to music and enjoy your life the way it was meant to be enjoyed. lol

Since you already gone through hell and back and considering Vista installed fine on your 40GB drive, this points clearly to a SATA problem (software most likely or bios option like Raid or AHCI etc), your 40GB is probably an IDE drive?

try turning off RAID in your bios completely and use your main Sata drives in compatability mode (ide mode), you lose some sata features and raid but at least it will prove that your problem is SATA related (drivers or hardware).

my 50 dollar cents euro yen gbp, i accept any kind of money. :grin:

14. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    You just failed terribly year by saying that. any vista64 bit user will tell ya :)

15. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    except i was kidding, the guy looked depressed from all the crap that happened to him. lol :p

16. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    its time you move to vista Year :D :D :D

17. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    nein! :grin:

anyway let's see what DougK says about his Vista problem and hopefully fixes it.

18. Doug

Doug Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Well it sort of is fixed as far as running fine on a different ANCIENT hard drive, both drives I tried it on were IDE.

It couldn't be a SATA problem as I don't even own a SATA drive :p I reckon it just didn't like being installed on a logical partition rather than the primary.

Maybe having 2 copies of XP installed on the drive made it fall over? Triple boot bad? I dont know ;o

Going to buy a new SATA drive and shove it on there me thinks. Only wanted vista so I could use full 4gb of ram, even though it gets lost to the system anyway :p

Last edited: Oct 31, 2008
  19. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Some of us actually buy our software.

20. Abfab126

Abfab126 Member

GPU:
    Saphire Radeon 5870
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lethal Abz View Post
    your all going on about how pirated software is wrong, i bet 99% of you have pirated vista too! its funny how people go crazy over these type of issues when they do it themselves.
    Some of us actually buy our software.

lol ...of course but MOST of them DONT ...Boooh BAD BAD come on be realistic,cant you feel the ground under your feet, are you on earth?